Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Foreign words/use

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Foreign words/use
Message from grenouille182 posted on 16-03-2012 at 18:09:07 (D | E | F)
Hello.

I´m not sure about the use of these foreign words, so if you can look at it, I will be happy
Thank you.

1. The General who overthrew the President became the ´´de facto´´ ruler of the country.

2. What is the average ´´per capita´´ income in your country?

3. It says in the invitation that wives are allowed to bring their husbands and ´´vice versa´´.So
I shall certainly take Anne with me.

4. If you ask me, most of this ´´avant-garde´´ music is rubbish. Give me Beethoven or Mozart any day!

5. You made a terrible ´´faux pas´´ when you asked how his wife was. Didn´t you know that she´d recently run off with his best friend?

6. They decided to set up an ´´ad hoc´´ committee to deal with the urgent problem that had come up.

7. He was thrown out of the country two years ago and has been ´´persona non grata´´ since then.

8. Generally speaking, students are against preserving the ´´status quo´´ in a country. They usually want change and reform.

9. She gained a lot of ´´kudos´´ after her third successful novel.

10. He came to power in a violent and bloody ´´coup d´état´´

11. As President she will be a /n/ ´´ex officio´´.member of several important committees.

12. The car park is for ´´bona fide´´ .customers only. No one else is allowed to use it.

13. As there seems to be a ´´prima facie´´case against him, they decided to press for a trial immediately.

14. When Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher met for the first time, there was an instant ´´rapport´´ between them.

15. Don´t mention golf when Charles is around, otherwise he´ll go on ´´ad infinitum´´ about it.

16. It is hard to believe in the present´´détente´´ that the two countries were at war with one another less than two years ago.

17. The Prime Minister handled the hostile questioning of the journalists with great ´´aplomb´´
18. Your argument is a ´´non.sequitur´´ and totally irrelevant!

19. I´d like to see you tomorrow, John,´´vis-à-vis´´ the proposed new changes.

20. It was a very nice house ´´per sé´´ But it wasn´t quite the sort of the place we were looking for.

21. The case involved discussing matter which were top secret, so it was held ´´in camera´´

22. No one told me what to do. I was given ´´carte blanche´´ to organise things as I saw fit.

23. Applicants must send in a full ´´CV´´ no later than Friday,March 24th.

24. We usually eat ´´alfresco´´ in the summer.

25. He gave me a l0 per cent discount as a ´´quid pro quo´´ for having helped him mend his car.

26. He was believed to have been ´´non compos mentis´´ when he attempted to commit suicide.

27. Visiting Russia so often made him very ´´blasé ´´about eating caviar.

28. Our school offers a wide range of ´´extra-curricular´´ activities, including karate and folk-dancing.

29. I had a very interesting ´´ tête-à-tête ´´with the new manager last week.

30. The ´´post mortem´´ examination showed that she had died of a heart attack.

If there are some mistakes, there is the list of foreign words I could choose from to do this exercise : ad hoc, ad infinitum, alfresco, aplomb, avant garde, blasé, bona fide, de facto, carte blanche, coup d´ état, curriculum vitae, détente, ex officio, extra-curricular, faux pas, in camera, kudos, non compos mentis, non sequitur, per capita, per se, post mortem, persona non grata, prima facie, quid pro quo, rapport, status quo, vice versa, vis-á-vis, tête- á- tête

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 16-03-2012 21:46

Re: Foreign words/use from bluestar, posted on 16-03-2012 at 18:32:04 (D | E)
Hello,
I can't find any mistakes here - well done!

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 16-03-2012 21:49

Re: Foreign words/use from grenouille182, posted on 16-03-2012 at 18:42:53 (D | E)
Thank you !

Re: Foreign words/use from jonquille, posted on 17-03-2012 at 19:40:38 (D | E)
Excellent! It is always amazing to see how many foreign words become part of everyday vocabulary (in any language!).

Re: Foreign words/use from hyanice, posted on 17-03-2012 at 23:34:46 (D | E)
there's no mistake. well done!

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux