Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

About /auxiliary verbs

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

About /auxiliary verbs
Message from dangkhoa posted on 22-05-2012 at 09:20:18 (D | E | F)
Hello,

To have to + infinitive and to have got to + infinitive are used to express an external authority.
To have to + infinitive is used for habitual actions, and to have got to + infinitive for single actions only.
I don't know what the habitual actions are, and what about the single actions.
Could you please explain the usage and by the way give the examples of their use.
Thank very much.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 22-05-2012 09:40

Re: About /auxiliary verbs from bluestar, posted on 22-05-2012 at 15:02:31 (D | E)
Hello,

"Have to + infinitive" and "have got to + infinitive" are both used to express necessity or obligation. The meaning is the same, but "have got to" is more informal and its use is usually confined to the present tense. Either form may be used for single actions (actions that do not recur) or for habitual actions (actions that are repeated)..

Examples:

"I have to (or 'have got to') go to work every day" -- (habitual action)

"We have to (or 'have got to') move house next week" - (single action)

Re: About /auxiliary verbs from gerondif, posted on 22-05-2012 at 17:21:16 (D | E)
Hello,
we used to be taught this:

I must watch this good film: I decide myself to watch it, nobody is forcing me.

I have to go to the doctor's every month: circumstances, my health, force me to go, I have no choice and it is something that I know about, it is regular.

Oh no ! Look at that note I have just received: I've got to go to this meeting tonight! I didn't know that two minutes ago, it comes as a surprise, an impediment, something I would have preferred not to do.

Now, very often, I have to and I've got to mean the same thing, I would agree that the second is more informal.

Re: About /auxiliary verbs from dangkhoa, posted on 22-05-2012 at 19:01:57 (D | E)
I thank you for explaining the use of to have + to-infinitive and to have got + to-infinitive. I'm hoping to introduce myself to you and to be considered as your friends.

Re: About /auxiliary verbs from willy, posted on 22-05-2012 at 20:48:27 (D | E)
Hello!

I must go to the dentist's: personal obligation (toothache!)
I must go now ; I don't want to be late.
You haven't got much time; you must hurry.

I've got to go to the dentist's now: I've got an appointment.
I've got to work tomorrow.

I have to go to the dentist's: I work with him every morning.
What do I have to do to get a driving licence ?

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux