Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Correct /Kind

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Correct /Kind
Message from lukaznachi posted on 13-03-2015 at 14:11:50 (D | E | F)
Hello.
Is this a correct sentence? If yes, then why?
''Your kind aren't mature enough to speak openly over the Internet.''
Thanks in advance.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 13-03-2015 14:55

Re: Correct /Kind from lucile83, posted on 13-03-2015 at 14:57:08 (D | E)
Hello,
There must be a typo and I would say:
Your kids aren't....
See you

Re: Correct /Kind from carlabice47, posted on 13-03-2015 at 15:13:51 (D | E)
Hello, my dear.
In my opinion your kind infers the idea of your kind of people, people of your kind, this way the plural verb can be explained .

People of your kind are hard to please. If you omit people the meaning is clear.

Thanks thanks thanks

Re: Correct /Kind from lukaznachi, posted on 13-03-2015 at 16:19:30 (D | E)
Hello lucile83.
It's 100% not a typo. It's just the matter of grammar. The guy who wrote that CLAIMS that he has mastered English on a prestige university, so I thought that I might have missed something while I was learning that part of grammar. Thank you for your reply.

Hello carlabice47.
In this case, ''kind'' refers to ''kids'' as in this quote:
''In my opinion, you kids shouldn't have the ability to openly broadcast yourselves over the Internet until you are 18. Your kind aren't mature enough to speak openly over the Internet.''
I think that there's no way that the blue part can be correct judging by what's written in the sentence (skipped words and typos are not included).
Thank you for your reply.

Re: Correct /Kind from gerondif, posted on 13-03-2015 at 17:47:26 (D | E)
Hello,
some words are singular when taken as a group and plural when taken as individuals:
The team is playing well.
The team are having a shower.
A man is helping the police with their investigation.

I also understand this sentence as a kind of reproach or insult:
Your kind aren't mature enough to speak openly over the Internet.''
You lot aren't aren't mature enough to speak openly over the Internet.''
You people aren't mature enough to speak openly over the Internet.''
The kind of people you are aren't mature enough to speak openly over the Internet.''

I would say that the man talking so is looking for trouble, starting an argument, looking for a "knuckle butty" as a Cockney would say.

Re: Correct /Kind from lukaznachi, posted on 13-03-2015 at 18:01:08 (D | E)
Hello, gerondif.
I know that some words are singular when taken as a group and plural when taken as individuals. But is ''kind'' among them?

And yes, he was starting an argument. Actually, he started it a long time ago. I have been arguing with him for a while, but I don't take it seriously nor personally. I'm never serious when arguing over the Internet.
Thank you so much for your help. You have helped me several times so far, I really appreciate it.

Re: Correct /Kind from lucile83, posted on 13-03-2015 at 18:54:44 (D | E)
Hello,
It is better with a context ...

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux