Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Difference / to and for

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Difference / to and for
Message from diyar20abubakir posted on 29-12-2014 at 18:55:50 (D | E | F)
Hello
May Could you help me please?
I do not know what the difference between to and for is, neither how to use them correctly in sentences.
Thanks for any reply.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 29-12-2014 19:08

Re: Difference / to and for from violet91, posted on 29-12-2014 at 19:26:55 (D | E)
Hello ,

Do you mean the difference between - let's say - going to a place ( 'to' expresses movement towards ..) and - I am working for you this minute .
I am speaking to you ( my word goes to your ears ) # I am speaking for you ( in your place or for your benefit) .
I bought this present for ( dedicated to ) your sister .
Or are you thinking of expressing a purpose = in order to ?
You are studying English for your work to exchange in this language and to make yourself understood nearly everywhere in the world .
'For being able 'to go abroad and be understood easily should be turned into - to be able to ..( in the infinitive)

Is that clear enough as a first try ?

Re: Difference / to and for from gerondif, posted on 29-12-2014 at 23:21:34 (D | E)
Hello,
Here are a few other hints:

There are three "for" and one "to"
1) You give something to somebody: This cake is for you. That present is for my sister
Question: Who is this present for ?

2) You express a CAUSE: He was arrested for speeding. He was sentenced for murder./He was sentenced to twenty years for murdering his wife.
Question: What was he arrested for ? What was he sentenced for ?

3) The most dangerous one in my opinion. You express aim, purpose, intention.
I come here to work, not to play !I come here in order to work.
Question: What do you come here for ? To work or to play ?

Make a difference between "Why" (expressing a cause) and "What ... for" (expressing a purpose).
For instance, in this example:
I came to help you because you phoned me!
"What did you come here for ? "
"To help you!"
But I haven't started yet, I am still at the door! The purpose (to give some help) will follow the action of coming.
"Why did you come ?"
"Because you phoned me!"
The cause precedes my action of coming.

Finally , an old favourite of mine!
I will come /from two to two/ to two past two/ to help you two to work too !

Re: Difference / to and for from diyar20abubakir, posted on 30-12-2014 at 19:25:57 (D | E)
Thanks for you to help me.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux