Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

(used to) how to use it

<< English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Suivre ce sujet]

(used to) how to use it
Message from aya2002 posted on 01-03-2010 at 01:03:19 (D | E | F)

Hi Friends,

can somebody tell me what is the difference between the following two sentences? the difference between the following two sentences is?

I used to have a bicycle.
I was have a bicycle.

In other words: how to use the words (used to)?

Thanks...

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 01-03-2010 07:00

Re: (used to) how to use it from sirina25, posted on 01-03-2010 at 02:28:59 (D | E)
hi

just to answer your question, used to refers to a habitual action in the past, for instance, I used to get up at 8 am, it means for a long period of time I got up at 8 am but not anymore.
As far as your second question is concerned, 'I was have a bicycle', this sentence is grammatically incorrect.If you meant that you once had a bicycle and not anymore, you have just to say ' I had a bicycle' in this case, we do not use 'used to' because it is not a habitual action in the past.

I hope that I helped you...

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 01-03-2010 07:03
That is not quite right,see the post below.

Re: (used to) how to use it from traviskidd, posted on 01-03-2010 at 02:59:26 (D | E)
Hello.

You can indeed say "I used to have a bicycle"; it means "I once had a bicycle (but don't anymore)."

"Was have" is ungrammatical, however.

See you.

Re: (used to) how to use it from gerondif, posted on 01-03-2010 at 19:07:51 (D | E)
Hello Sirina,

I think you make a confusion between:

1) I am used to this bicycle, I am used to riding this bicycle,
this adjectival phrase denoting a habit can be used at any tense with the verb to be or to get:
You will get used to him, don't worry.
I got used to him after a few days.
in a few days, you will be used to this new bed, you will be used to sleeping in it.
I loved my dog Brutus, I was used to him, I was used to playing with him.

2) The verb "used to" means that you used to do something in the past but not any more:

I used to smoke when I was young but I don't smoke any more.
I used to have a bicycle but nowadays, I drive to work.

Note that you could go on smoking, it doesn't have to be over.
I used to smoke when I was young and unfortunately, I still do .

It exists only in the past, in the preterite, and uses "did" for its various forms:

Did you use to smoke when you were younger ? Yes, I did / Yes, I used to
No, I didn't / No,I didn't use to .

"I was have" is incorrect indeed.

"I was used to having problems with that old bicycle " would be correct.

Re: (used to) how to use it from saleem, posted on 05-03-2010 at 10:08:46 (D | E)
Hello.

I used to have a bicycle shows a habit in the past that no longer exists.
The second should be I was used to having a bicycle and means that I owned a bicycle in the past and I still do .

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 05-03-2010 14:08

Re: (used to) how to use it from may, posted on 07-03-2010 at 16:10:25 (D | E)

Good morning Saleem,

Congratulations, you have got the meaning of "used to". However, there is a slight confusion which I prefer to put a notion here.

As per your understanding:

I used to have a bicycle shows a habit in the past that no longer exists.
The second should be I was used to having a bicycle and means that I owned a bicycle in the past and I still do .

First of all, "I used to have a bicycle" indicates a fact , not a habit.

Second of all, either of the sentence would be understood the same ( the fact is you did have a bicycle in the past).

Also, allow me for an example which shows a habit in the past:

I used to ride my bicycle around the park nearby when the weather's permitted.
(then you might add: I still do it whenever I have chance).

Best regards,

May

Re: (used to) how to use it from saleem, posted on 12-03-2010 at 18:21:59 (D | E)

Hello,

Thanks for your remarks and notions you have stated to clearify the examples and I agree
with you that the first example shows a fact indeed.

With my best wishes.

Re: (used to) how to use it from lamar, posted on 15-03-2010 at 16:09:35 (D | E)
Hi aya2002,
Look at this " How to use it.
There's a big difference between used to live – to talk about past habits or states and is used to doing – to talk about something that you are now familiar with.

For example, a common mistake is "I am used to study."

Do you mean that you used to study, but you don't study any more, or do you mean that you know about studying?

Avoid making mistakes by remembering the verb pattern.

Used to + verb describes a past habit or state.

For example:

He used to smoke, but he doesn't now."

To be used to + verb with ing describes something that you are now familiar with.

For example, "Five years ago, I didn't know about the internet. Now I am used to working with it."
Good Luck

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Suivre ce sujet]

<< English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux