Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Un accident choquant ! Thème 1 (1)

<< Exercices du forum || En bas

POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE

Un accident choquant ! Thème 1
Message de violet91 posté le 11-03-2008 à 20:01:30 (S | E | F)

Bonjour, les amis..vous avez eu le temps de vous sécher de votre douche...en voici , une autre !

----------Un accident choquant! ----(1ère partie)

C'est un jeudi matin, à la récréation ,entre le deuxième et troisième cours, que Jérôme fut convoqué dans le bureau du surveillant général....

L'homme , M. Wordsworth, était assis derrière son bureau, avec un drôle d'air embarrassé et inquiet. Jérôme eut l'impression bizarre d'être devenu l'objet -même de cette angoisse.

-"Asseyez-vous donc, Jérôme " commença M. Wordsworth. " Tout va bien en trigonométrie ? " -"Oui,monsieur." -" Je viens de recevoir un coup de téléphone, Jérôme . De votre tante. J'ai bien peur d'avoir à vous annoncer une mauvaise nouvelle ." -" Vrai,monsieur ?" -" Votre père ..a eu un accident ."
-" Oh!.." M. Wordsworth le regarda, quelque peu surpris. -"Un accident grave! " - "Ah!Bon , monsieur? "

Jérôme vénérait littéralement son père : c'est le terme exact. Comme l'homme qui recrée Dieu , Jérôme recréait son père de la même façon. Une fois , c'était un auteur veuf et intrépide pour devenir ensuite un mystérieux aventurier qui voyageait dans de lointaines contrées...Nice, Beyrouth, Majorque, et pourquoi pas les Canaries. Quand vint la période de son huitième anniversaire , Jérôme en était même arrivé à le croire soit authentique trafiquant d'armes , soit carrément membre des Services Secrets Britanniques.

A cet instant, l'idée lui traversa l'esprit qu'il avait pu être blessé sous une grêle de balles crachées par des mitraillettes.
M. Wordsworth jouait avec la règle posée sur son bureau. Il cherchait désespérément les mots pour poursuivre...Il se lança : -" Vous étiez au courant que votre père était à Naples ?" -"Oui, monsieur." -" C'est l'hôpital qui a prévenu votre tante aujourd'hui."- " Ah ?"

Retenez votre souffle ,attrapez éventuellement un mouchoir et préparez-vous à une surprise de choc! See you. Have a nice time!!

Un travail imprévu me fait repousser la correction au jeudi 20 mars .merci de votre compréhension.. -------------------
Modifié par bridg le 11-03-2008

Réponse: Un accident choquant ! Thème 1 de maya92, postée le 12-03-2008 à 17:46:27 (S | E)
Hello Violet,

A shocking accident !

Thursday morning during the break between the second and the third class, Jérome was summoned to the chief supervisor's office.
The man, Mr Wordsworth, was sitting behind his desk with a funny ill-at-ease uneasy look. Jérôme had the strange feeling that he had become the very purpose of this anxiety.
"Do sit down, Jérome" Mr. Wordsworth began "Is trigonometry alright ?"
"Yes, Sir"
"I've just got a phone call from your aunt. I'm afraid I've bad news for you"
"Have you Sir ?"
"Your father..had an accident"
"Oh"
Mr. W looked at him rather surprised
"A serious accident !"
"Oh, well Sir ?"
Jérôme literally worshipped his father : that's the right word. As man recreates God, Jérome in the same way recreated his father. Once he was a
widowed and dauntless author, another time a mysterious adventurer traveling to far-off lands.. Nice, Beirut,Majorca and why not the Canaries..When he had reached his eighth birthday, Jérôme had even come to believe his father was either a genuine arms dealer or definitely a member of the Secret Service. At that point an idea occured to him that he could have been wounded under a hail of bullets spat out by machine guns.
Mr. W was fiddling with the rule on his desk.He was desperately looking for the words to carry on..He started :
"You knew your father was in Naples, didn't you ?"
"Yes, Sir"
"The hospital informed your aunt today"
"Really.."

Thank you Violet I'm waiting eagerly for next chapter(s) !

Réponse: Un accident choquant ! Thème 1 de nick27, postée le 12-03-2008 à 18:23:31 (S | E)
Hi violet!
What a great idea to keep on posting such good exercises

Jérôme got asked to go to the school director's office on a Thursday morning, at recess, between the second and the third class.
The man, Mr. Wordsworth, was sitting at his desk with a funny embarrassed and worried expression on his face. Jérôme felt like he'd become the cause itself of this anxiety.

- "Please sit down Jérôme" Mr. Wordsworth said to him. "So is everything's going well for you in trigonometry?"
- "Yes, sir"
- "I just got a phone call from your aunt Jérôme. I'm afraid I have to tell you some bad news".
- "True, sir?"
- "Your dad ... has had an accident."
- "Oh!..."
Mr. Wordsworth stared at him a bit surprised !
- "He's had a serious accident!"
- "Really sir?"

Jérôme grealty admired his father : that's the right word. That's the man who recreates God, Jérôme recreates his father the same way. Sometimes he was a widowed and intrepid author and then, a few minutes later, he became a mysterious adventurer who took regular trips to far-off countries ... Nice, Beyrouth, Majorca and why not the Canary islands. When Jérôme turned 8 he even came to believe he was either a true weapon-trafficker or a British Intelligence Agency member.

At this very moment, the idea he could've gotten hurt by a great amount of bullets fired away from sub-machine guns ran through his mind.
Mr. Wordsworth was playing with the ruler set on his desk. He was desperately looking for the right words that would allow him to go on... then He went for it :
- "Did you know your dad was in Naples?"
- "I did, sir"
- "This is the hospital that called your aunt today"
- "Ah"

Réponse: Un accident choquant ! Thème 1 de pepe69, postée le 13-03-2008 à 16:49:53 (S | E)
Hello violet,
Here is my answer:

A shocking accident,

On a Thursday morning, during the break, between the second and the third class, Jérôme was called to the chief supervisor's office.
Mr.Wordsworth was sitting at his desk, with an uneasy, anxious, funny look. Jérôme had a strange feeling that he had become the real subject of his anguish.
"Do take a seat, Jérôme," Mr.Wordsworth said. "Is trigonometry all right?"
"Yes Sir."
"I just got a phone call from your aunt, Jérôme. I'm very much afraid I have to tell you some bad news."
"Right Sir?"
"Your father........has had an accident."
"Oh!..."
Mr.Wordsworth looked at him, rather surprised."
"A serious accident!"
"Really, Sir?"
Jérôme literally venerated his father: that's the right term. Just as well that man recreates God, Jérôme, in the same way, recreated his father. Once, he was a widowed, intrepid author and then he become a mysterious adventurer travelling in far-off lands.....Nice, Beyrouth, Mayorque, and, why not, Les Canaries. When Jérôme turned eight, he had even come to believe his father was either a real arms dealer or even a member of the British Secret Service.
At this very instant, he suddently thought his father could have been wounded under a hail of gunfire shot with submachine guns.
Mr. Wordsworth was playing with the ruler which was on his desk. He was desperately looking up the right words to go on...
He began: "Did you know your father was in Naples?"
"Yes Sir."
That's the hospital that called your aunt today."
"Ah well."
violet et bonne soirée.
pepe69

Réponse: Un accident choquant ! Thème 1 de nanette33, postée le 14-03-2008 à 10:03:53 (S | E)
Hello violet! good morning from Bordeaux!

A schoking accident (first part)

Jérôme was called to the chief supervisor's office on a Thursday morning, during the break between the second and the third class...

The man, M. Wordsworth, was sitting behind his desk with a strange embarrased and anxious look. Jérôme had a strange feeling to be become the very subject of this anguish.

-"Please, sit down, Jérôme" M. Wordsworth started. "Does all go well with the trigonometry? " -"yes, Sir." -"I have just received a phone call, Jérôme. From your Aunt. I'm afraid to have bad news for you" -"Really, Sir?" -"Your father have had an accident."
-" Oh!.." M. Wordsworth looked at him, a little bit surprised. -"A serious accident!" - "Really, Sir? "

Jérôme revered literally his father ; That's the right word. As man recreates God, Jérôme recreated his father in the same way. Once, he was a widowed and intrepid author, an d then a mysterious adventurer travelling to some distant lands... Nice, Beirut, Majorque and, why not, the Canaries. When he turned eight, Jérôme had even come to believe he was either a real weapon trafficker or straight a member of the British Secret Services.

At this time, it occured to him that her father could have been wounded under a shower of bullets spit by machine-guns. M. Wordsworth was playing with the ruler placed on his desk. He was desparetely looking for words to continue... He went off : "Did you know your father was in Naples? "Yes, I did, Sir" -" That's the hospital that informed your Aunt today" - "Really?"

Réponse: Un accident choquant ! Thème 1 de nefertiti, postée le 14-03-2008 à 14:24:35 (S | E)
Hello Violet91,

A shocking accident

It was on a thursday morning, during the break, between the second and the third lessons, that Jerome was called at the general supervisor's office.

The man, M. Wordsworth, was sitting behind his desk, with a bothered and worried strange face. Jerome had the strange feeling to become the purpose of that anxiety.

- "Please, sit down, Jérôme" began M. Wordsworth. "Is everything go well in trigonometry ?"
- "Yes, it does, Sir".
- " I have just received a phone call, Jérôme. From your aunt. I am afraid to have to announce you bad news".
- "Really, Sir ?".
- "Your father ... has had an accident."
- "Oh ! ..."
M. Wordsworth looked at him, a little surprised.
- "A serious accident !"
- "Oh ! Well, sir ? "

Jerôme revered literally his father : it is the right word. Like the man creates again God, Jérôme created again his father by the same way. Once, he was an intrepid and widowed author to become after a mysterious adventurer who travelled in faraway countries. Nice, Beirut, Majorca, and why not the Canaries. When his eighth birday arrived, Jérôme had come to believe him either a real weapon trafficker, or really a member of the British Secret Services.

At that moment, the idea was oocuring to his spirit that he might have been wounded under a hail spat by submachine guns. M. Wordsworth was playing with the rule put on his desk. He was searching desesperately the words to continue ... He started :
- "Did you know that your father was in Naples ?"
- "Yes, I did, sir."
- "It is the hospital which informed your aunt today".
- "Ah ?"

Thank you, I am hurry to know the second part !!

-------------------
Modifié par nefertiti le 25-03-2008 15:57

Réponse: Un accident choquant ! Thème 1 de dolfin56, postée le 15-03-2008 à 18:48:03 (S | E)
Hello Violet; here is my tryout.

A shocking accident.

It's on Thursday morning, during the break ,between the second and the third class, that Jerôme was called to the chief supervisor's office.
this man, Mr Wordsworth, was sitting behind his desk;
, with a funny, perplexed and anxious air.
Jerôme had the strange feeling he had become the very object of this distress.
-"please, sit down Jerôme", Mr Wordsworth began.
-"is always going well in Trigonometrie ?" - "yes, Sir" -"I just received a phone call, Jerôme, from your aunt.I'm afraid to have to tell you some bad news " - "right, Sir"? - "your father has had an accident" -"oh!" Mr Worsdworth stared at him, a bit surprised -"a serious accident" -"really?, Sir"
Jerôme literally venered his father: that is the right term.As the man who recreates God, Jerôme recreates his father on the same way. One time, he was a widowed and intrepid author, and then he became a mysterious adventured travelling in far-away countries.---Nice, Beyrouth, Majorque and, why not, les Canaries.
When he turned eigh, Jerôme had even come to believe his father was either a real weapons dealer, either a member of the British secret services.
At this very moment, the idea he could have been hurt under a hail of bullets, spat out by submachines gun, ran to his mind.
Mr Wordsworth was playing with the rule on his desk.He was desesperatly looking for the words to go on...he started:
-"did you know your father was in Naples?" -"yes, Sir" - "the hospital informed your aunt to-day" -"Ah?" -

Hi, Violet, please, don't take your revange on the triplet!!

Réponse: Un accident choquant ! Thème 1 de TravisKidd, postée le 16-03-2008 à 00:12:26 (S | E)
----------A shocking accident! ----(Part I)

It was on a Thursday morning, at recess, between second and third periods, that Jérôme was called to the principal's office.

The man, Mr. Wordsworth, was seated behind his desk, seeming strangely uncomfortable and worried. Jérôme had the bizarre impression of having become the very object of his anguish.

- "Well, have a seat Jérôme", began Mr. Wordsworth. "Everything going OK in Trigonometry?" -"Yes sir." -"I've just received a telephone call, Jérôme. From your aunt. I'm quite afraid I have some bad news to tell you." -"Really, sir?" -"Your father ..has had(/been in) an accident."
-"Oh!.." Mr. Wordsworth looked at him, somewhat surprised. -"A bad accident!" -"Ah! OK, sir?"

Jérôme literally worshiped his father; that's the exact term. Like the man who recreates God, Jérôme would recreate his father in the same fashion. One time, he was a widowed and intrepid author who then became a mysterious aventurer who traveled in far-off regions...Nice, Beirut, Majorque, and why not the Canary Islands. By his eighth birthday, Jérôme had gone so far as to believe that he was either an authentic arms trafficker, or squarely a member of the British Secret Service.

At that moment, the idea crossed his mind that he could have been wounded in a hail of bullets spat out by submachine guns. Mr. Wordsworth played with the ruler lying on his desk. He desperately searched for words to continue: -"You were aware that your father was in Naples?" -"Yes, sir." -"It's the hospital (there) that informed your aunt today."- "Oh?"

Réponse: Un accident choquant ! Thème 1 de lakata, postée le 16-03-2008 à 09:41:22 (S | E)
Hello Violet !

A shocking and/or shaking accident..!

It was on a Thursday morning, during the break between the second and third classes, that Jérôme was called to the chief supervisor's office...

The man, Mr Wordsworth, was sitting at his desk, looking peculiarly uneasy. Strangely, Jérôme felt as if he'd become the very reason of this anxiety.

-" Do take a seat, Jérôme !", Mr Wordsworth said for a start." Is everything all right in trigonometry ?" -" It is, Sir."-"I've just received a call, Jérôme. From your aunt. And I may have to break the news to you, I'm afraid...".-" Really, Sir ?".-" Your father has...had an accident." -" Ooh ! Has he ?". Mr Wordsworth looked at him, rather surprised. "A serious accident, you know.."- "Is that so ? Sir ?"

Jérôme literally revered his father : it's the right term. Like mankind who re-creates God, Jérôme re-created his father so. One day a widowed and bold author/writer, he could become a mysterious adventurer travelling through faraway regions afterwards. Nice, Beirut, Majorca, and why not the Canary Islands ? By his eighth birthday, he had even come to believe he was either an authentic arms dealer or belonging definitely to the British secret service.

At this very moment, it came to his mind his father could have been wounded by some tommy guns spitting out a hail of bullets. Mr Wordsworth was playing with the ruler lying on his desk, desperately searching for words in order to go on. Finally, he brought himself to say :" Have you been aware that your father was in Naples ?".-" I have, Sir." -" Your aunt was told by the hospital, today./ It is the hospital which told your aunt today" -" Was she ?"

Thanks a lot, Violet !

Réponse: Un accident choquant ! Thème 1 de coferam, postée le 16-03-2008 à 11:27:41 (S | E)
Hello Violet91, I am overjoyed meet up with you.

A shocking accident! ----( Part 1)

It is on Thursday morning, during the recreation, between the second and third course, Jerome was summoned in the General Supervisor's office.

The man, Mr. Wordsworth, was sitting behind his desk, seeming embarrassed and worried. Jerome had the funny feeling to have become the object of this anxiety.

- '' Sit down here, Jerome '', then, Mr.Wordsworth proceeded '' All is going well in trigonometry ? ''
-'' Yes, sir.''
- '' I have just got a call phone, Jerome. From your aunt.
-'' I am afraid to have to announce you bad news. "
- '' Your father has had an accident.''
- '' Oh !''
Mr.Wordsworth looked at him a bit surprised.
-'' A terrible accident .''
-'' Indeed, sir ?''

Jerome literally venerated his father. That is the exact term. As the man who recreates God, Jerome recreated his
father of the same way. Once he was a widowed and bold author to become then a mysterious risk-taker Who was travelling in far-off lands....Nice, Beirut, Majorca, and why not the Canaries. When came the period of his eighth
birthday, Jerome was even come to believe his father was either a genuine arms dealer, or straight out a member
of the British secret Service.

At this moment, the idea crossed his mind that he had been wounded under a hail of bullets belched from submachine guns.
Mr. Wordsworth played with the rule on his desk. He looked desperately for the words to follow up ...He said :
-'' You were aware that your father was in Naples ?''
-'' Yes, sir.''
-'' It was the hospital that warned your aunt today.''
-'' Ah ?''

Merci...Have a nice day

Réponse: Un accident choquant ! Thème 1 de violette19, postée le 16-03-2008 à 17:42:12 (S | E)
Hello violet 91,

Here is my test:

A shocking accident.

On a Thursday, in the morning, at the break, past the second lesson and before the third one, Jerôme was summoned to the main monitor's office ...

The man, M. Wordsworth, was sitting behind his desk, with a strange, uncomfortable, anxious look . Jérôme felt as if he had become the real object of that anguish .

-" Sit down, Jérôme." M. Wordsworth said at first . "Is everything all right in trigonometry ?" - "Yes, sir." - " I h've just received a call, Jerôme . From your aunt . I'm afraid having to tell you bad news . "
- " Really, sir ? " - " Your father has had an accident ."
- " Oh !... " M. Wordsworth looked at him, quite surprised . - " A bad accident ! " - " Has he, sir ? "

Jérôme was really venerating his father : That's the true word . As the man creating God again, Jérôme was creating his father again, in the same way .
Once a widowed dauntless author , another time he was a mysterious adventurer,
travelling in far-off countries ... Nice, Beyrouth, Majorca and why not Canaries . When his eighth birtday period arrived, Jerôme had even worked up to believe him either an arms dealer or, straight, a Britain secret Service member .

At that instant, an idea occurred to Jérôme : he could have been hurted by balls hailstorm, belched by a Tommy-gun .

M. Wordsworth was playing with the ruler which was put on his desk . He was desperatly trying to find words for proceeding ... He set speaking : -"Did you know your father was in Naples ? " - "Yes, sir. "
- "The hospital forewarned your aunt, today . " - " Indeed ? "

Réponse: Un accident choquant ! Thème 1 de alice, postée le 16-03-2008 à 18:49:59 (S | E)
Bonjour Violet. Je me demande où tu veux encore nous emmener. Voici ma tentative:

A shocking accident.

It's on a Thursday morning, during the playtime, between the second and the third class that Jérôme was called in the chief of the supervisor's office.

The ma,, Mr Wordworth, was behind his desk with a uneasy and worried peculiar air. Jérôme felt the strange impression to have become the real subject of this anguish.

-"Just sat down Jérôme" Mr Wordsworth began. "Are you OK at trigonometry?" "Yes Sir" - "I have just got a call phone, Jérôme. From your aunt. I'm very afraid to have to break news to you" - "True Sir?" - "Your father had had an accident". -"Oh..." Mr wordworth looked at him, a little surprised." "A serious accident!" - "Oh Sir".

- Jérôme literally venerated his father: It's the exact word. As (the) man who re-create God, Jérôme re-créated his father that the same way. One time he was a widowed and intrepid author who later became a mysterious adventurer who travelled in some faraway lands.... Nice, Beyrouth, Majorque and why not Canary Islands. When the period of his eighth birthday arrived Jérôme made him even believe he was either a real arms dealer or straight a member of Britannic secret services.

At this moment it crossed his mind that he had been able to be hurt under a hail of bullets spited by submachine guns.

Mr wordsworth was playing with the rule put on the desk. He looked desperately for words to go on.... He set off an explanation: -"Did you know your father was in Naples?" -"Yes Sir" - It is the hospital who warned your aunt today" "Ah?".

Réponse: Un accident choquant ! Thème 1 de apau, postée le 17-03-2008 à 09:17:31 (S | E)

Hello Violet,
A shocking accident.
It's on a Thursday morning, during the break, between the second and the third class that Jérôme was called in the head supervisor's office...
The man, Mr. WORDWORTH, was sitting his desk with a strange, embarrassed and anxious look. Jérôme felt as if he had become the real object of that anguish.
" Do sit down, Jérôme " Mr. WORDWORTH said at first. " Are you all right in trigonometry ? ". " Yes Sir ". " I have received a call, Jérôme. From your aunt. I'm afraid having to tell you a bad news ". " Really, Sir ? ". " Your father has had an accident ". " Oh ! " Mr. WORDWORTH looked at him, a little surprised. " A serious accident ! " Really Sir ? ".
Jérôme was really venerating his father : it's true. As the man recreates God, Jérôme recreates his father in the same way. Once he was widowed and intrepid author who later became a mysterious adventurer who travelled in some faraway lands... NICE, BEYROUTH, MAJORCA and why not Canary Islands. When his eight birthday period arrived, Jérôme had even worked up to believe him either an arms dealer or straight a member of Britannic Secret Services.
At that instant it crossed his mind that he had been able to be hurt under a hail of bullets spit by submachine guns.
Mr. WORDWORTH was playing with the rule put on his desk. He looked desperately to find words for proceeding... He set off an explanation : " Did you know your father was in NAPLES ? ". " Yes Sir ". " It's the Hospital who warned your ant today ". " Ah ? ".

Réponse: Un accident choquant ! Thème 1 de lucile83, postée le 17-03-2008 à 11:25:32 (S | E)
Hello,
Here is my try
See you...

A shocking accident !

On one Thursday morning during the break between the second and the third lesson Jerome was demanded into the supervisor’s office…
The man, Mr. Wordsworth, was sitting at his desk, looking strangely uncomfortable and worried. Jerome had an odd feeling about being the true cause of that anguish.

‘Do sit down Jerome’ Mr. Wordsworth started. ‘Everything is all right in trigonometry?’ –‘yes Sir’- ‘I have just had a phone call Jerome. From your aunt. I am afraid I have to tell you about bad news.’ – ‘Really Sir?’ – ‘Your father..has had an accident.’

‘Oh!’ ..Mr. Wordsworth looked at him, somehow surprised. ‘A serious accident!’
‘Really Sir?’

Jerome literally venerated his father: that is the true word. As the man who creates God again, Jerome created his father again in the same way. Once he was a widowed and fearless writer and then a mysterious adventurer travelling around in distant countries…Nice, Beirut, Majorca, and why not the Canary Islands. When the time of his eighth birthday came, Jerome even thought he was either an authentic arms dealer, or straight out a member of the British Secret Service Bureau. ..(M15)..

At that instant, went through his mind the idea he could have been wounded in a hail of bullets fired by Tommy guns.

Mr. Wordsworth was playing with the ruler placed on his desk. He was desperately thinking about words to be able to go on…he started : ‘ You were aware of your father being in Naples? ‘ – ‘Yes Sir’ – ‘ The hospital warned your aunt today.’ ‘Oh ?’

Réponse: Un accident choquant ! Thème 1 de pivoine91, postée le 17-03-2008 à 21:04:41 (S | E)

Hello Viole 91 !

There is my translation bis !

Non solum ...vous testez ma rapidité de réaction, sed etiam..;vous testez ma patience et ma ténacité. C'est bon, je joue le jeu mais really....

A shocking accident

It happened on a Thursday in the morning during the break between the second and the third class, Jerome was called ine the general supervisor's office. The man - Mr Wordworth - was seated behind his desk with a strange embarassed and uneasy behaviour. Jerome had the peculiar feeling to become the very object of that anxiety. "Then seat down, Jerome" began Mr Wordworth. "All is okay in trig?". "Yes, sir". "I have just received a call, Jerome". "From your aunt. I shy of having to announce to you hard news". "Really, sir ," "Your father...has been injured". "O-o !". Mr Wordworth looked at him somewhat startled". "A bad accident !". "Ah ! well, sir". Jerome virtually venerated his father : it's the right word. As the man created God, Jerome recreated his father in the same way. Once he was a widowEd and bold author who then became a mysterious adventurer who travelled through far-distant lands...Nice, Beirut, Majorca and why not the Canary islands. When he was eight years old, Jerome was so arrived to believe him either an authentic arms dealer or a completely member of British secret service. At this instant, the idea crosses through his mind that he could have been wounded under a hail of bullets ejected by submachines guns. Mr Wordworth played with the ruler put on his desk. He desperately searched for the words to follow... He thrusted : "You had information about that your father was in Naples ?". "Yes, sir !". "It's the hospital which has informed your aunt today". "Ah !"

Réponse: Un accident choquant ! Thème 1 de gee, postée le 19-03-2008 à 13:43:31 (S | E)
At long last he came, at least he tried it on for size.

It was on a Thursday morning during playtime coming in between the second and third classes that Jerome got called to the head supervisor’s office.

The man, Mr Wordworth, was sitting at his desk, looking ill-at-ease and worried. How odd! Jerome got really strange at feeling himself the very cause of the head supervisor’s worry.

"Well, do sit down, Jerome", said Mr Wordworth for a start.
"Is everything OK with trigonometry?"
"Yes, sir."
"I’ve just got a phone call, Jerome, from your aunt. I am afraid I shall have to break bad news to you."
"Do you mean, sir?"
"Your father … had an accident."
"Oh!" gaped Jrome.
Mr Wordworth looked at him a bit in surprise. "A serious accident", he added.
"Is that so? sir."

Jerome actually revered his father, and that to the letter. Just as man creating God, in the very same way Jerome was begetting his father anew. Now the latter was a widowed writer who soon turned into a mysterious globe-trotter venturing far-off lands … like Nice, Beirut, Majorca and, why not, Canary Islands. As Jerome had reached his 8th birthday time, he had even come to believe his father to be, either an actual arms smuggler, or straight out a agent of the British Secret Intelligence Service.

But just at this very moment, the idea sprang to Jerome’s mind that his father could have been riddled with a bullets hail spat out by firing Kalashnikovs (submachine guns if you prefer).

Mr Wordworth was fingering about the wooden rule laid on his desk. He was desperately seeking for words to go ahead …
He abruptly set out: "Were you well-informed that your father was in Naples?"
"Yes, sir."
"The hospital posted your aunt today."
"So?"

The last shall be first and the first last. (very Holy Bible)
Just a short thank to Violet, as not to make others jealous.

Réponse: Un accident choquant ! Thème 1 de nini59, postée le 19-03-2008 à 17:34:56 (S | E)
Hi Violet.
A shocking accident.
On a Thursday morning, during the break, between the second and the third class, Jérôme was summoned to the chief supervisor's office.
That man, Mr Wordsworth, was sitting behind his desk, with a strange, embarrassed and worried expression on his face. Jérôme felt like he was the cause of this anxiety.
- "Sit down, Jérôme" Mr Wordsworth began. "Everything is alright with trigonometry."
- "Yes, Sir."
- "I have just got a phone call. From your aunt.I'm afraid, I have a bad new for you."
- "Really, Sir".
- "Your father... had an accident."
- "Oh."
Mr Wordsworth looked at him a little bit surprised.
- "A serious accident."
- "Oh, well Sir ?"
Jérôme venerated his father:that's the right word. As a man who recreates God, Jérôme recreates his father in the same way. Once he was a widowed and intrepid author, then he became a mysterious adventurer travelling to far-off countries...Nice, Beirut, Majorca and why not the Canaries.
When he was around his eighth birthday, Jérôme really believed his father was either a real weapon smuggler, or straight out a member of the British Secret Service.
At this moment, the idea, he could have been injured under a hail of bullets fired away from submachine guns, ran through his mind.
Mr Wordsworth was playing with the rule set on his desk. He was desperatly searching the words to go on...He started:
- "Did you know that your father was in Naples?"
- "Yes, Sir."
- "The hospital called your aunt today.
- " Ah".
Thank for this exercise.
See you.

Réponse: Un accident choquant ! Thème 1 de ariane6, postée le 19-03-2008 à 19:58:54 (S | E)
Hello Violet!

It was a Thurday morning at playtime between the second and the third lesson when Jerome was called to the Head Tutor's office...
The man, Mr Wordworth was sitting behind his desk looking awkward and uncorfortable. Jerome had the strange impression of being the focus of this distress.
-" Sit down then Jerome ", Mr Wordsworth began, " Everything alright in trigonometry ? "
-" Yes, sir "
-" I've just received a phone call Jerome... from your aunt. I'm afraid I have to give you some bad news."
-" Really, sir ?"
-" Your father has had an accident. "
- Oh !
Mr Wordsworth looked at him, a trifle surprised. " A serious accident ! "
- " Really, sir ?"
Jerome literally worshipped his father, there was no other word for it. Just as a man envisages God, Jerome viewed his father in the same way. Once he was a fearless widowed author, later turning into a mysterious adventurer who travelled to faraway places... Nice, Beirut, Majorca and why not, the Canary Isles. Around the time of his 8th birthday, Jerome actually come to believe him to be an genuine arms dealer or even more likely a member of the British Secret Services.
At that moment, the idea that went through his head was that he might have been wounded by a hail of bullets fired from machine guns.
Mr Wordsworth fiddled with the ruler lying on his desk. He desperately searched for words to continue...he began...
- " You are aware your father was in Naples ? "
- " Yes, sir "
- " It was the hospital who rang your aunt today. "
- " Oh ! "
Thank you Violet, for this exercice!

Réponse: Un accident choquant ! Thème 1 de violet91, postée le 20-03-2008 à 13:27:52 (S | E)
Bonjour,mes chers amis de ligne! Merci infiniment de venir,revenir au parfum de violet. Une étudiante en vacances a défailli m'envoyant du soleil..l'autre peut-être du côté de Jarnac!...

pour vos essais, votre participation fidèle ... j'ai pris la liberté de remanier un peu ce texte d'auteur, dont j'ai volontairement tu le nom jusqu'à la prochaine fois..il y a du suspense, vous vous en doutez!

-------------------
Modifié par violet91 le 20-03-2008 22:03

Réponse: Un accident choquant ! Thème 1 de violet91, postée le 20-03-2008 à 14:34:52 (S | E)
Des remarques ,comme d'habitude:

1) A shocking accident : est-il à prendre à double sens ? Oui!

2) To shock ( sh..doux :chuintante): choquer(ds les 2 sens), scandaliser # to choke (ch.dur ..tchoquante!): étouffer, (s)'étrangler .

3) Jérôme a neuf ans...et vu ce passage,il ne va pas être sermonné: il est donc " appelé" : to be called.

4 ) Le surveillant général se traduit bien comme vous l'avez fait:head Supervisor. En GB, les écoles et lycées fonctionnent avec des équipes nommées "houses" . Ce peut être des noms d'arbres ( Oak , Birch, Elm..),d'oiseaux..! Du"C.P ",ou de la 6ème à la terminale ,ily aura deux ou trois élèves représentant chaque niveau,le tout constituant la "house" chapeautée par le Housemaster. On peut s'en sortir ici en pensant : professeur principal ou maître d'Internat comme d'Externat .Enseignant de l'enfant en tout cas. Le "Deputy Head" est une sorte de censeur.

5 ) Le "break"..la pause en Frenglish, aujourd'hui...The break : la récréation.

6 ) A class, a lesson , a period : un cours. (Appelons un chat,un chat aussi : let us call a spade ,a spade (pelle)! Periods est un terme médical :les menstrues. Pas de souci avec Jérôme. # a course : un stage # a lecture : un cours en Université.

7 ) M.Wordsworth :monsieur "digne de parole"! # William Wordsworth : grand poète britannique (1770.1850). Je pense bien que l'auteur facétieux a choisi..

8 ) "odd" : "bizarre,vous avez dit bizarre ?" (l'atmosphère devait être "plombée" ). Odd numbers (impairs) # Even :les pairs ,les lisses ..personnellement ,j'adore le "8"...what about you?

9 ) To enter : v.transitif: la préposition "en" est déjà contenue : to enter a place. An entrance (way in ), an exit (way out ).

10 ) I am afraid (degré de peur et crainte):je crains (qu'il ne pleuve..),j'ai bien peur de te dire en face.;I am scared (très peur),frightened (effrayé) ,terrified, horrified. Après, c'est AWE :l'EPOUVANTE..il est amusant de suivre une voiture immatriculée ainsi!

11 ) Bad news : question d'examen: tjrs pluriel. (comme furniture(meubles),advice(conseils)..: si vous le singularisez, vous emploierez " A piece of).

12 ) To worship = vénérer comme un dieu, donc. Cela ne vous empêche pas de "adore" qui vous voulez! Ou l'Anglais! (stopped,travelled(UK!)worshipped)

13 )" Rest": vient du Français :rester calme, reposer . Donc ,un restless (privé de ) est un turbulent ,intrépide ,"agité" (du bocal ou non!)."Rest in peace"..est pour plus tard.

14 ) A widow..croyez le vient aussi du français : veuve.(les hommes mouraient au combat,à la chasse)A widower : un veuf ,or, statistiquement ,les femmes sont plus résistantes!(sans doute à cause ou grâce à la douleur habituelle des menstrues et des accouchements!)

15 ) Méfiez-vous des noms de lieux...et des mots apparemment français (voyez "rest"). Beirut,Majorca, Lyons, Marseilles...

16 ) Either ..or : soit..soit(affirm) et ni..ni.: neither ..nor (négation incluse qu'on ne retrouvera pas dans le groupe verbal).

17) To run ,ran,run (pour cx qui.): courir/ gérer: to run a factory (factorerie= usine)/to run guns : vendre de façon illicite (être le caïd).

18 ) To occur (occurred) to (latin) : arriver soudainement, survenir, venir à l'esprit (en l'occurrence) To occur to one's mind. ou suivi du Pr.pers.cplt "It occurred to him" ( traverser l'esprit).

19 ) Les MODAUX (un exercice en préparation): le "je peux, j'ai la possibilité,la capacité, je peux.. comme ne..pas, j'ai le devoir de,la permission, il se peut que je..,il se pourrait peut-être que je (vu le profil.)(celui du texte..).. C'est très difficile et passionnant: petit pourcentage que le père de Jérôme = may ou might (entre 5% et 15%)+ have (antériorisation) + been (voix passive) + part.passé rég. ou irrég (pour cx qui.).May peut aller à 30% = maybe.

20 ) Blessé: wounded [wu:ndid](a wound)accident,guerre..

-------------------
Modifié par violet91 le 21-03-2008 22:03

Réponse: Un accident choquant ! Thème 1 de violet91, postée le 20-03-2008 à 15:44:43 (S | E)
20..) An injury(ies) ['indjeri,'indjeriz]..attention. faux ami : une blessure quelconque. To be injured ['indje:d]..pardon aux phonéticiens !..To be hurt ( hurt,hurt : pour cx qui): être blessé physiquement ou moralement (les heurts qu'il n'y a pas sur le site!). # To insult : injurier, insulter.([in'seultid] : insulted)

21 ) Hail ( nail, sail = dipht.eï) : terme météo : la grêle (hailstones = grêlons) > Nous disons plus facilement : une pluie de balles..# "Go to Hell!" (just a quotation, of course). Intestin grêle: small intestine!J'en ai fait l'tour!

: 22 )Une mitraillette crache des " machine -gun bullets " (['bulits] Quelle horrible invention 20ème siècle ! ( Tommy gun = kalashnikov? ) Pistolet ou carabine d'assaut à répétition et automatique portant à < 400m ..

23 ) Une règle de jeu : a rule

24 ) Un bureau (table): a desk # a study(dies) un bureau (pièce) The murder has been committed by Professor Violet with a stab and in the study on the person of Miss Peony! (sorry!) Studies : des études.

25 ) To look : avoir l'air aux yeux de l'autre (il peut nous sembler gai, alors qu'il est triste). To seem (plus profond): sembler (de l'intérieur,comme la beauté !) . (Il émane de lui..)

25 ) Chercher désespérément : être perdu : to be lost . Loss : la perte. Il ne trouvait pas de mots..to be at a loss. " Oh! My darling! Oh! My darling!...Gone for ever! What a loss, my Clementine! "

26 ) Comment faire : how ( manière,recette)to do ! How to continue !"- Show me how you serve English tea, please! - Very little cold milk, then hot tea! Not the opposite! And that's it!" (et le tour est joué!)

27 ) "Oui, monsieur: "yes, sir" (pas de majuscule : il n'est pas ennobli) le féminin peut être, madam ou miss, ou lady.(sans majuscule # late (feue) Lady Di [dai].

28 ) C'est l'hôpital qui...est un gallicisme : on mettra la tante en valeur ,en Anglais plutôt qu'un "quidam" du personnel . Elle l'a appris par téléphone.: donc " to hear from" ( doublement) avoir des nouvelles de ..(ou ds d'autres cas de la bouche de qqn)
To warn : alerter..: comme le "warning" frenglish de nos voitures.

"Ah! Combien de marins! Combien de capitaines!"...Combien d'explications violet rédige.pour arriver au "morceau choisi" et de choix!.!..vont penser au moins trois!...Merci à tous de toute façon et celles comme ceux qui semblent avoir plaisir à les trouver.

P.S. Le present perfect exprime le bilan et donc le résultat dans le présent : "Ton père a eu un accident".Le simple past ou "preterite" exprime un passé révolu :la tante a reçu (ce matin,à telle heure) un coup de téléphone: a raccroché depuis : c'est fini. Là,vraiment ,cela fait désordre!

23 ) Suivez les consignes..follow the rules.Ma définition ayant oddly vanished..je reprends -- Un traceur,une règle en bois (aïe !aïe !pour les petits doigts d'autrefois).en fer (quel vacarme si elle tombe en classe!): a ruler..Il "triturait" sa règle pour se donner contenance..comme ne peuvent plus le faire les journalistes à la télévision avec leur stylo pour dissimuler le trac.Voilà,c'est épuré par moi.Pas par magie!

-------------------
Modifié par violet91 le 20-03-2008 17:15

Réponse: Un accident choquant ! Thème 1 de violet91, postée le 20-03-2008 à 16:54:36 (S | E)
Voili, voilà!..

----------------- A SHOCKING ACCIDENT -------------------------------------

[ Jerome was called into his Housemaster's room in the break between the second and the third class on a Thursday morning...The man, Mr Wordsworth, sat ( was sitting) behind his desk , with an appearance of perplexity and apprehension. Jerome had the odd impression when he entered the study that he was a cause of fear.

" Sit down, will you, Jerome ?", Mr Wordsworth said. "All going well in the trigonometry ? " - " Yes , sir." - " I've just had a telephone call, Jerome. From your aunt. I'm afraid I have bad news for you." "Yes ,sir." ( Do you?) - " Your father has had an accident." - "Oh." ( Has he? ) Mr Wordsworth looked at him with some surprise." A serious accident." - " Yes,sir."( Really , sir?)

Jerome worshipped his father : the verb is exact. As man recreates God, Jerome recreated his father--from a restless widowed author into a mysterious adventurer who travelled in far places--(such as ) Nice, Beirut, Majorca, even the Canaries. The time had arrived about his eighth birthday when Jerome believed that his father either ran guns or was a member of the British Secret Service. Now, it occurred to him his father might have been wounded in a hail of machine-gun bullets.

Mr Wordsworth played ( was playing) with the ruler on the desk. He seemed at a loss how to continue. He said (he tried, he began, he attempted) : " (Did) You know your father was in Naples ?" - " Yes ,sir." - " Your aunt heard from the hospital , today. " - "Oh ."

-------------------------------------------

J'ai "obéi" à la ponctuation. il n'y a pas de "! "derrière les réponses de Jérôme.

de votre gentille patience. Encore bravo à vous!

- Now,fasten your belts for the landing...attachez donc vos ceintures pour le deuxième épisode!... See you. violet

Réponse: Un accident choquant ! Thème 1 de apau, postée le 20-03-2008 à 17:32:24 (S | E)

Merci beaucoup, une fois encore, chère Violet, de l'efficacité de ton enseignement destiné à corriger nos pauvres erreurs, de ton réel intérêt pour nous, de ton humour, etc... Si j'avais des fleurs à disposition je t'enverrai un superbe bouquet et non pas mes pauvres mots.
J'attends la suite avec impatience ! J'ai été étonnée, par contre, de l'âge de Jérôme, je le croyais plus vieux !!!! donc dans une autre classe, au moins en seconde !!!!

Réponse: Un accident choquant ! Thème 1 de lucile83, postée le 20-03-2008 à 18:21:54 (S | E)
Hello,
Merci pour toutes ces précisions violet
Je vais 'chipoter' à mon tour...pour le fun...

On peut dire Marseille ou Marseilles;les 2 sont admis et l'usage courant est de plus en plus de dire Marseille..surtout quand on poste une lettre (13000 Marseille)

Machine-gun fait davantage référence à une mitrailleuse qu'à une mitraillette,nuance subtile,je l'admets. J'ai employé 'Tommy gun' terme US mais beaucoup plus employé par ceux qui s'en servent

See you

Réponse: Un accident choquant ! Thème 1 de violet91, postée le 20-03-2008 à 22:26:49 (S | E)
Pour le" fun et les branchés."..agréable de "chipoter sur ce ton .Comment ne pas mettre de "s" à Marseilles(UK)..s'il y en a 13000 !! Soit.
-M'y connaissant aussi peu que toi,voire pas du tout en mitraillette,je suis allée sur google :" mitraillette" = machine-gun (UK), Tommy - gun (Us)...tu sais pourquoi "Tommy" : pas comme " Teddy(Roosevelt)- bear,tout de même? Merci,lucile!

Réponse: Un accident choquant ! Thème 1 de gee, postée le 20-03-2008 à 22:34:48 (S | E)
I am flabbergasted by the huge amount of comments.
I've been won over by the humorous style of teaching.
I have learned lots, yes, lots.
Feeling dizzy I can't stop beating my noddle with my ruler as to be at the ready to rush onto the second episode.
And my heart is secretly grateful.

Réponse: Un accident choquant ! Thème 1 de lucile83, postée le 20-03-2008 à 22:46:11 (S | E)
Les Tommies = British soldiers.
Je cite:
"British soldier," 1884, from Thomas Atkins, since 1815 the sample name for filling in army forms. Tommy gun (1929) is short for Thompson gun (see Thompson). Soon extended to other types of sub-machine gun, especially those favored by the mob.
+
Thompson
type of sub-machine gun, 1919, named for U.S. Gen. John T. Thompson (1860-1940), who conceived it and whose company financed it.

Puisqu'on rentre dans le détail une mitrailleuse est fixée sur un véhicule,une mitraillette est portée par un homme car beaucoup plus légère;il y a donc eu un amalgame entre Tommies/soldats et Thompson's gun qui a donné Tommy gun/tommy gun.
On peut dire 'Sten gun' aussi mais ça se rapporte davantage à la mitraillette de la marque Sten (marque anglaise), et c'est donc plus spécifique.

If you speak about Marseilles you speak traditional English; if you use the word Marseille everybody will understand you included French postmen,which is better if you send a letter to a friend living in Marseille(s).
See you

Réponse: Un accident choquant ! Thème 1 de violet91, postée le 20-03-2008 à 23:45:29 (S | E)

Well done ! I am glad you found THE origin of "Tommy-gun" . Je pourrai partir au lit, avec la réponse à ma question..et toi comme moi aurons appris quelque chose aujourd'hui! Qu'on s'empressera peut-être d'oublier dans les bras de Morphée ou de notre Teddy-bear! Good night! "sleep tight"!undefined

POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux