Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Aide/Spaces and Exchanges

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Aide/Spaces and Exchanges
Message de missalice75 posté le 23-04-2015 à 18:22:02 (S | E | F)
Bonjour,
je prépare ma notion Espaces et Echanges. J'aimerais avoir des avis, des conseils et éventuellement des corrections à propos de ma présentation si possible. Je remercie par avance la bonne âme qui voudrait bien m'aider.

I am going to deal with the notion of spaces and exchanges. An exchange is an act of giving and receiving something else in return.
All societies are somehow defined by the geographical and symbolic space they occupy. Through trade, conquest, emigration and communication, nations have always influenced others beyond their borders and have always in return, been influenced culturally, economically, politically etc.
Our world has never seemed smaller as the context of globalization and the progress of new technologies have accelerated the rhythm of exchanges between different areas.
But because the North has developed much more faster than the South, many countries like the United States, France, The united Kingdom etc appear like real poles of attraction. This context triggers massive migration patterns.
People usually emigrate to another country in order to search for liberty, prosperity. They want to escape from the economic or political hardship of their home country.
But my question is : Is the integration of immigrants in their host country really possible, when they have to start from scratch?
In order to answer this question, I will focus on the Mexican migration in the United States.

I° First of all, the United States are the first host country for latino immigrants. Half of the immigrants in the US have Spanish origins. So Spanish in the second spoken language in the US today and is used by 35M people ( which represents more than 15% of the population).
So we can think that the integration of the big community of Hispanics in the economic life of the US is possible. Indeed, a part of the American economy is based on a unskilled workforce ready to endure difficult working conditions, that Americans workers wouldn’t have accepted. So some Americans view the great number of immigrants as a cheap labour force. Thus, latino immigrants can participate to the economic wealth of the US.

II° But is the integration in a whole new society possible when we don’t even master its language ? Hispanics in the US usually speak Spanglish, which is a language formed by the interaction between Spanish and English. In an article entitled: Spanglish,the Making of a New American Language, written by Ilan STAVANS and published in 2003, the author explains that over the years, Spanglish has become highly popular among people of Hispanic origin because they see it as a way of integrating into American society while preserving their cultural and linguistic heritage.
But at the same time, Stavans calls Spanglish « the tongue of the uneducated ». It implies that Spanglish speakers usually do not master English and therefore do not succeed in higher education, which is the key to social mobility.
Indeed, he shows that only 14% of Latino students in the country graduate from college. So Spanglish appears as a trap Hispanics fall into on the road of integration.
When the author writes « English is the door to the American Dream » he means that without English, no integration in possible in the US.
Because English is the world’s language, it is the only language always required if you want to apply for a job. English is the key to make it to the top

III° But there is also another basic problem. In a article entitled Melting Pot or Salad Bowl, written by Ralf Dahrendorf and published in the Taipei times in 2004, the journalist explains that in the past, once immigrants had arrived in America, they used to make « every effort to accept what they found and integrate ». That process made the American melting pot possible : people from a great number of different cultures mixed with one another to form the American people.
But nowadays, the concentration of immigrants of the same origins has led to the creation of different ethnic neighborhoods. This immigration process has been called « salad bowl ». In this case this case the ingredients remain separated. It implies that many immigrants feel more and more isolated in their host country.
As there are great differences between the countries of origin and host countries, it gives birth to « huge cultural divides » which are more likely to create tension and cultural clashes.

To conclude, because cultural divides are far more important nowadays than in the past, immigrants feel certainly more rejected in their host country. The American Dream turns out to be more an utopia than a reality.
From my own experience, I think that only the second generation of immigrants, born in the host country can fully integrate the society. My parents arrived in France 20years ago, but they still don’t master French and barely know a thing about French culture. But as for me, born and grew up in Paris, it is way more easier to integrated French society.

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 23-04-2015 18:27

Réponse: Aide/Spaces and Exchanges de gerondif, postée le 23-04-2015 à 18:32:37 (S | E)
Bonjour,

texte bien fait, phrases bien construites et agréables à lire.
Deux points à revoir:
la formation du comparatif: er aux adjectifs courts (he is older than me) et more devant un adjectif long (He is more patient than me)
si on rajoute much, pour dire bien plus, beaucoup, il se rajoute à la structure:
He is much taller and much more powerful than I am.

a ou an ? Attention, on met an devant un SON voyelle:
an apple, son a
an ape, son ei
an arsenic poisoning, son a:
an ultimate decision, son
mais a uniform, son j comme dans yes!

erreurs en bleu, corrections en vert

I am going to deal with the notion of spaces and exchanges. An exchange is an act of giving and receiving something else in return.
All societies are somehow defined by the geographical and symbolic space they occupy. Through trade, conquest, emigration and communication, nations have always influenced others beyond their borders and have always in return, been influenced culturally, economically, politically etc(je ne me risquerais pas à balancer un etc dans un oral).
Our world has never seemed smaller as the context of globalization and the progress of new technologies have accelerated the rhythm of exchanges between different areas.
But because the North has developed much more faster than the South, many countries like the United States, France, The United Kingdom etc appear like real poles of attraction. This context triggers massive migration patterns.
People usually emigrate to another country in order to search (pour moi, to search, c'est fouiller quelqu'un au corps, le palper, to look for serait moins risqué!)for liberty, prosperity. They want to escape from(verbe transitif) the economic or political hardship of their home country.
But my question is : Is the integration of immigrants in their host country really possible, when they have to start from scratch?
In order to answer this question, I will focus on the Mexican migration in (to?) the United States.

I° First of all, the United States are the first host country for latino immigrants. Half of the immigrants in the US have Spanish origins. So Spanish in the second spoken language in the US today and is used by 35 million (invariable) people ( which represents more than 15% of the population).
So we can think that the integration of the big community of Hispanics in the economic life of the US is possible. Indeed, a part of the American economy is based on a [nskild° unskilled workforce ready to endure difficult working conditions,(virgule à enlever) that Americans workers wouldn’t have accepted. So some Americans view the great number of immigrants as a cheap labour force. Thus, latino immigrants can participate (le dictionnaire en ligne (double click sur un mot) dit to participate in) to the economic wealth of the US.

II° But is the integration in a whole new society possible when we(vous êtes mexicaine?) don’t even master its language ? Hispanics in the US usually speak Spanglish, which is a language formed by the interaction between Spanish and English. In an article entitled: Spanglish,the Making of a New American Language, written by Ilan STAVANS and published in 2003, the author explains that over the years, Spanglish has become highly popular among people of Hispanic origin because they see it as a way of integrating into American society while preserving their cultural and linguistic heritage.
But at the same time, Stavans calls Spanglish « the tongue of the uneducated ». It implies that Spanglish speakers usually do not master English and therefore do not succeed in higher education, which is the key to social mobility.
Indeed, he shows that only 14% of Latino students in the country graduate from college. So Spanglish appears as a trap Hispanics fall into on the road of integration.
When the author writes « English is the door to the American Dream » he means that without English, no integration in possible in the US.
Because English is the world’s language, it is the only language always required if you want to apply for a job. English is the key to make it to the top.

III° But there is also another basic problem. In a article entitled Melting Pot or Salad Bowl, written by Ralf Dahrendorf and published in the Taipei Times in 2004, the journalist explains that in the past, once immigrants had arrived in America, they used to make « every effort to accept what they found and integrate ». That process made the American melting pot possible : people from a great number of different cultures mixed with one another to form the American people.
But nowadays, the concentration of immigrants of the same origins has led to the creation of different ethnic neighborhoods. This immigration process has been called « salad bowl ». In this case this case the ingredients remain separated. It implies that many immigrants feel more and more isolated in their host country.
As there are great differences between the countries of origin and host countries, it gives birth to « huge cultural divides » which are more likely to create tension and cultural clashes.

To conclude, because cultural divides are far more important nowadays than in the past, immigrants feel certainly more rejected in their host country. The American Dream turns out to be more an utopia (son [ju]than a reality.
From my own experience, I think that only the second generation of immigrants, born in the host country can fully integrate the society. My parents arrived in France 20 years ago, but they still don’t master French and barely know a thing about French culture. But as for me, born and grew( to grow, I grew grown! on prend lequel?) up in Paris, it is way (on peut remplacer way par much) more easier to integrated(infinitif!) French society.

Réponse: Aide/Spaces and Exchanges de kimberlyblk, postée le 23-04-2015 à 23:51:00 (S | E)
Gerondif a tout dit! J'ai adoré ton intro, très professionnel. Dans mon lycée on doit impérativement citer les documents qu'on a étudié pour remplir le développement... ça n'est pas pareil pour vous ?

Réponse: Aide/Spaces and Exchanges de traviskidd, postée le 24-04-2015 à 02:59:27 (S | E)
Hello. I agree with gerondif that the text is overall well done and pleasant to read. As is his correction. I will just add some supplementary observations and suggestions:

- the North (of what?)
- the United States, The United Kingdom : I don't know if there's a rule as to whether or not you should capitalize "the" when it is part of a country's name, but at the least you should be consistent.
- liberty, prosperity : two items should be separated by "and" instead of a comma
- (the) Mexican migration into the United States
- The United States are is (one country)
- Latino (always capitalized)
- (the) integration into a whole new society
- the road of to integration (integration is the "destination")
- the only one language always required ("only" implies a minimization of the requirement)
- fully integrate (oneself) into
- my parents ... still don't master(wrong tense; "master" is like "learn")
- having been born

Hope this helps; good luck!

Réponse: Aide/Spaces and Exchanges de missalice75, postée le 24-04-2015 à 13:31:08 (S | E)
Thank you a lot, your advice really helped me ! I am so grateful Merci beaucoup pour vos corrections et aides :D

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux