Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Prepositions/ to-from

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Prepositions/ to-from
Message from praveen101 posted on 23-02-2017 at 09:01:59 (D | E | F)
Hello,
Can you help me please?
Regarding this sentence- 'I want to ask you a question.'
Instead, which one of the following is grammatically correct?
A) I want to ask a question to you?
B) I want to ask a question from you?
Thanks for any reply.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 23-02-2017 13:02

Re: Prepositions/ to-from from gerondif, posted on 23-02-2017 at 11:08:32 (D | E)
Hello
A is correct.
You speak, write, send a letter to somebody.
You ask a question to somebody but you ask a favour from somebody.

Re: Prepositions/ to-from from jashon, posted on 23-02-2017 at 11:47:33 (D | E)
Hello,
I think A is correct.
Ask question to somebody.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 23-02-2017 13:03

Re: Prepositions/ to-from from razzor, posted on 23-02-2017 at 22:08:34 (D | E)
Good evening,
As a native English speaker myself, "I want to ask a question to you" does not sound natural.
I would say more spontaneously "I want to ask you a question".

Re: Prepositions/ to-from from jonquille, posted on 23-02-2017 at 22:27:36 (D | E)
Hello!
As another native English speaker, I have to agree with razzor.
I want to ask a question to you? is more of a translation from French.

In English, we don't need the preposition "to."
>I ask you a question.
>She wants to ask him a question.
>We asked them a question, but they didn't answer us.
>They are going to keep asking me questions, until I finally give them an answer!
Hope this helps!
jonquille

Re: Prepositions/ to-from from lucile83, posted on 24-02-2017 at 07:44:43 (D | E)
Hello,
It is said in this topic that 'I want to ask a question to you' is correct. That's true.
Razzor and jonquille are right as well to note that it is much less common than 'I want to ask you a question',which is more natural.

Re: Prepositions/ to-from from praveen101, posted on 24-02-2017 at 11:22:22 (D | E)
Thank you all for the beautiful explanation.

Re: Prepositions/ to-from from dimbiniainadimb, posted on 01-03-2017 at 07:19:08 (D | E)
Yes for sure A is right, if we have to choose between them. But I agree with Razzor and Jonquille

Re: Prepositions/ to-from from zilazila, posted on 06-03-2017 at 07:22:31 (D | E)
Hello,
I see that all native speakers, say, " 'I want to ask you a question.'
But, 'I want to ask a question to you', is correct also.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 06-03-2017 07:25

Re: Prepositions/ to-from from phil512, posted on 06-03-2017 at 11:12:12 (D | E)
Hello,
+1 in favour of the short version without "to", certainly much more usual in spoken English.
Let me also refer to the Cambridge Dictionary :
Link
where you will read this : "May I ask you a question about your last job?
Altough they use "may" instead of "want to" (in no way the heart of the matter here), we do have another serious confirmation here, for the ones who would still have a doubt.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux