Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Exercice 36/On y va ! Courage !

Cours gratuits > Forum > Exercices du forum || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Exercice 36/On y va ! Courage !
Message de here4u posté le 28-03-2015 à 23:31:54 (S | E | F)
Hello ! Hardworking friends...
You've done a very good work again Congratulations to all of you, including the newcomers...
As I promised the weekend workers, here's N° 36 in advance. I'm still receiving more N° 35, and happy to!

This exercise is different again, easy, I think, but the translation into French is a bit tricky ... Don't avoid it, if you can ... It's a good training for students... and for all of you!
I think the whole exercise is another The correction will be posted le mercredi 8 avril;

I) Match a numbered element with a lettered one. Please, type the whole sentence :
1) By the time he was 12, he …………
2) He won't rest until he ………
3) My kids were in Turkey when the earthquake happened ……
4) Could you tell me where the Hebrides are? …………
5) Instead of waiting for her, he ………
6) He won't go to bed until …………

a) ...... you're back.
b) ...... left at once.
c) ...... could speak 3 languages fluently.
d) ...... We had no news from them.
e) ...... has found the solution to the problem.
f) ...... I've looked but could't find them.

II) Translate into English:
1) On dit qu'elle avait connu Lawrence Olivier personnellement quand il était encore acteur.

2) Je regrette de devoir travailler la semaine prochaine, mais je n’ai pas le choix !

3) Je préfèrerais que tu ne leur dises pas que je suis ici depuis hier, sinon, ils viendront aussitôt …

4) « Elle est allée à la poste, pour quoi faire ? » « Simplement pour aller chercher un paquet recommandé ! »

5) Je n'ai aucun document et n'ai vraiment que peu de livres sur ce sujet. Je ne peux donc en prêter aucun non plus!

III) Translate into French :

But what have I done with my life? thought Mrs Ramsay, taking her place at the head of the table, and looking at all the plates making white circles on it. […] She could not understand how she had felt any emotion or any affection for her husband. She had a sense of being past everything, through everything, out of everything, as she helped the soup, as if there was an eddy – there – and one could be in it, or one could be out of it, and she was out of it.

Virginia WOOLF, To the Lighthouse (1927)

Bon courage à tous !

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 29-03-2015 09:21

Réponse : Exercice 36/On y va ! Courage ! de maxwell, postée le 29-03-2015 à 10:00:29 (S | E)
Thanks Here4U for this exercise ! I do agree with you, the long last sentence in Exercise 3 is well worth
I
1c) By the time he was 12, he could speak 3 languages fluently
2e ) He won't rest until he has found the solution to the problem.
3d) My kids were in Turkey when the earthquake happened. We had no news from them.
4f) Could you tell me where the Hebrides are? I've looked but could't find them.
5b) Instead of waiting for her, he left at once
6a) He won't go to bed until you're back.

II.
1) She is said to have personally known Lawrence Olivier when he was still an actor
2) I wish I didn't have to work next week, but I'm afraid I have no choice !
3) I'd prefer you not to tell them that I've been here since yesterday, otherwise, they'll come right away.
4) "What did she go to the Post Office for ?" "Just to search for a registered parcel !"
5) I've got no document and really very few books on this topic. So I can't lend any either !

III
Mais qu'ai-je fait de mon existence ? pensait Mme Ramsay, prenant place au bout de la table, et regardant toutes ces assiettes dessiner des ronds blancs sur elle.
Elle n'arrivait pas à comprendre comment elle avait pu ressentir quelque émotion ou quelque tendresse pour son mari.
Elle avait le don d'être au-delà de tout, à travers tout, et détachée de tout, pendant qu'elle remuait la soupe comme s'il y avait un tourbillon, à cet endroit, et que quelqu'un pouvait s'y trouver, ou quelqu'un pouvait en être sorti, et qu'elle en était sortie.

Réponse : Exercice 36/On y va ! Courage ! de komiks, postée le 29-03-2015 à 11:16:53 (S | E)
Hello !! Here I am, as usual !
Thanks again
Have a nice (rainy) day

I) Match a numbered element with a lettered one. Please, type the whole sentence :
1) By the time he was 12, he could speak 3 languages fluently.
2) He won't rest until he has found the solution to the problem.
3) My kids were in Turkey when the earthquake happened. We had no news from them.
4) Could you tell me where the Hebrides are? I’ve looked but couldn’t find them.
5) Instead of waiting for her, he left at once.
6) He won't go to bed until you’re back.

1) On dit qu'elle avait connu Lawrence Olivier personnellement quand il était encore acteur.
She is said to have known Lawrence Olivier personally when he was still an actor.
2) Je regrette de devoir travailler la semaine prochaine, mais je n’ai pas le choix !
I regret I have to work next week, but I don’t have a choice !
3) Je préfèrerais que tu ne leur dises pas que je suis ici depuis hier, sinon, ils viendront aussitôt …
I’d rather you didn’t tell them I have been here since yesterday, otherwise, they’ll come straightaway…
4) « Elle est allée à la poste, pour quoi faire ? » « Simplement pour aller chercher un paquet recommandé ! »
« She has been/gone to the post office, what for ? » ou « What has she been/gone to the post office for ? »
« Just to get a registered parcel ! »
5) Je n'ai aucun document et n'ai vraiment que peu de livres sur ce sujet. Je ne peux donc en prêter aucun non plus!
I don’t have any document and only few books about that topic. Therefore, I can’t lend any of them!

“Mais qu’est-ce que j’ai fait de ma vie?, pensa Mrs Ramsay, s’installant en bout de table, et regardant toutes ces assiettes qui formaient des cercles blancs. […] Elle ne comprenait pas comment elle avait pu ressentir la moindre émotion ou une quelconque affection pour son mari. Alors qu’elle servait la soupe, elle eut la sensation d’être en retard sur tout, au travers de tout, en-dehors de tout, comme prise au milieu d’un tourbillon et qu’on pouvait être dedans, ou dedors, et elle, elle était dehors.

Réponse : Exercice 36/On y va ! Courage ! de tereda, postée le 29-03-2015 à 14:21:48 (S | E)
In fact, dear all, the best thing we can do today, with this beautiful weather that we all have here and there, is To work a little our English, and above all, trying to understand what Mrs Ramsay wanted to tell us, That is a different kettle of fish....!!

I) Match a numbered element with a lettered one. Please, type the whole sentence
1) By the time he was 12, he could speak 3 languages fluently
3) My kids were in Turkey when the earthquake happened , we had no news from them.
4) Could you tell me where the Hebrides are? I've looked but could't find them.
6) He won't go to bed until you're back.

She is said she had knew Lawrence Olivier personally when he was still an actor.

I regret to have to work next week, but I must, I have no choice.

I'd rather you don't tell them, that I have been here since yesterday, otherwise they'll come immediately.

- She has gone to the post office, but for doing what?
- Only to pick up a recommended packet.

I have no document, and only few books about this topic ; so I can't lend any either !

Mais qu'est-ce que j'ai donc fait de ma vie ? Pensait Mrs Ramsay, prenant place à la tête de la table, et regardant les assiettes faisant des ronds blancs tout autour.... Elle n'arrivait pas à admettre comment elle n'avait ressenti aucune émotion, ni même de l'affection pour son mari.
Elle avait la sensation d'être passée à travers tout, au-dessus de tout, et en être sortie ; alors même qu'elle servait la soupe, et comme à travers un tourbillon, là, n'importe qui pouvait être dedans, ou autour, et elle-même était absente à tout ça.

oh, dear Here4U, as U said : On y va ! courage !
yes, let's go !
and thanks a lot to give us a good moment of thinking.

-------------------
Modifié par tereda le 02-04-2015 09:44

Réponse : Exercice 36/On y va ! Courage ! de mamylistele, postée le 29-03-2015 à 16:29:52 (S | E)
hello!
III -
Mais qu’ai-je fait de ma vie ? se demanda Mrs. Ramsay en prenant place en bout de table et en regardant les cercles blancs que faisaient toutes les assiettes. Elle ne pouvait comprendre comment elle n’avait jamais pu éprouver la moindre émotion, la moindre affection pour son mari. Elle avait le sentiment d’avoir tout dépassé, d’avoir tout traversé, d’être revenue de tout, pendant qu’elle servait la soupe, comme s’il se formait un tourbillon – là – dans lequel ou hors duquel on devait se trouver, et elle en était sortie.

I -
3) My kids were in Turkey when the earthquake happened. We had no news from them.
4) Could you tell me where the Hebrides are? I’ve looked but couldn’t find them.
6) He won't go to bed until you’re back.

Réponse : Exercice 36/On y va ! Courage ! de cecile22, postée le 29-03-2015 à 21:14:28 (S | E)
I) Match a numbered element with a lettered one. Please, type the whole sentence : 
3) My kids were in Turkey when the earthquake happened. Weh had no news of them.
4) Could you tell me where the Hebrides are? I've looked but couldn't find them.

1) She is said to have personally known Lawrence Oliver when he was still an actor.

2) I regret having to work next week, but I have no choice !

3) I would prefer that you did not tell them that I have been here since yesterday, otherwise they will come at once.

4) « Why did she go to the post ? » « Just to fetch a registered parcel ! »

5) I don't have any documents and really have few books on that subject. I can't therefore lend any of them too.

Mais qu'ai-je fait de ma vie ? songeait Madame Ramsay, lorsqu'elle prit place en tête de la table sur laquelle les assiettes formaient des cercles blancs. [...] Elle n'arrivait pas à comprendre comment elle avait pu ressentir la moindre émotion ou un quelconque sentiment pour son mari. Elle avait l'impression d'être au-delà de tout, d'en avoir fini avec tout, d'être en dehors de tout, tandis qu'elle servait la soupe ; c'était comme s'il y avait un tourbillon, là, à l'intérieur ou à l'extérieur duquel l'on pouvait être, et qu'elle, elle était à l'extérieur.

Réponse : Exercice 36/On y va ! Courage ! de lucile83, postée le 29-03-2015 à 21:33:04 (S | E)
Hello,
Thank you for this exercise

I) Match a numbered element with a lettered one. Please, type the whole sentence:
1) By the time he was 12, he ………… could speak 3 languages fluently.
2) He won't rest until he ……… has found the solution to the problem.
3) My kids were in Turkey when the earthquake happened …… We had no news from them.
4) Could you tell me where the Hebrides are? ………… I've looked but could't find them.
5) Instead of waiting for her, he ……… left at once.
6) He won't go to bed until ………… you're back.

She is said to have known Lawrence Olivier personally when he still was an actor.

I wish I didn't have to go to work next week, but I have no choice.

I’d rather you didn’t tell them I have been here since yesterday, otherwise they’ll come straight away.

« She has gone to the post-office, what for ? » « Just to collect a registered parcel ! »

I haven’t got any document and I have really got few books about that subject. Therefore I can’t lend you any of them either!

But what have I done with my life? thought Mrs Ramsay, taking her place at the head of the table, and looking at all the plates making white circles on it. […] She could not understand how she had felt any emotion or any affection for her husband. She had a sense of being past everything, through everything, out of everything, as she helped the soup, as if there was an eddy – there – and one could be in it, or one could be out of it, and she was out of it.

Mais qu’ai-je fait de ma vie? pensa Madame Ramsay, prenant place en bout de table, et regardant toutes les assiettes posées là tels des ronds blancs. […] Elle ne comprenait pas comment elle avait pu ressentir une quelconque affection ou émotion pour son mari. Elle avait le sentiment d’être passée à côté de tout, à travers tout, en dehors de tout, tandis qu’elle servait la soupe, comme s’il y avait un tourbillon – là – et qu’on pouvait y entrer ou en sortir, et qu’elle, elle en était exclue.

Réponse : Exercice 36/On y va ! Courage ! de mamou3, postée le 30-03-2015 à 08:37:29 (S | E)
Hello Here4u, Hello everybody !

I.Mach a numbered element with a lettered one

1. By the time he was 12, he could speak 3 languages fluently.
2. He won't rest until ha has found the solution to the problem.
3. My kids were in Turkey when the earthquake happened. We had no news from them.
4. Could you tell me where the Hebrides are ? I've looked but couldn't find them.
5. Instead of waiting for her, he left at once.
6. He won't go to bed until you're back.

II. Into English

1. It's said she had personally known Lawrence Olivier when he was still an actor.
2. I regret having to work next week but I have no choice.
3. I would prefer you don't tell them that I have been here since yesterday, otherwise they will come immediately.
4. She has gone to the post office what for? Just to go and get a recommended package.
5. I have no document and have really few books about this subject I can thus lend none either.

III. en français

"Mais qu'ai-je fait de ma vie ?" pensait Mme Ramsay en prenant place à la tête de la table et observant les cercles blancs que les assiettes faisaient dessus. Elle ne pouvait pas comprendre comment elle avait pu avoir des sentiments et de l'affection pour son mari. Elle avait le sentiment d'avoir tout dépassé, d'avoir tout connu, d'avoir tout épuisé et pendant qu'elle servait la soupe, c'était comme s'il y avait un tourbillon, là, dans lequel ou en dehors duquel on pouvait se trouver et elle en était sortie.

Thank you very much ! Have a nice day !

Réponse : Exercice 36/On y va ! Courage ! de jo06, postée le 30-03-2015 à 10:05:53 (S | E)
Hello Here4u,
It looks like a race
This is my try:

I)
1) By the time he was 12,he could speak 3 languages fluently.
3) My kids were in Turkey when the earthquake happened we had no news from them.
4) Could you tell me where the Hebrides are?I'have looked but couldn't find them.
5) Instead of waiting for her,he left at once.

II)Translate into English:
1) She is said she has known Laurence Olivier personally when he was stil an actor.
2) I regret having to work next week,but I have no choice.
I wish I was working next week,but I have no choice.
3) I would prefer you not to tell them I have been here since yesterday otherwise they will come straight away.
4) "She has been to the post office,what for?" "Just fetching a registered parcel!"
"What did she go to the post office for?"
5) I have no document and really few books on this subject.So I can't lend none either!

III)Translate into French:

Mais qu'ai je fait de ma vie?Pensa madame Ramsay,s'asseyant au bout de la table,et regardant toutes les assiettes faisant des cercles blancs dessus[...]Elle n'arrivait pas à comprendre comment elle n'a pu éprouver aucune émotion ou affection envers son mari.Elle avait le sentiment d'être passée partout,au travers de tout,à coté de tout,pendant qu'elle servait la soupe,comme s'il y avait un tourbillon,là,et que l'on pouvait y être entrainé ou pas,et elle en êtait en dehors.

Thanks a lot!

Réponse : Exercice 36/On y va ! Courage ! de taiji43, postée le 30-03-2015 à 12:00:36 (S | E)
Dear Here

Thanks you for this 36th game ;it is OK for it is my first try and my latest try.

I)
1 )By the time he was 12, he could speak 3 languages fluently.
4) Could you tell me where the Hebrides are? I've looked but couldn't find them.

II)
1. She is said to have personally known Lauwrence Olivier when he was still an actor.

2. I whish I didn’t have to work next week, but I have no choice!

3 .I would rather you didn’t tell them, I have been here since yesterday, otherwise, they will come right away.

4. She has gone to the post office, what for? Just to go and get a registered parcel.

5. I have got no documents and few books dealing with this subject .Therefore I can’t lend you any of them either!

III)Mais qu’est ce que j’ai fait de ma vie? Pensait Mrs Ramsy, prenant place à la place qui préside au bout de la table, et regardant toutes les assiettes qui faisaient comme… des cercles blancs sur celle-ci . Elle ne comprenait pas comment elle avait ressenti une quelconque émotion ou affection pour son mari. Elle avait le sentiment d’avoir passé toutes choses sans s’en rendre compte, de les avoir traversées d’avoir été comme en dehors des choses Elle ressentait cela alors qu’elle aidait à se servir de la soupe et qu’il y avait comme un tourbillon –là- et qu’on pouvait être soit dedans ou bien en dehors de celui-ci mais qu’elle, elle était en dehors de ce choix.

OK OK OK OK

-------------------
Modifié par taiji43 le 02-04-2015 12:15

Réponse : Exercice 36/On y va ! Courage ! de here4u, postée le 31-03-2015 à 08:02:30 (S | E)
Hello Newcomers ! hello voracious workers ...

So pleased to see how greedy you are to practise .... ´Happy' too, to realize that the preceding correction isn't even due... and that I have already 10 following productions to correct by the end of the week As planned, I'll post the correction of N35 tonight...
Yet, the amount of corrections I have to do will force us to think about a system .... One of you suggested to write 'ok' when you have realized that your best is done .... I'm opened to any suggestion, but what is sure is that I'can't go on concentrating all these corrections in two or 3 days... for fear I might turn into a correcting machine only ...
Please, think and tell me... I need your help!

Réponse : Exercice 36/On y va ! Courage ! de maya92, postée le 31-03-2015 à 14:44:27 (S | E)
Hello Here4u,

III -
Mais qu’est-ce que j’ai fait de ma vie ? se disait Mrs Ramsay en prenant place au bout de la table et en regardant les assiettes qui y dessinaient des cercles blancs. Elle ne comprenait pas comment elle avait pu ressentir un quelconque sentiment ou une quelconque tendresse pour son mari. Tout en servant le potage, il lui semblait qu’elle était passée à côté de tout, à travers tout, en dehors de tout, comme si on pouvait faire partie ou pas de ce tourbillon de a vie et qu’ elle n’en faisait pas partie.
I –
By the time he was 12, he could speak fluently 3 languages
He won’t rest until he has found a solution to the problem.
My kids were in Turkey when the earthquake happened. We had no news from them
Could you tell me where the Hebrides are ? I’ve looked but couldn’t find them
Instead of waiting for her, he left at once
He won’t go to bed until until you’re back
II –
She’s said to have met Laurence Olivier personally when he was still an actor
I wish I had not to work next week but I have no choice
I’d rather you did not tell them I’ve been here since yesterday otherwise they will come straight away
Why did she go to the post office ? Just to pick up a recorded mail !
I have no document and only a few books about this subject. I can’t lend you any of them either

Sorry I started with number III but it was the most tricky (and the most exciting...)so I decided to cut my teeth on it
Thank you so much for all your work towards us - see you

Réponse : Exercice 36/On y va ! Courage ! de alpiem, postée le 31-03-2015 à 16:44:53 (S | E)
Hello again Here 4u:

I/
1) By the time he was 12, he could speak three languages.

