Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Preposition / gerund

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Preposition / gerund
Message from a_limon posted on 02-07-2012 at 01:10:53 (D | E | F)
Hello!

Could you tell me please whether it is necessary to put the preposition "in" before the gerund "going" in the 1)3)4)sentences?
1)It was no use going there so early.
2)It was no hedgehog going across the street. (going is the participle here,so,no preposition here)
3)It was trouble going across that street.
4)There was trouble going across that street.
Thank you in advance.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 02-07-2012 09:14
title

Re: Preposition / gerund from chose65, posted on 02-07-2012 at 09:16:54 (D | E)
Hello,
Sentences 3 and 4 are the same as 'be going to', so you don't need to use in.
You have INg because of the Be-ing.
Sentence 1 I would say no 'in' because 'there was no use' going there was bv ing is followed by a gerund.
So I wouldn't use 'In' in none any of those sentences!!!
Take care.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 02-07-2012 09:22
Please use upper cases and punctuation when necessary, thanks.

Re: Preposition / gerund from a_limon, posted on 02-07-2012 at 20:16:22 (D | E)
Hello,

Sentences 3 and 4 are the same as 'be going to', so you don't need to use in.
They are not the same.
You have INg because of the Be-ing.
Sentence 1 I would say no 'in' because 'there was no use' is followed by a gerund.
So I wouldn't use 'In' in any of those sentences!!!

Don't you know that there are many cases of using gerunds with preposition "in" before them?

-------------------
Edited by a_limon on 02-07-2012 20:25
-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 02-07-2012 21:27
Well, not here anyway! don't be so disdainful please.

Re: Preposition / gerund from lucile83, posted on 02-07-2012 at 21:25:08 (D | E)
Hello,

1)It was no use going there so early. ok

2)It was no hedgehog going across the street. (going is the participle here,so,no preposition here) There

3)It was trouble going across that street. I/she/he etc had

4)There was trouble going across that street. see 3

The only right sentence is number 1.

Re: Preposition / gerund from a_limon, posted on 03-07-2012 at 00:19:58 (D | E)
Hello,
Lucile I/she/he etc had trouble going across that street.

There was trouble going across that street. see 3

You mean that the expression "It (there) was trouble" doesn't exist at all?
I see the expressions with the preposition "in" "he didn't have any trouble IN finding the book". Why doesn't one write "in" in the sentence "he had trouble in going across that street."

Re: Preposition / gerund from lucile83, posted on 03-07-2012 at 09:08:58 (D | E)
Hello a_limon

Why doesn't one write "in" in the sentence "he had trouble in going across that street.

...because we use to have trouble + v-ing
to have ~ doing
He was having trouble getting the key in the door.
I have trouble remembering passwords.
Link

Link

Would you be kind enough to check in a dictionary before asking such questions? ..thank you.

Re: Preposition / gerund from a_limon, posted on 07-07-2012 at 18:14:15 (D | E)
Hello,
Lucile,I had checked in the dictionary and seen the phrase "I had some trouble in reading his handwriting". Could you tell me please if it is mistake of using "in"? Link

Could you tell me also please where is my mistake if I think that the sentences on the link you gave me could be written in other way. I wrote my sentences in blue 1)The trouble with you is that you don't listen. Your unlistening me is the trouble with you.
2) The trouble is there are too many people and not enough places. Too many people and not enough places is the trouble.
3)But no one ever remembers -that's the trouble. No one's remembering is the trouble (for me).
4) You never think, that's your trouble. Your unthinking is your trouble. )
5)It was trouble going across that street. I/she/he etc had. There was trouble going across that street. Going across that street was the trouble for everybody. (that street has too intensive traffic without the traffic light)

-------------------

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux