Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Realize vs realise/help

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Realize vs realise/help
Message from angrepa posted on 18-04-2014 at 16:37:23 (D | E | F)
Hello!
First of all I wish you a Happy Easter!
In exercise 103970 in Sara´s reply the verbs realize and organize are written with "z". I conjugated them with "z" but it was not accepted, the correction was with the "s". I don´t understand why, because they were written with "z".
I would appreciate any answer.
Best regards.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 18-04-2014 17:11

Re: Realize vs realise/help from lucile83, posted on 18-04-2014 at 17:11:34 (D | E)
Hello,

There was a confusion in the test between organize/realize and organise/realise . It has been fixed.
You have a button at the end of the correction to report an error

Re: Realize vs realise/help from notrepere, posted on 18-04-2014 at 22:10:40 (D | E)
Hello
Interestingly, as an aside, there seems to be a move to standardize some of these spellings. Although the -ise entries can be found in Oxford/Cambridge/Macmillan online, the actual definitions are found under the -ize form. I think this is a good move, in general, since it often becomes a divisive means of differentiating the two Englishes. Thankfully, British English will always have its place in its idiomatic expressions and slight variations in use of some tenses, but these spelling variations really serve no purpose at all.

Re: Realize vs realise/help from lucile83, posted on 18-04-2014 at 22:30:09 (D | E)
Hello dear

Link

Realise and realize are different spellings of the same word, and both are used to varying degrees throughout the English-speaking world. Realize is the preferred spelling in American and Canadian English, and realise is preferred outside North America. The spelling distinction extends to all derivatives of the verb, including realised/realized, realising/realizing, and realisation/realization.
Perhaps no one will care about that in a few years
Anyway I like those differences between BE and AE and to learn them

Re: Realize vs realise/help from notrepere, posted on 18-04-2014 at 23:50:29 (D | E)
Hello Lucile
Yes, I'm sure that it won't affect usage that much, I just thought it was an interesting thing to note. However, I was recently told that one shouldn't rely on the dictionary to tell you anything correct about English grammar and whether something should be heard or not heard in English.

Re: Realize vs realise/help from lucile83, posted on 19-04-2014 at 08:52:33 (D | E)
Hello dear,

How can we not rely on dictionaries if we want to use correct English?
It is obvious however that we can hear silly things when talking to people ... in any language!

Re: Realize vs realise/help from lemagemasque, posted on 19-04-2014 at 13:06:49 (D | E)
Hello!

"Realise" and "realize" both exist in though "realise" is .
"Realize" is getting more and more common in . Some prefer to say "realize" and I am one of them - though I'm not really British.
I would also like to point out something: "realize" is not !!

See you and happy Easter!

-------------------
Edited by lemagemasque on 19-04-2014 13:08
It is correct to say that you can't rely on dictionaries since there is a difference between what they tell you and what you'll be told!

Re: Realize vs realise/help from lucile83, posted on 19-04-2014 at 18:21:32 (D | E)
Hello lemagemasque,

Did you read one of my previous messages?
Realize is the preferred spelling in American and Canadian English, and realise is preferred outside North America.
That was written on a grammar site, not a dictionary! is it rubbish too?

Anyway it is a grammarians' battle such as those we are having in France. Read more below.
Link

Oxford spelling is the official or de facto spelling standard used in style guides of the international organizations that belong to the United Nations System.[6][7] For example, this includes the World Health Organization, the International Telecommunication Union, the International Labour Organization and UNESCO. UN treaties and declarations, such as the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Other international organizations that adhere to this standard include the International Organization for Standardization (ISO),[7] the World Trade Organization (WTO),[7] the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO),[7] the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA),[7] the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC),[7] Interpol,[7] the International Committee of the Red Cross,[7] the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF),[7] Amnesty International,[7] and the World Economic Forum.[7]

Oxford spelling is also used in a number of academic publications. For example, the London-based scientific journal Nature uses it.

However, Oxford spelling is not necessarily followed by the staff of the University of Oxford. In 2011, 2012, and 2013, the university website has recommended the use of "s" rather than "z" spellings for its public relations material.[8][9]

Several major newspapers and magazines in the UK use -ise rather than the Oxford-style -ize spellings. The Times had been using -ize until the early 1990s, when it decided to switch to the -ise spelling,[10] although The Times Literary Supplement has continued to use Oxford spelling.

Re: Realize vs realise/help from notrepere, posted on 19-04-2014 at 19:13:08 (D | E)
Hello Lucile
That is a very interesting article about the history and use of -ise/-ize, especially that the "...belief that -ize is an exclusively American variant is incorrect" and that -ize corresponds more closely to the Greek root than -ise. In practice, I think some people deliberately use the -ise spelling to indicate that they favor BrE. Recall that it was the British who brought English to America. It's only because the two languages evolved differently over time that we have these variations. I personally think American English is grammatically richer, but I might be biased.
A++

Re: Realize vs realise/help from lemagemasque, posted on 19-04-2014 at 19:34:33 (D | E)
Hello lucile and notrepere!

Your answers are really interesting!
is closer to French, isn't it?
xxx
See you!

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 19-04-2014 20:33
No French on the English Only forum...

Re: Realize vs realise/help from notrepere, posted on 19-04-2014 at 19:53:05 (D | E)
Hello lemagemasque

In the case of these -ise spelling, BrE is closer to French. But my experience has been that French sentences and expressions translate more directly into AmE than BrE. In other words, we other have an equivalent expression that matches (often) word for word the French version.

Re: Realize vs realise/help from traviskidd, posted on 20-04-2014 at 00:12:52 (D | E)
Hello.

A Canadian once told me he didn't know whether to spell "organize" with an S or a "zed". I told him "Neither, it's spelled with a 'zee'."
And to notrepere's point, it should be noted that the only Canadian province that doesn't put a U in "favo(u)rite" is ... Quebec!
See you.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux