Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Oral /Myths and Heroes

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Oral /Myths and Heroes
Message de gold010 posté le 09-04-2015 à 23:03:10 (S | E | F)
Good evening everyone!
Je suis en Terminale S et je passe mon oral en anglais lundi; j'aimerais bien que quelqu'un me donne donne son opinion sur mon travail s'il vous plait. Merci d'avance!

The notion I’m going to talk about is myths and heroes. To begin with, I’d like to give a definition of these two terms. A myth is a story that may or may not be true. There may not be records or other proof that it happened, but at least some parts of myths may be true. Some myths may have started as ‘true’ stories but as people re-told them some parts may have been changed by mistake, or to make them more interesting. These stories have great symbolic power, and this may be a major reason why they survive as long as they do, sometimes for thousands of years. A hero is a person who is admired for their courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities. It can be the main character in a book or a film or a person with superhuman qualities. It can also be a modern-day hero, a person who has performed a heroic act or simply our own personal hero, our role model, who we look up to.
We may wonder if heroes are just empty symbols or popular icons. My presentation will fall into 2 parts: First of all, I will concentrate on the myth that is the American Dream, and then I will focus on the so-called “business titans” of our generation.

I’m going to start my first part about the American Dream. In class we’ve studied a cartoon in which the pilgrims desire to enter the American land by ship only that the Native Americans have built a wall to prevent them from entering the land, while being hostile. The author’s intent was to make an ironic comparison between the arrival of the Pilgrims and the present day issue of immigration in the USA. When the Pilgrims arrived, not only did the Indians accept their presence but they went as far as to help them by teaching them how to farm.
Speaking of immigration, we’ve also listened to a song by Bruce Springsteen entitled American Land/The Land of Marvels. In this song, the USA is described as a nation of immigrants, listing the Blacks, the Irish, the Italians, the Germans and the Jews. Throughout the song, the USA is described as a land of opportunity, an open society, a land where people are so well-off they buy luxury goods, everyone is on equal footing, and there are no social barriers. It is suggested that people can become billionaires overnight. The singer pays tribute to the working class by referring to their dedication, their sacrifice, their tears, blood and sweat and their guts to leave their home, their culture, their families in hope of a better life in a new country. I believe that the lyrics are stereotyped and biased and could in fact criticize a very common vision among immigrants throughout the globe for the American dream isn’t the only one.

Now I’m going to pass to my second part about the business titans. In class we’ve analyzed the cover for the 1998 Time magazine about the most influential business geniuses of the century. At the top of this cover we can see the faces of a couple of these geniuses, for example Walt Disney who is most well-known for his influence in all areas of the motion-picture business, the man who brought Mickey Mouse to life who could in fact be a fictional hero to a lot of young kids. On this cover there’s also Bill Gates, the man who, in my opinion, absolutely revolutionized technology by being the founder and the current CEO of Microsoft. Another familiar face on that cover is Henry Ford, the founder of Ford motor company and the man who revolutionized automobiles in America. One man, who is not on this cover and who, in my opinion, deserves to be is the visionary Steve Jobs who started from scratch and who came up with a large amount of products that completely transformed modern life. These men seem overtime to have become more than just men. They have become images of power and their names will never die.

In conclusion, as far as I am concerned, I think that there are different myths and heroes. It all depends on your own definition, your own perception of a hero and a myth. I personally consider a hero someone who inspires you, someone you can easily look up to. Yet there may be some people who are considered heroes but whom in fact are only doing what they’re doing because they like the fame, the glory, the money, and not necessarily because they want to inspire a certain someone. I think my presentation is done.

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 09-04-2015 23:19

Réponse: Oral /Myths and Heroes de here4u, postée le 10-04-2015 à 17:35:38 (S | E)
hello !

It's much too long to do it in one go... I start...

The notion I’m going to talk about is 'myths and heroes'. To begin with, I’d like to give a definition of these two terms. A myth is a story that may or may not be true. There may not be records or other proof that it happened, but at least some parts of myths may be true. Some myths may have started as ‘true’ stories but as people re-told them, some parts may have been changed by mistake, or to make them more 'interesting'. These stories have X great symbolic power, and this may be a major reason why they survive as long as they do, sometimes for thousands of years. A hero is a person who is admired for their courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities. It can be the main character in a book or a film or a person with superhuman qualities. It can also be a modern-day hero, a person who has performed a heroic act or simply BE our own personal hero, our role model, whoX we look up to.
We may wonder if heroes are just empty symbols or popular icons. My presentation will fall into 2 parts: First of all, I will concentrate on the myth (that is) OF the American Dream, and then I will focus on the so-called “business titans” of our generation.

I’m going to start my first part about the American Dream. In class we’ve studied a cartoon in which the pilgrims desire to enter the American land by ship only that ???the Native Americans have built a wall to prevent them from entering the land, while being hostile. The author’s intent was to make an ironic comparison between the arrival of the Pilgrims and the present day issue of immigration in the USA. When the Pilgrims arrived, not only did the Indians accept their presence but they went as far as to help them by teaching them how to farm.

Speaking of immigration, we’ve also listened to a song by Bruce Springsteen entitled American Land/The Land of Marvels. In this song, the USA is described as a nation of immigrants, listing the Blacks, the Irish, the Italians, the Germans and the Jews. Throughout the song, the USA is described as a land of opportunity, an open society, a land where people are so well-off they buy luxury goods, everyone is on equal footing, and there are no social barriers.
OK ! My 'break' is finished for now ... Back to work !

Réponse: Oral /Myths and Heroes de gold010, postée le 11-04-2015 à 09:59:02 (S | E)
Thanks for your help! What's the problem with "pilgrims desire" ?

Réponse: Oral /Myths and Heroes de here4u, postée le 11-04-2015 à 13:53:32 (S | E)
Hello !
Quel est le rapport entre 'pilgrims' et 'desire'???... Pour l'oral, la faute ne s'entend pas ... mais à l'écrit ...

It is suggested that people can become billionaires overnight. The singer pays tribute to the working class by referring to their dedication, their sacrifice, their tears, blood and sweat and their guts to leave their home, their culture, their families in XXX hope of a better life in a new country. I believe that the lyrics are stereotyped and biased and could in fact criticize a very common vision among immigrants throughout the globe for the American dream isn’t the only one.

Now I’m going to pass to (very clumsy) my second part about the business titans. In class we’ve analyzed the cover for the 1998 Time magazine about the most influential business geniuses of the century. At the top of this cover we can see the faces of a couple of these geniuses, for example Walt Disney who is most well-known for his influence in all areas of the motion-picture business, the man who brought Mickey Mouse who could in fact be a fictional hero to a lot of young kids. On this cover there’s also Bill Gates, the man who, in my opinion, absolutely revolutionized technology by being the founder and the current CEO of Microsoft. Another familiar face on that cover is Henry Ford, the founder of Ford motor company and the man who revolutionized automobiles in America. One man, who is not on this cover and who, in my opinion, deserves to be is the visionary Steve Jobs who started from scratch and who came up with a large amount of products that completely transformed modern life. These men seem overtime(word order? vocabulary? punctuation? ...)to have become more than just men. They have become images of power and their names will never die.

In conclusion, as far as I am concerned, I think that there are different myths and heroes. It all depends on your own definition, your own perception of a hero and a myth. I personally consider a hero XXX someone who inspires you, someone you can easily look up to. Yet there may be some people who are considered heroes but whom in fact are only doing what they’re doing because they like the fame, the glory, the money, and not necessarily because they want to inspire a certain someone. I think my presentation is done.(Strange ending ...)

Réponse: Oral /Myths and Heroes de gold010, postée le 11-04-2015 à 18:54:10 (S | E)
". There may not be records or other proofs that it happened, but at least some parts of myths may be true. Some myths may have started as ‘true’ stories but as people re-told them some parts may have been changed by mistake, or to make them more interesting. These stories have a great symbolic power, and this may be a major reason why they survive as long as they do, sometimes for thousands of years. A hero is a person who is admired for his courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities. He can be the main character in a book or a film or a person with superhuman qualities. He can also be a modern-day hero, a person who has performed a heroic act or simply our own personal hero, our role model, who we look up to. "

"In class we’ve studied a cartoon in which the pilgrims hoped they could have entered the American land by ship only to see that the Native Americans have built a wall to prevent them from entering the land, while being hostile"

"their guts to leave their home, their culture, their families in XXX hope of a better life in a new country." Comme je parle de "the working class", c'est their home, their culture, pas de pluriel. En plus c’était une phrase donnée par le prof (sans le sweat, blood and tears). Et vous voulez que je dis "in THE hope"? Ça m'a l'air bizarre.

"Now I’m going to move on to my second part about the business titans."

"Overtime, these men seem to have become more than just men. They have become images of power and their names will never die, because they’ve left their mark in history."

"I personally consider a hero to be someone who inspires you, someone you can easily look up to. Yet there may be some people who are considered heroes but whom in fact are only doing what they’re doing because they like fame, glory and money, and not necessarily because they want to inspire someone. I think my presentation is done.(Strange ending ...)"

Le "I think my presentation is done" c'est dans les fiches méthode que le prof nous a données.

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 11-04-2015 20:35

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux