Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

<< Retour au forum || Aller tout en bas

Thèmes généraux, jeux, chansons, traductions...
Tout ce qui n'a pas un rapport direct avec les difficultés liées à la langue anglaise: par exemple, les thèmes généraux sur l'apprentissage de la langue, les jeux, les demandes de traductions de chansons etc.

Ce sujet est fermé, vous ne pouvez pas poster de réponses

Reading(2) ?
Message de jardin62 posté le 01-04-2005 à 08:35:08 (S | E | F | I)

- Article repris tel quel du: 'The Daily Telegraph' - 30th of March- Rien que du bonheur grâce à un chien... Article un peu plus long (je l'ai donc coupé en 2 parties) mais pas difficile à comprendre dans ses grandes lignes. Vous avez tout le weekend pour le savourer.
Titre : 'Dog swept out to sea turns up after six weeks' (by Richard Saville)

- WHEN a wave swept two-year-old Netty off a seawall six weeks ago, her owners were convinced their dog had drowned. Holidaymakers John and Christin Bailye, both 57, spoke to the lifeboat crew in Seaton, Cornwall, about tides and spent two days looking for her, before reluctantly returning home.
They were so sure they would not see their pet again, and so missed having a dog, that they bought a labrador puppy called Saffy as a replacement.
Now they have two dogs in the house because Netty has turned up alive and well.
'We were convinced Netty had drowned' said Mr Baylie, a farmer, from Hammerwich, Staffs. 'It is the most amazing comeback since Lazarus, and my wife and I are so happy to have her home...
( 'How has Netty managed to survive? ' Read the next episode...in 'Reading'3!==> to be followed.)
* Good reading!
Prononciation: ' = syllabe accentuée
*crew:KR / drowned:DRND / a'live :LV / 'Lazarus : LZRS /
Structures intéressantes :
* 'two-year-old Netty ' => pas de pluriel à 'year' -nom composé
* to sweep (Nettie) 'off' : place de 'off'
* (to) look + 'for' : nous avons vu dans l'article précédent (to) look 'after' (soigner)=> c'est la particule qui donne le sens précis au verbe 'look'.
* le superlatif de supériorité: the most amazing (amazing > adjectif dit 'long').
Vocabulaire :
* (to) drown > (se) noyer
* reluctantly>adverbe formé sur 'reluctant' (adj) > à contre coeur/ avec répugnance
* (to) turn up > réapparaître / faire (son) apparition
* so (ici) n'a pas le sens de 'donc': je vous laisse faire!
* owners : propriétaires/ (to) own>posséder
Que faire? au choix!
1- Lire...
2- Plaindre John & Christin
3-Admirer Nettie
4- Suggérer (ce qui a pu arriver pour qu'elle s'en sorte, et revienne 6 semaines après)
5- Traduire...

6- Raconter (si une histoire semblable est arrivée à votre chat ou à votre chien...)

7- Question subsidiaire : 'Staffs'

Réponse: Reading(2) ? de jardin62, postée le 01-04-2005 à 08:45:25 (S | E)
J'oublie de dire que personnellement je me suis demandée quelle tête avait fait cette malheureuse Netty en voyant Saffy installée dans son panier!
'If animals could speak!'

Réponse: Reading(2) ? de masselotte, postée le 01-04-2005 à 18:53:05 (S | E)
Bonsoir à toutes et à tous
merci jardin62 pour cet exercice

1) Traduction
Quand une vague baleya Netty agée de deux ans sur la digue il y a six semaines ,ses maître étaient persuadés que leur chienne était noyée.Les estivants John et christin Bailye, tous deux âgés de 57 ans ,parlérent au sauveteur de seaton ,cornwall,concernant les marais ,et passèrent deux jours à la chercher ,avant de retourner chez eux à contre coeur .
Ils étaient tellement certain de ne plus voir leur chien ,et de l'avoir perdu qu'ils achetérent un jeune labrador appellé Saffy pour remplacer Netty .
Maitenant ils ont deux chiens à la maison,parceque Netty est arrivée en vie et en bonne santé.
Nous étions persuadés que Netty était noyée dit mister Balie,un fermier provenant de hammerwich.
C'est le plus stupéfiant retour depuis Lazarus,et ma femme et moi sommes tellement content de la revoir à la maison

2) It was very difficult for John and Christin to lose their dog,but I can imagine,or rather to feel their grief,their fear, and their disarray,when they saw their pet disappear

3)For Netty the dog it is a good swimmer and it have a good sense of direction to come back to her home alone it's truth I don't know how Netty has done it .)

4)I think that Netty has got a lot of friends all over the world ,who are always ready to help it ,to give some foods, some drinks,and same a kennel to spend a good night

6) There is not happen to me a similar story ,because I have not a dog but a cat.And my cat is independent and it stay at the home

jardin62 see you soon

Réponse: Reading(2) ? de ruofei, postée le 02-04-2005 à 03:52:52 (S | E)
bonjour bonjour jardin!!!!
J'espère que vous allez bien.
"If animals could speak!"...oh no, don't get me started on this crazy topic !!!!!

1- Lire... Done!
2- Plaindre John & Christin.. Unlucky them!!
3-Admirer Nettie... What a brave dog!!!
(shorty short answers!!)

4- Suggérer.... let me guess…um…she swims up to the surface of the sea as best she can, makes for another 2 or 3 leagues and eventually lands her ‘paws’ onshore an island. There, she meets a friendly Fairy siren to whom she asks directions. The Fairy siren, growing pretty old, says her orientation sense isn’t what it used to be and therefore cannot tell the dog its way home. But she grants her 2 wishes instead. Netty wishes for 1) a great sea wind that could blow her home, 2) a nice surprise that would await her when back home. So, a great wind starts roaring and carries her all the way home, where she finds a somehow nice ‘puppy Labrador surprise’ !

5- Traduire.... it's done but I'll post it later

6- Raconter....I'll also tell you the story of my cat later...

7- Staffs is to Staffordshire like Leics is to Leicester!

Réponse: Reading(2) ? de jardin62, postée le 02-04-2005 à 09:00:38 (S | E)
To masselotte: you 'll have the correction of your translation later on.
1- Construction (réponse 1) : 'I can imagine or rather to feel... when they realised (perhaps better than 'saw)') their dog had disappeared -past perfect : avait disparu/ concordance des temps-
2-As far as Nettie is concerned (expression utile pour dire 'en ce qui concerne' Nettie) : Dogs are good swimmers and they have a sense of direction (= le sens de la direction ) (or 'the sixth sense'). She was able to come back home 'by herself' ('alone' perd le sens de par elle-même, par ses propres moyens)/ It's true that ...(truth = le nom 'vérité'/it's true = c'est vrai que.)
4- Nettie must have (doit avoir) lots of friends round the world ready to supply her (on sait que Nettie est une femelle, elle a droit à 'her' with foods
( singulier) and even (same = même quand on compare / we have the same teacher) a kennel.
6- 'A similar story didn't happen to me ( construction )...(Parlant de votre chat vous pouvez dire 'she' ou 'he' selon le sexe) / stays (3ème pers du Sing présent simple)
* Beaucoup de travail! félicitations ( *'Pour qui jardin62 se prend-elle?' )
**J'aime bien taquiner, ne m'en veuillez pas, ce sont de vieux restes d'enfance et en plus, la fréquentation d'élèves n'arrange pas les choses!
Au fait, masselotte, vous qui avez un 'he ou she-cat', voici une petite expression qui correspond à l'expression française : 'C'est une perle! : he/she is the cat's whiskers!' (whiskers = les moustaches du chat)
Have a nice sunny day!

Réponse: Reading(2) ? de jardin62, postée le 02-04-2005 à 09:07:36 (S | E)
J'avais posté une réponse à ruofei...je ne la retrouve plus. Si quelqu'un la rencontre, s'il vous plaît, qu'il me la rende! Elle s'appelle Nettie, elle a été emportée par une grosse vague, et je n'ai pas envie de la remplacer par Saffie.

-------------------
Edité par bridg le 02-04-2005 09:10
Là c'est visiblement une fausse manipulation de ta part

Réponse: Reading(2) ? de jardin62, postée le 02-04-2005 à 09:27:27 (S | E)
Merci bridg': Quand je dis que je suis une 'scatterbrain'! Si je devais changer de 'pseudo' il m'irait comme un gant.
(Que les 'seniors' de rassurent, même à 3 ans, j'étais comme ça : (Crâne de piaf' = cervelle d'oiseau! disait my dad!)
à ruofei : je vais vous renvoyer une réponse ' before sunset!'

Réponse: Reading(2) ? de jardin62, postée le 02-04-2005 à 11:27:44 (S | E)
to ruofei :
Hi !
(I did a wrong manoeuvre this morning and I lost my message.)

- So ! : / you've read = fine! / you 've taken a lot of time to pity John and Christin who'll be so moved with your 'unlucky of them' ! You have warmly congratulated Nettie('what a brave dog!')...
- What I sincerely admire most is your idea about how Nettie managed to escape. I am sure the reporters from the DD would never have imagined it. So obvious when you come to think of it! (Uum! Uum!... I think it's because all their old FS (Fairy Sirens) have been made redundant and sent in a retreat house upthere in Scotland not far from Loch'Ness-Monster- Nessie .)
-There's a point which I can't agree with you on: ' a nice puppy Labrador surprise' ! I can't help thinking about the proverb that says : 'one (dog) drives out the memory of another' - That a surprise should await her at home sounds natural, but 'a puppy'! a rival in other words ! I can't stomach it.
- This desagreement shouldn't spoil our good relationship, of course : you have a total freedom of thought.
=> Take your time to translate.
=> Be sure I am looking forwards reading about your cat's whiskers and masselotte as well for she,too, has a cat.
=> Very clever of you for : 'Staffs: The S being short for -Shire.

Have a nice end of day.

Réponse: Reading(2) ? de gewurz, postée le 03-04-2005 à 19:03:18 (S | E)
1- I read it.
2- I feel really sorry for John & Christin.
3- I admire her.

4- Netty was on the pier, sniffing the guano left by some gulls.
She didn't trust those dropping bombers since she had got one
on the muzzle. She liked to have a stroll on the seawall with her owners,
smelling fragrances, feeling the wind raising her hairs.

She didn't understand why the water came up to her and suddenly swept her off the seawall. Water was not her foe, even though she preferred to see it in a bowl or a puddle rather than to feel it all around her, forcing her to move her legs and to shake herself after.

Netty didn't have the time to realize, that yet she was sinking deeply
in the sea. An irresitible force carried her down to the bottom.
She was feeling this sensation for the first time but as her nature
wasn't belligerent, she let herself be guided with astonishment
by this invisible force which was carrying her towards a narrow pipe.

Subconsciously, she had been holding her breath since she had fallen
into the sea, as if she had become one of these strange animals with a
rounded and smooth muzzle, swimming in the water. The current brutally
made her get into the pipe which was coming out of the seawall, and after some impacts and bruises, Netty got some air back in a kind of cave.

She managed to climb onto the emerged part with difficulties and shook
herself vigourously. Darkness wasn't complete, some rays filtered here and there, giving to shapes the power of which colours were usually winning the monopoly (???).
(Des rayons filtraient de-ci de-là, procurant aux formes le pouvoir
dont les couleurs s'octroyaient habituellement le monopole.)

Netty moved forward in the middle of that path which was flanked by
water. She could hear this awful roar that made the walls of the cave
vibrate. She could also see enough not to slide one more time into the water and then covered a good distance to leave behind her this tumble
that sounded like thousand packs of enraged hounds.

The earth path soon reached a little sidewalk along a concrete wall.
She followed the pavement when she saw several red dots a few meters
ahead of her. Dots that were moving about. She was a little dog, she knew fear but first of all, she was very curious. She started to move forward when...
a blinding light forced her eyes closed. Her watch stopped and she
suddenly found herself in front of her owners' house.

She didn't know how she had been able to come back home. She could only remember strange shapes, weird feelings. She knocked at the door with her claw and her owner pulled open the door.

5- I translated it (in my head).
6- Nothing has happened to my cat.
7- 'Staffs' = Staffordshire

-------------------
Edité par gewurz le 03-04-2005 20:12

Réponse: Reading(2) ? de jardin62, postée le 03-04-2005 à 21:11:25 (S | E)

-' Queer... such a little event, in such a little town, to simple people on a simple holiday ... giving birth to such a dream'!

Réponse: Reading(2) ? de ruofei, postée le 04-04-2005 à 08:22:29 (S | E)
Gewurz: your version takes us far away from my fanciful story! I kind of prefer yours actually….what you wrote is amazing…thank you for sharing your writing skills with us (you’re a bit of a novelist!)
[Sunrays were filtering through it here and there, allowing shapes to outperform colours at last....I found no way to mention 'monopoly']

I'll finish up the exercice:
5- Traduire...
Six semaines de cela, Netty, 2 ans, est emportée par une vague depuis le haut d’une digue, ses maîtres sont alors convaincus qu’elle s’est noyée. Les vacanciers J. et C. Bailye, tous deux 57 ans, parlèrent de marées avec l’équipe de secours de Seaton, Cournailles, et passèrent 2 jours à chercher Netty avant de retourner chez eux à contre Coeur. Ils étaient si certains de ne jamais revoir leur compagnon et que la présence d’un chien leur manquerait, qu’ils achetèrent un bébé Labrador pour la remplacer, Saffy. Ils ont maintenant 2 chiens à la maison parce que Netty est revenue vivante et en pleine forme!
“Nous étions convaincus que Netty s’était noyée’, témoigne Mr Baylie, fermier à Hammerwich, Staffordshire. ‘C’est le retour le plus étonnant depuis celui de Lazarus and ma femme et moi-même sommes vraiment heureux de l’avoir de retour à la maison!”

6- Raconter I love telling stories so much!!!!:
This is the story of my never-come back-home cat called Paco-Elgado (his friend called him Paco ). He was a kind of outgoing and rather independent cat: he would spent 3 days venturing around and show up when only he was starving (atypical cat behavior, isn’t it?). Well, one day he disappeared and after going through 2 weeks of total stress ….I started to worry and thought up different horrible things that could have happened to him: crashed by a car, stuck at the top of a 7 feet tall tree and shaved by crows, tortured to death by some mice militia, gobbled down by an ogre… I had to face the facts: he was never going to come back home. 3 months later, as I was walking around the village, I found my beloved Paco chilling out in an old woman’s courtyard (she’s [no kidding] the top 1 cat owner in the village with 13 cats squatting her house, a very big house that looks on the river)…My supposedly murdered cat, had in fact ran away from home to live a better life with the record cat owner of the village.
[no fantasy here, this truthfully happened]

Réponse: Reading(2) ? de gewurz, postée le 05-04-2005 à 00:50:28 (S | E)
Very kind your ex-cat

get him back and offer him lots of good things, like carpaccio, green beans, chocolate. He will stay with you

Ce sujet est fermé, vous ne pouvez pas poster de réponse.

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux