Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Pronunciation/song (1)

Cours gratuits > Forum > English only || Bottom

This topic is now closed. You can't post a new reply.

Pronunciation/song
Message from a_limon posted on 07-07-2012 at 19:02:40
Hello!
Could you tell me if I'm right if I hear the pronunciation of the following words by Jackson not as they are written in transcription, but the other way.
belittling me [bilu:tling>(Like the [u:] in the clueI mean not [bi'litling)
Just- he says"u" not the way as in the word "must",but in the word "clue"
Thank you in advance. Link

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 09-07-2012 18:27
Nonsense.

Re: Pronunciation/song by sherry48, posted on 07-07-2012 at 19:19:17
Hello.
His pronunciation of that word is difficult to understand.
If you were asking what the word was, I would have to look up the lyrics to be able to tell you!
Sherry

Re: Pronunciation/song by a_limon, posted on 07-07-2012 at 19:35:14
Hello,
sherry, your answer is the answer of the native English speaker?

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 07-07-2012 20:33

Re: Pronunciation/song by lucile83, posted on 07-07-2012 at 20:36:25
Hello a_limon,

I suppose it is the answer of a person who knows you should stop trying to learn English by listening to songs.

Re: Pronunciation/song by a_limon, posted on 07-07-2012 at 20:52:21
Hello,
It is no use trying to talk me out of listening MJ's songs. But when I listen to them, I try to understand whatever was there he says: sense, pronunciation or utterance.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 08-07-2012 08:13

Re: Pronunciation/song by sherry48, posted on 08-07-2012 at 22:34:43
Hello.
Yes, I'm a native speaker, and I sometimes have difficulty understanding words in songs. Songs frequently use words differently than one would in writing or conversation, in order to fit the music, or make it rhyme. In addition, the artist may use a dialect or slang. For these reasons, it can be difficult for a person who isn't fluent to understand. I think that's why Lucile considers it to be an ineffective way to learn English. Sherry

Re: Pronunciation/song by lucile83, posted on 08-07-2012 at 22:51:00
Hello,

You are right sherry. I consider it to be a good way to learn mistakes.

Re: Pronunciation/song by a_limon, posted on 09-07-2012 at 00:23:18
Hello,
Of course, MJ might have used some dialect,for example, dialect of Cockney..
But what I just wanted to know is only pronunciation. Even if it is wrong..
I would like to know whether I'm right if I hear the sound [u:]instead of [i] in the "belittling" and [u:]in the "just".
( not the sound from the word "must")

Re: Pronunciation/song by lucile83, posted on 09-07-2012 at 08:04:50
Hello a_limon

the sound [u:]instead of [i] in the "belittling" and [u:]in the "just".
Maybe you hear that,I don't know but anyway it's wrong.
Please check in a dictionary.
Link

Link

Re: Pronunciation/song by a_limon, posted on 09-07-2012 at 15:45:53
Hello!
Lucile,I know that is wrong. I know that uttering [u;] in these words is wrong. I just wanted to know whether someone hears it (the sound of [u:])too like me. I try to get whether it is ok with my perception by ear. I hope you understand me.

Re: Pronunciation/song by lucile83, posted on 09-07-2012 at 15:55:52
Hello a_limon

Well...sorry but you'd better see a doctor then

Re: Pronunciation/song by a_limon, posted on 09-07-2012 at 16:41:17
Maybe, my saying "perception by ear" is not appropriate for this case ...I don't know how to say it correctly to avoid your mockery. I have no problems to differentiate other words in this song. But if you don't want to answer this my simple question it is your right.

Re: Pronunciation/song by lucile83, posted on 09-07-2012 at 18:23:41
Well, I don't understand what you say in English then!

Or maybe, who on earth is able to hear what you hear? it's just silly!