3) My kids were in Turkey when the earthquake happened,we had no news from them.

4) Could you tell me where the Hebrids are ? I've looked but couldn't find them.

5) Instead of waiting for her, he left at once .

II/
1)She had known LAURENCE OLIVIER when he was an actor. So they say.

2)I wish I weren't be obliged to work next week but I have no choice.

3) I had rather you didn't tell them that I have been there since yesterday, otherwise they will be comming here
right away.

4/ She went to the post office, what for ? ____Only to fetch a registered paquet.

5/ I haven't got any document and but a few books on this topic. Therefore I cannot lend anyone of them either.

-------------------
Modifié par alpiem le 06-04-2015 15:21

Réponse : Exercice 36/On y va ! Courage ! de here4u, postée le 31-03-2015 à 18:32:22 (S | E)
Alpiem !
j'ai bien spécifié que je voulais des phrases complètes ... On dirait mes élèves ... et je vais vous dire comme à eux ... 'Je ne suis pas Prof de Math (cela dit sans aucune méchanceté, car je sais qu'il faut rédiger en Maths aussi ...!) et 1 a ; 2 d; 3 e, etc... ça ne me dit rien, donc, je ne corrige pas cela!' Non mais ...

Réponse : Exercice 36/On y va ! Courage ! de joe39, postée le 31-03-2015 à 23:07:44 (S | E)
Dear here4u,
Here is my try.

1) By the time he was 12, he could speak 3 languages…………
2) He won't rest until he has found the solution to the problem………
3) My kids were in Turkey when the earthquake happened. We had no news from them ……
4) Could you tell me where the Hebrides are? I’ve looked but couldn’t find them…………
5) Instead of waiting for her, he left at once………
6) He won't go to bed until you’re back…………

a) ...... you're back.
b) ...... left at once.
c) ...... could speak 3 languages fluently.
d) ...... We had no news from them.
e) ...... has found the solution to the problem.
f) ...... I've looked but could't find them.

It’s said that Laurence Olivier had been known by her, when he was still an actor.
I regret having got to work next week, but I’ve no choice !
I’d rather you didn’t tell them I have been here since yesterday, otherwise they will come at once.
She has gone to the post office, for what purpose? Simply in order to ask them whereabout could be the recommended parcel which hasn't arrived yet.
I've got no document and really have few books on the subject.
So I can't lend any either.

« Mai qu’ai-je fait de ma vie » ? Pensait Mme Ramsey alors qu’elle prenait sa place au bout de la table, en regardant tous les assiettes qui faisant/semblaient de cercles blancs sur la table. . Elle ne pouvait pas comprendre comment elle n’avait ressenti aucune émotion ou aucune affection pour son mari. Pendant qu’elle était en train de servir la soupe, elle avait l’impression d’avoir passé tout, à travers de tout, hors de tout, comme s’ il était un tourbillon, l’on pouvait être à l’intérieur, et elle était à sa extérieur.

You were right, the translation in French was really a tricky one, at least for me.
Anyway, The harder the work, the more satisfying its carrying through.
Thank you a lot for your beautiful exercise,
Yours friendly, Joe39

-------------------
Modifié par joe39 le 02-04-2015 12:16

-------------------
Modifié par joe39 le 07-04-2015 21:37

Réponse : Exercice 36/On y va ! Courage ! de icare29, postée le 01-04-2015 à 17:13:10 (S | E)
Hello Here4u here is my work

1) By the time he was 12, he could speak 3 languages fluently
2) He won't rest until he has found the solution to the problem
3) My kids were in Turkey when the earthquake happened. We have no news from them
4) Could you tell me where the Hebrides are? I have looked at but I couldn't find them
5) Instead of waiting for her, he left at once
6) He won't go to bed until you are back

She is said she had personally known Laurence Olivier when he still was an actor

2) Je regrette de devoir travailler la semaine prochaine, mais je n'ai pas le choix !
I wish I didn't have to work next week , yet I have no choice

3) Je préfèrerais que tu ne leur dises pas que je suis ici depuis hier, sinon, ils viendront aussitôt ?
I would prefer you didn't tell them that I have been here since yesterday , or else they will come immediately

" She have been to the post office", what for ? Just so as to fetch a registered parcel

I haven't got any document and have really got few books concerning that subject. Consequently I can't lend any of them either

"Mais qu'ai-je fait de ma vie ? " pensa madame Ramsay en s'asseyant à l'extrémité de la table et en observant toutes les assiettes qui faisaient sur celle-ci des cercles blancs . Elle ne pouvait pas comprendre comment elle avait ressenti une certaine émotion et même une certaine affection pour son mari . Tandis qu'elle servait la soupe ,elle avait le sentiment d'être passée à côté , à travers et en dehors de toutes choses , comme si elle se trouvait là devant un tourbillon , dans lequel on peut y entrer ou ne pas y entrer , mais dont elle en était sortie .

Thank you for this new exercise

Réponse : Exercice 36/On y va ! Courage ! de here4u, postée le 02-04-2015 à 21:43:17 (S | E)
Hello !
Difficile, la concertation, avec vous ... Vos souhaits et 'idéaux' sont très variés ...
Certains me disent : plus d'exercices, d'autres me disent plus de thème grammatical varié, d'autres préfèrent du thème plus ciblé ... Certains me disent tous les 8 - 10 jours ... d'autres : 15 jours ...
Bref, rien n'est décidé ...
Ce qui est sûr, c'est que je commencerai les corrections demain soir. Donc, si vous faites des changements ensuite, s'il vous plaît, mettez moi un petit mp ! Merci !
Bon long week-end ! Pour tous ceux qui sont mal 'localisés', profitez du moindre petit rayon de soleil ...

Réponse : Exercice 36/On y va ! Courage ! de tereda, postée le 03-04-2015 à 12:53:15 (S | E)

a nice sun which fight against clouds and brings some pretty flowers,
good week-end for HERE 4 U

Réponse : Exercice 36/On y va ! Courage ! de here4u, postée le 05-04-2015 à 21:33:41 (S | E)
Thanks a lot ! and thanks for your messages and suggestions too ...

Still a lot of time for the friends who are tempted to post ...

Réponse : Exercice 36/On y va ! Courage ! de tiasj, postée le 06-04-2015 à 14:24:15 (S | E)
Hello everyone! Hope you had nice Easter days
Here is my try!

I. Matching elements.
1. By the time he was 12, he could speak three languages fluently. (c)
2. He won't rest until he has found the solution to the problem. (e)
3. My kids were in Turkey when the earthquake happened. We had no news from them. (d)
4. Could you tell me where the Hebrides are? I've looked but couldn't fin them. (f)
5. Instead of waiting for her, he left at once. (b)
6. He won't go to bed until you're back. (a)

II. Translate into English.
1. They say she had known Lawrence Oliver very closely when he was still an actor.*
2. I regret to have to work next week, but I don't have a choice!
3. I'd rather ask you not to tell them I am here since yesterday, or else they'll come immediately.
4. "She went to the post office, but what for?" "Only to get a registered package."
5. I have no file, and have really solely a few books on that subject. That means that I can't lend any either.

III. Translate into French.
"Mais qu'ai-je donc fait de ma vie? pensa Mrs. Ramsay tandis qu'elle prenait sa place à la tête de la tablée, en regardant tous les plats qui dessinaient des cercles blancs sur celle-ci. Elle n'arrivait plus à comprendre comment elle avait pu un jour ressentir une quelconque émotion, une quelconque affection pour son mari. Un sentiment l'envahit pendant qu'elle avalait sa soupe : celui d'être passée plus loin que tout, à travers tout, celui d'être en dehors de tout, comme s'il y avait un tourbillon - ici - et que l'on pouvait être à l'intérieur de celui-ci, ou à l'extérieur, et elle était à l'extérieur."

Réponse : Exercice 36/On y va ! Courage ! de siren12, postée le 06-04-2015 à 17:03:35 (S | E)
Hello, here4u, thanks a lot for this new tricky exercise. You'll find my try below:

I.
1 )By the time he was 12, he could speak 3 languages fluently.

II.
1.They say that she personally knew Lawrence Olivier when he was still an actor.

2. I wish I wouldn't have to work next week, but I don't have the choice!

3 . I would rather you didn’t tell them, I have been here since yesterday, otherwise, they'll come right away.

4. She went to the post-office, what for? Just to pick up a registered package.

5. I have none documents and really a few books on this topic. So, I can no longer lend you anything.

III.
Mais qu'ai-je fait de ma vie? Pensait Mme Ramsy, alors qu'elle prenait sa place en tête de table, tout en observant les cercles blancs, formés dessus, par les assiettes.
Elle ne comprenait pas pourquoi elle n'avait pu éprouver aucun sentiment, ni même d'affection, pour son mari. Elle avait l'impression d'être passée partout, à travers tout, à l'extérieur de tout, alors qu’elle se servait la soupe, comme et s'il y avait un tourbillon -là- et que personne ne pouvait y entrer ou en sortir et qu'elle s'y trouvait dehors.

Thank you again,I look forward to seeing you in the next exercise. Bye!
Take care!

Réponse : Exercice 36/On y va ! Courage ! de lakata, postée le 08-04-2015 à 10:40:38 (S | E)
Hello dear Here4u!

Thank you for this new exercise that I have not enough time to finish. I'm really sorry.

II) Translate into English :

She's said to have personally known Lawrence Olivier when he was still an actor.

2) Je regrette de devoir travailler la semaine prochaine, mais je n'ai pas le choix !
I wish I hadn't to work next week, but I have no choice!

3) Je préfèrerais que tu ne leur dises pas que je suis ici depuis hier, sinon, ils viendront aussitôt.
I'd rather you didn't tell them I've been here since yesterday, otherwise, they'll come immediately.

4) " Elle est allée à la poste, pour faire quoi ?" " Simplement pour aller chercher un paquet recommandé."
"She's gone to the post office, what for?/for what?"/ "What has she gone to the post office for?" " Just to fetch a registered parcel."

5) Je n'ai aucun document et n'ai vraiment que peu de livres sur ce sujet. Je ne peux donc en prêter aucun non plus.
I've got not any document and only few books about that subject, so, I can't lend any either.

Enjoy this wonderful sunny day!

Réponse : Exercice 36/On y va ! Courage ! de here4u, postée le 08-04-2015 à 14:21:28 (S | E)
Hello all of you !

Well! All the individual corrections (but one!) have now been posted . There's still time to post and you know that I'll even correct after the collective correction... Ahhhhh.... Flexibility...
I thank you very much for your messages in reply. If you have complementary questions, not satisfied by the collective correction, you know that you can always ask...

Maintenant, beaucoup de suggestions ont été faites, conseils donnés etc, et j'ai pu choisir ce que je peux garder, adopter, rejeter ...
- D'abord, je vais essayer de continuer la répartition des problèmes à l'intérieur d'un exercice ( ex36 : le 1= cadeau ! Qui doit vous permettre de vous échauffer et concentrer pour les vrais efforts à faire (n°2 : difficultés que beaucoup n'ont pas vues , et 3 : difficultés évidentes, mais pas infaisables ...) En conclusion :

- IL N'EST PAS QUESTION que j'arrête les CORRECTIONS INDIVIDUELLES, je sais qu'elles sont précieuses à certains et seules vraiment efficaces (même si elles contiennent parfois des réactions épidermiques , écrites en toute amitié, je vous l' assure ...)
- La somme de corrections ne me dérange pas, mais leur concentration m'est pénible. Donc, me mettre un signe ou mot me donnant le feu vert pour corriger serait précieux et contribuerait à m'aider !
- Ne pas être choqué si j'utilise des majuscules(je ne crie pas ... j'essaie le pragmatisme...) (Les majuscules restent alors que les couleurs s'effacent pendant le transfert de Word (où je corrige et laisse en attente) vers ce site et que je dois, (cette fois ci, encore,) tout recommencer! ( 'l'avance' prise étant irrémédiablement perdue ...)
- je vais essayer de garder le rythme de 10 jours(pas moins), mais ne posterai plus l'exercice suivant avant la correction du précédent, ce qui était devenu, vu votre nombre, ingérable... Il y aura toujours un week-end au moins par 'devoir'.

Ah oui ! Très important! Ne me donner qu'une solution ... Et non comme souvent en ce moment, 2, 3 ou plus, la dernière étant la 'meilleure' (=> ma tension est montée en flèche, j'ai expliqué, corrigé, et finalement, l' excellence arrive, comme une fleur, à la fin! Ouf! ) autrement dit, ne me jetez pas toutes les façons de dire ... Faites le tri vous- mêmes et donnez- moi 'your very best' seulement, comme toujours !
Merci pour tout cet excellent travail et à ce soir, tard pour la correction. N°37 en ligne vers 19h.

Réponse : Exercice 36/On y va ! Courage ! de here4u, postée le 08-04-2015 à 22:58:02 (S | E)
Helloooo !
Here it is... No new post... I can consider I have finished this work! The following one has been online for a few hours...
I'm sure Force and inspiration will be with you...

I)Match a numbered element with a lettered one. Please, type the whole sentence :
1) By the time he was 12, he could speak 3 languages fluently. 1c
2) He won't rest until he has found the solution to the problem.2e
3) My kids were in Turkey when the earthquake happened We had no news from them. 3d
4) Could you tell me where the Hebrides are? I've looked but could't find them.
4f
5) Instead of waiting for her, he left at once. 5b
6) He won't go to bed until you're back. 6a
It was my present to you !

II) Translate into English: Il y avait des difficultés que vous n’avez pas vues …
She is said to have known Lawrence Olivier personally when he was still an actor.
- encore une fois, ‘on’ en français se traduit par un passif : ‘She is said’… ‘Elle avait connu’ au passif = avoir connu = infinitif passé (to have known)
- ne pas oublier l’article défini en position d’attribut : ‘an actor’.

I wish I wouldn’t have to work next week, but I have no choice …
- REGRET => penser : I wish + past perfect ou If only …
'I wish I would …' exprime le mécontentement au sujet de se qui se passe ou non ! C’était donc ici la forme idéale.
- devoir travailler = modalité ; je voudrais ne pas devoir travailler = absence d’obligation => reste 2 possibilités (needn’t impossible ici à cause du temps …) => I wouldn’t have to … I wouldn’t need to …
- la semaine prochaine => pas d’article = next week.

I’d rather you didn’t tell them that I’ve been here since yesterday, otherwise they’ll come straight away…
-‘prefer’ s’emploie dans une langue soignée et est suivi d’une proposition ou d’une forme en –ing (sauf au conditionnel)
- I’d rather + infinitif sans go = I’d rather not tell him ; intervention d’une autre personne : I’d rather you (2 personne)+ prétérit modal d’irréalité=> I’d rather you didn’t tell him.
-‘je suis ici depuis hier’ = point de depart =>since mais action passée qui se poursuit dans le present. => present perfect.
-sinon = or else = otherwise ;

4 « Elle est allée à la poste, pour quoi faire ? » « Simplement pour aller chercher un paquet recommandé ! »

What did she go to the post office for ? Simply to go and fetch a registered parcel.
-je n’ai pas osé (pour ne pas trop ‘sentir la grammaire’ et faire offense au français) écrire ‘Pour quoi faire est-elle …’, mais c’est bien la phrase dont je voulais la traduction … Séparer le ‘What’ initial du ‘for’ est une difficulté pour les Apprenants étrangers …
Si vous posez la question ‘Why did … ?’ , la réponse sera ‘because’.

I have no document whatsoever, and have only few books about this topic. Therefore, I can’t lend any either…
- attention à la difference entre ‘fewbooks’ = peu de livres, trop peu de livres, exprimant une quantité insuffisante ET ‘a few’ = quelques, une petite quantité satisfaisante.

III) Translate into French : ) Le texte était facile à comprendre (‘quoique …’) madame R préside à table et sert le potage … son mari est à l’autre bout (avachi !) et elle pense à la futilité de sa vie, de la vie ( ??) … Questions métaphysiques en servant la soupe !

Virginia WOOLF,To the Lighthouse (1927)

Mais qu’ai-je fait (1)de ma vie? pensa madame Ramsay, prenant place au bout de la table, et regardant l’enfilade des assiettes qui y faisaient des cercles blancs… Elle ne comprenait pas comment elle avait pu ressentir la moindre (2) émotion, ou éprouver une quelconque affection pour son mari. Elle avait le sentiment (3) d’être au-delà de tout(4), à travers tout(5), hors de tout, alors qu’elle servait le potage, comme s’il y avait là un tourbillon (6) et que vous pouviez être dedans ou dehors et elle était vraiment au dehors …

(1)= present perfect de bilan …
(2)= ‘any’ placé devant ‘emotion’ and ‘affection’ avait besoin d’être traduit
(3) Elle avait l’impression /Il lui semblait
(4) = en avoir fini de/avec … ; ‘past endurance’ = insupportable ; ‘to be past caring’ = en avoir fini de se faire du souci ; ‘past child-bearing’ = avoir passé l’âge de
(5) through : j’ai préféré garder l’idée d’’à travers’ pour ne pas répéter celle de ‘finitude’, lassitude, exprimée juste avant. En avoir fini avec = ‘to be through WITH stg’ …
(6) C’est sans doute le tourbillon créé par la louche (ladle) dans le potage qui l’a amenée au ‘tourbillon de la vie’. Beaucoup ont fait l’assimilation plus directe … je préfère penser que la mélancolie de Madame Ramsay l’a entraînée de l’un à l'autre.

Mon ordi fait de la résistance Ggggrrrrrr!

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 10-04-2015 17:40
C'est le printemps, j'ai ajouté du vert là où ça manquait

Réponse : Exercice 36/On y va ! Courage ! de lucile83, postée le 08-04-2015 à 23:40:27 (S | E)

Great ! Thank you

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Exercices du forum

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux