Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Could / Was able to/// (1)

Cours gratuits > Forum > English only || Bottom

This topic is now closed. You can't post a new reply.

Could / Was able to///
Message from acbh posted on 27-03-2015 at 00:40:35
Hello,

Could vs was able to
This point is difficult to teach. It is difficult to find strict rules.
The rule used is could can be used for past ability when referring to general time and to use was able to for a specific time.
But in the test on the link below (this site) question 10 "We couldn't catch the 7.30 train" uses could for a specific time. Can you help me why this is?
Link

Thank you for any reply.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 27-03-2015 07:54

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 28-03-2015 12:03
This member is no longer on the site.

Re: Could / Was able to/// by lucile83, posted on 27-03-2015 at 15:30:36
Hello,
In that test the 7.30 train is not a specific time. It is just a schedule, and the sentence is in the negative form.
See the links below:
Link

Link

Hope it helps.

Re: Could / Was able to/// by carlabice47, posted on 28-03-2015 at 09:01:19
Hello,
"could "> refers to a past ability, while "was/were able to " refers to a "single successful achievement", but this only in affirmative sentences.
In negative sentences the rule is not followed . You can use both "couldn't" or " wasn't/weren't able to"
At five, I could already speak two foreign languages
She was able to make herself understood even if she did not know Chinese.
After long efforts they were able to break the door open
I couldn't get in as I did not have a permit
I wasn't able ( couldn't) to explain myself
Hope this is useful,
Bye bye

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 28-03-2015 09:15