Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

A clause/a phrase

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

A clause/a phrase
Message from a_limon posted on 19-06-2012 at 18:27:15 (D | E | F)
Hello!
Could someone tell me please what is the difference between the participle phrase and the participle clause is?
I often meet the term "a participle clause", but I know clauses of four types: main [or independent], subordinate [or dependent], adjective [or relative], and noun. What the participle phrase is I know too.
Thank you in advance.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 19-06-2012 18:32

Re: A clause/a phrase from lucile83, posted on 19-06-2012 at 18:36:44 (D | E)
Hello,

Please use a dictionary:
Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Regards.
Link

If you know what a participle phrase is and what a participle clause is, why do you ask about the difference?

Re: A clause/a phrase from a_limon, posted on 19-06-2012 at 19:35:37 (D | E)
Hello,
If you know what a participle phrase is and what a participle clause is, why do you ask about the difference?
Lucile, I don't know what a participle clause is. And I don't understand when I see this term in grammar. Is any difference at all? I didn't find the answer in your links,though thanks for links of good dictionaries.

It seems that I have found some stuff about the participle clause, the participle clause is a elliptical phrase?
Link

But the other question arose, whether every participle phrase is a participle clause? In Russian we used participle phrases as adjective, for describing the nouns,without thinking about cutting sentences. At least I always excepted participle phrases as the participle phrases by themselves. I never thought that a participle phrase may come of the sentence (clause).

Re: A clause/a phrase from lucile83, posted on 19-06-2012 at 21:21:52 (D | E)
Hello,

See here then, I searched it for you
Participle phrase:
Link

Participle clause:
Link

And please stop thinking and learn, stop comparing Russian and English, and learn

Re: A clause/a phrase from a_limon, posted on 19-06-2012 at 23:33:09 (D | E)
Hello,
Lucile,I have already come across the stuff of this link Link

But nevertheless, I have a doubt about
1)whether the participle phrase is the same that participle clause. (I think,it's possible not always,because,for example,the conjunctions before, when are used in the participle clause,while the participle phrase begins with the participle itself by definition. Also,the conjunctions after, while can be used in this tipe of a clause.)
2)It is not clear to me why the clause in the sentence With Mrs Jones going to New York, Mr Smith took up her position. is the participle clause,not the gerund clause. If only it means With (that) Mrs Jones was going to New York, Mr Smith took up her position.
3)Tell me please if I am right if I think that in the sentence I like to go shopping.(I like to go and shopping), shopping is the gerund, while in the sentence I went shopping. participle (I went and shoped.)

-------------------
Edited by a_limon on 19-06-2012 23:34

Re: A clause/a phrase from a_limon, posted on 20-06-2012 at 14:58:01 (D | E)
Hi!
I asked the question about "ing-form" in the phrases "go+ing" and some other verb+ing because I have met different explaings the ing-form as the participle and the gerund. So I tried to explain this difference.
She was crying while she sat on the bench.--->She sat crying on the bench. (crying is the participle)
To sit and cry on the bench was her usuall thing. (To sit (in) crying was her usuall thing.)(the crying is the gerund)
She was running while she came. She came running. (the participle)

Re: A clause/a phrase from gerondif, posted on 20-06-2012 at 16:17:39 (D | E)
Hello,

After teaching, I relax /after school, I relax. teaching is a gerund, after is a preposition
After I have been teaching, I relax. teaching is a present participle, after is a conjunction.

What matters most is to make a correct sentence, not to dissecate it.

about go:

Normally, you say:
Go and help your mother.
Go and watch the film.
Don't go and bother her!

if it is a collective sport inside some ground: Go and play football, tennis, rugby.
If it is a game: Go and play poker.

If it is a sport practised individually, normally outside:
Go running, go swimming, go climbing, go hiking, go shopping (considered as a sport!!)

Now what does it really matter what that ing is ? use the rule !

Go and practise swimming would be a gerund.

Re: A clause/a phrase from a_limon, posted on 20-06-2012 at 16:55:33 (D | E)
Hello,
oh,practise swimming doesn't question or puzzle me.The "swimming" is the direct object of the verb "practise".
It's clear as 2*2=4, The verb "go" like "come" is the intransitive one, and "ing" form next to it doesn't seem the gerund.

Re: A clause/a phrase from a_limon, posted on 21-06-2012 at 21:02:12 (D | E)
Hello,
Tell me please whether the sentence "He got caught by the police as he was sitting in the car and getting ready to leave."
could be written like "He got caught by the police,sitting in the car ang getting ready to leave."

Re: A clause/a phrase from gerondif, posted on 21-06-2012 at 23:47:37 (D | E)
Hello,
Yes, it could ,but replacing my "as" by a comma , just a simultaneity, can be seen as weakening the sentence.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux