Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Of or for/help

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Of or for/help
Message from a_limon posted on 12-05-2012 at 19:38:50 (D | E | F)
Hello

I have a doubt if "for" and "of" could be interchangeable in some sentences.
I mean the cases when they could be used we could use 'of' instead of 'for' without disordering changing the meaning of the sentence.

- The proposal for(of) reducing the working week....
Thanks in advance.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 12-05-2012 20:24

Re: Of or for/help from gerondif, posted on 12-05-2012 at 23:40:38 (D | E)
Hello,
the meaning seems to be different between of and for.

1) Imagine a politician who proposed last week a very concrete plan to reduce the working week. You can say:
His proposal of reducing the working week was welcome by his supporters but severely criticized by his opponents.
"reducing the working week" is something that exists, that could be written down in a political program.

2) This politician made several proposals for reducing the working week /(in order)to reduce the working week (would seem more common to me)/ aimed at reducing the working week.
Here, it is more an aim, a project that will be attained in the future.

Re: Of or for/help from notrepere, posted on 13-05-2012 at 01:30:48 (D | E)
Hello

His proposal of reducing the working week was welcome by his supporters but severely criticized by his opponents.
Let's take this sentence as an example. In this case, we know that a proposal has been put forth but we don't know what the details are.
If you were to say:
His proposal for reducing...
We assume that there is a specific proposal.

This is confirmed by asking the sentence as a question:
Can you tell me what your proposal for reducing the work(ing) week is?
In this case, the word "of" would not work at all.

Re: Of or for/help from a_limon, posted on 13-05-2012 at 11:46:53 (D | E)
OK! I've understood what you mean. Thanks.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux