Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Adverb / preposition

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Adverb / preposition
Message from khaiminh posted on 12-01-2015 at 01:29:56 (D | E | F)
Hello,
Would you explain me if any adverb may be followed by prepositions plus noun phrases? In the example
" The hotel is situated high above the bay", is "the prepositional phrase--above the bay--a modifier of the adverb "high" or on the contrary the adverb "high" modifies the prepositional phrase "above the bay"?
As for me I think the only verb, adjective and noun are followed by preposition plus noun phrases.
Thank you very much.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 12-01-2015 09:36

Re: Adverb / preposition from gerondif, posted on 12-01-2015 at 15:14:24 (D | E)
Hello,
an adjective modifies a noun: My new car is fast.
an adverb modifies:
a verb: he speaks slowly
an adjective; he is very slow
another adverb: He speaks very slowly.

If I say: move "slightly to the right", slightly modifies "to the right"

After all, it depends on what you want to say.
He moved carelessly out of the room. carelessely modifies moved.
He moved a little to the left: for me a little qualifies to the left.

In your example:
The hotel is situated high above the bay" high is not an adverb but an adjective.(He thinks highly of you: adverb)
The plane was slow. adjective attributed to "the plane" by the verb to be.
It flew slowly above the bay: adverb, modifying flew.

Don't hesitate to answer the messages we send you. I see that my message on the gerund (dec 16th) was never answered, which is frustrating for the people who spend a little time helping you because we never know if you even read the answer and it then gives us the impression we write for nothing.

Re: Adverb / preposition from khaiminh, posted on 17-01-2015 at 12:10:41 (D | E)
Thank you for your replying my question about the use of preposition after adverb.
You know the example written in my last message was found in the Longman dictionary.
The word "high" is said an adverb, and then the following is "high above/on".You know the adjective "different" requires the preposition " from" and the following is " a prepositional phrase used as adverb, while the adverb " high" in connection with the preposition "above/on" as in the dictionary, so it's important that one needs to distinguish these cases.
Any way, thank you very much.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 17-01-2015 16:56

Re: Adverb / preposition from here4u, posted on 17-01-2015 at 18:43:51 (D | E)
Hello ...
High is an adjective, but it may also be an adverb (at a high level) ,which (gerondif) is quite frustrating as an adverb is never supposed to modify a noun!
Yet, it's not really acting like 'fast', is it? ...

Re: Adverb / preposition from gerondif, posted on 18-01-2015 at 12:52:27 (D | E)
Hello,
ah yes, high is an adverb when you say: the plane if flying high in the sky.
For me, after a state verb, I find it hard to see high as an adverb:
I am high, I feel high,......
The plane is high in the sky....

Re: Adverb / preposition from here4u, posted on 18-01-2015 at 13:46:45 (D | E)
Hello !
I couldn't agree with you more ...

Re: Adverb / preposition from andreasgreece, posted on 20-01-2015 at 17:15:07 (D | E)
HELLO!GENERALLY THE WORD HIGH CAN BE USED AS BOTH AN ADVERB AND AN ADJECTIVE AND IT HAS MULTIEBLE MEANINGS.FOR INSTANCE:
JOHN IS VERY HIGH or THE PLANE FLIGHTS HIGH IN THE SKY. YOU CAN ALWAYS SEARCH THE WEB FOR MORE INFO!!!!

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux