Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Perdu dans le temps /Thème

Cours gratuits > Forum > Exercices du forum || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Page 1 / 2 - Voir la page 1 | 2 | Fin | >>
Perdu dans le temps /Thème
Message de notrepere posté le 28-07-2013 à 06:08:33 (S | E | F)
Hello

It's almost August and all of France is about to go on vacation except us! Here is a little translation exercise to keep your neurons functioning during the summer.

Perdu dans le temps par Alain Lefebvre
Niveau :
Correction: 1 septembre

J'écris ces pages pour pouvoir raconter enfin mon histoire. J'ai essayé d'en parler à mes proches, à mes amis, à ceux que je rencontrais au gré de mon aventure incroyable mais cela s'est trop souvent terminé de la même façon : mes interlocuteurs me prenaient pour un fou ou pensaient que je me moquais d'eux. Peu nombreux sont ceux qui m'ont écouté jusqu'au bout.

Au moins, sur le papier, peut-être s'en trouvera-t-il pour me lire jusqu'au bout et comprendre ce que j'ai vécu. Car, franchement, cela vaut vraiment la peine d'être conté, c'est même tellement époustouflant que j'ai moi-même de la peine à réaliser tout à fait. Mais, maintenant que j'ai réussi à m'en sortir et à retrouver une vie "normale", je ne peux me résoudre à oublier et à enterrer ces événements et ce que j'y ai découvert.

Alors, voilà, je me lance : mon nom est Vincent Tria. Au moment où commence cette aventure, j'ai presque 30 ans et je m'ennuie.

Réponse: Perdu dans le temps /Thème de lucile83, postée le 28-07-2013 à 08:33:00 (S | E)
dear!

Excellente idée! et j'espère que j'aurai le temps de traduire d'ici le 1er septembre

Réponse: Perdu dans le temps /Thème de hortensia, postée le 28-07-2013 à 09:16:30 (S | E)
Thank you very much, notrepere, for this intriguing story! Here is my try:

I am writing these lines so that I can, at last, tell my story. I have tried to talk to my family, my friends, or to the people I met in the course of my incredible adventure, but, too often, it ended up in the same way: they either thought I was crazy or that I was kidding them. Not many of them would hear me out.

Perhaps if I write my story, some people may read me out and understand what I have gone through. Frankly, I think this is worth telling; it is so flabbergasting that I can hardly believe it myself. However, now that I have managed to get out of it and be back to a “normal life”, I somehow cannot resign myself to forgetting and burying these events, and what I have found out.

So here we go: My name is Vincent Tria. It all started when I was 30 and getting bored.

Réponse: Perdu dans le temps /Thème de lakata, postée le 28-07-2013 à 09:30:45 (S | E)

Great idea indeed! Thank you dear notrepere.

P.S. Maybe will you have to postpone the correction until a later date, won't you ?

Réponse: Perdu dans le temps /Thème de aneth-estragon, postée le 28-07-2013 à 12:52:18 (S | E)
Hello  

Lost in time

I'm writing these pages in order to finally tell my story. I tried talking to my family and friends, and those I encountered during my incredible adventure, but too often, that ended up the same way: my listeners took me for a madman or thought I was mocking them. Few were those who heard me out.

At least, if I write it down on paper, hopefully there will be some to read it through and understand what I've gone through. For, frankly, it's something worth recounting, so astounding that even I can hardly take it in. Yet, now that I've managed to pull through and rediscover a 'normal life', I can't bring myself to just forget and bury those events and what I found out.

Consequently, here I start. My name is Vincent Tria. At the time the adventure began, I was nearly 30 and I was bored.

My personal challenge: to use as many phrasal verbs as possible containing 'through'. I did well, didn't I?

Many thanks

Réponse: Perdu dans le temps /Thème de dolfine56, postée le 28-07-2013 à 16:50:41 (S | E)
Hello,
thanks a lot, notrepere,here is my try.

Lost in time.
I'm writing these lignes in order to be able to tell my own story,at last!I tried to speak about that to my close relatives, my friends,and those I met at the merci of my incredible adventure,but it ended up in the same way too often: my interlocutor looked at me as a mad man or thought I was laughing at them.Only a few of them listened at me to the end.
At least,if I write it,perhaps some of them will read my essay until the end and understand what I have been through.For,honestly,it's worth being told,it's so mind-blowing that I can't absolutely realise.
But now I succeded in getting through and finding a"normal" way of life again,I can't come down to forget and to bury those events and what I have found out.

so,I throw myself: my name is Vincent Tria.When that adventure is starting,I am nearly thirty years old, and I'm bored to death.

Réponse: Perdu dans le temps /Thème de lucile83, postée le 28-07-2013 à 17:36:17 (S | E)
Hello dear

Just in case the date would be August 1st instead of September 1st...
Here is my try; thank you

Lost in time
I am writing these few lines so that I can tell my story, at last. I tried to talk about it to my family, my friends, people I came across over the course of my incredible adventure, but, too often, it ended up in the same way: those people would think I was mad or think I was kidding them. Few of them did listen to me right to the end.
At least, on paper, there may be some people who will read my whole story and understand what I experienced. For, honestly, this is worth narrating, and it is even so mind-blowing that I do have some difficulty believing the whole of it. But, now that I have managed to get out of it and back to ‘normal’ life, I can’t resolve to forget and set aside those events and what I discovered.
Then,here I am, let us start: my name is Vincent Tria. When that adventure started, I was nearly 30 and bored.

Réponse: Perdu dans le temps /Thème de ng, postée le 28-07-2013 à 17:44:00 (S | E)
Thanks a lot dear notrepere. Here is my try.

I'm writing these pages to tell my story at last. I tried to talk about it to my family, my friends, those I met in the course of my amazing adventure but, too often, this ended in the same way: the people I was talking to thought I was crazy or I was making fun of them. Few are those who listened to me until the end.
At least, on the paper, perhaps there will be some people to read me to the end and understand what I experienced. Because, frankly, it's worth to be related, this is even so incredible that I find it myself difficult to completely realize. But, now that I managed to get away of it and come back to a "normal" life, I can't bring myself to forget and bury these events and what I found out.
So, let's go: my name is Vincent Tria. At the beginning of that adventure I'm nearly 30 and I'm bored.

Réponse: Perdu dans le temps /Thème de notrepere, postée le 28-07-2013 à 20:20:28 (S | E)
Hello

I think I should have made the text longer. This was too easy for you.

Réponse: Perdu dans le temps /Thème de mamou3, postée le 29-07-2013 à 05:31:52 (S | E)
Hello notrepere,

Mes neurones te disent MERCI for this story
I tried like this :

Lost in time

I'm writing these pages to can finally tell my story. I tried to talk about it to my close relations, my friends, those who I met over the course of my incredible adventure but too often it ended in the same way : my interlocutors took me for a madman or thought I made fun of them.
Few are people who listened to me until the end.
At least, on paper, perhaps someone would be there to read from me until the end and understand what I lived.
Because, honestly, it really worst the trouble to be narrated, it's exactly so mind-blowing that I myself have difficult to realize absolutly.
But, now, I was able to get through and find again a ususal life, I can't resolve to forget and bury those events and what I discovered.
So, that's why I throw myself : my name is Vincent Tria. At the moment when this adventure began I was nearly
30 and I bored.

Thank you again for this exercise

Réponse: Perdu dans le temps /Thème de lakata, postée le 30-07-2013 à 18:14:11 (S | E)
Hello dear notrepere!

After the hero, it's my turn to take the plunge!

Lost on the track of time.

I am writing these lines to be finally able to tell what happened to me. I tried to speak about it to my close relatives, to my friends, to those I came across over the course of my unbelievable adventure, but it ended up too often the same way : those people considered me to be crazy/mad or thought I was pulling their legs. Only a few heared me out.

At least, on paper, there might be somebody to read everything I wrote and understand what I went through. Because it is definitely worth being told and even so amazing that I,myself, find it myself hard to fully realize. But now that I have managed to come out of all this and to be back to a "normal" life, I can't reconcile/resign myself to forgetting and burying these events along with what they allowed me to discover.

So, I'll take the plunge : my name is Vincent Tria. When this adventure began, I was nearly 30 and I was getting bored.

-------------------
Modifié par lakata le 02-09-2013 09:17
Thank you dear notrepere!

Réponse: Perdu dans le temps /Thème de ariane6, postée le 01-08-2013 à 23:57:25 (S | E)
Hello NP !
Lost in time
I am writing these pages so at last I can tell my story. I have tried to talk about it to my family, to my friends and to those I met on my incredible adventure but all too often it ended the same way. Either the people I spoke to thought I was mad or pulling their legs. There were only a few who kept listening to the end.
At least, if I write it down, perhaps some people will keep reading to the end and understand what I have been through. My story is definitely worth being told and is so mind-blowing, I find it difficult to take in everything myself.
But now I have managed to get away and return to a "normal" life, I can't make my mind up about forgetting and burying these events with everything I discovered then.
So, here goes: my name is Vincent Tria. At the time this adventure begins, I was almost 30 years old and bored.

Thank you !

Réponse: Perdu dans le temps /Thème de moony59, postée le 05-08-2013 à 20:23:44 (S | E)
Bonjour,
merci pour cet exercice.

I'm writing these pages to tell my story at last. I've tried to talk to my relatives, to my friends, to all that I met during my amazing adventure but that has too often been over the same way : my listenners thought I was insane or that I was poking of them. Few were those who lisnened to me to the end.

At least, on the paper, some of them will read me to the end and understand what i lived. because, frankly, that is worth to be told, it is even so incredible that I can't really realise. But now, I succeeded to forget this story and get back a "normal" life, I can forget and bury all these events and what I've found out.

So here it is, I dare : My name's Vincent Tria. When this story begins, I'm nearly 30 and I get bored.

Réponse: Perdu dans le temps /Thème de gerard58, postée le 05-08-2013 à 23:55:31 (S | E)
Hello,

I am writing these lines in order to said, at last, my own story. I tried to talk and explain it to my family, my friends or to people that I met in the course of my unbelievable adventure. But the most of time, it ended up the same way :the people believed either I was insane or I was cheating them.A few ones listened to me until the end of my story.

At least as I write it down, perhaps some of them would end to read it and inderstand what I experienced. Because, honestly, it worth to be said. That's so mind-blowing that I feel by myself it's difficult to be understood by other people.

But now I succed to be trough and back to a normal way of living, I can't resolve to forget and bury these events that perhaps I found out.

So let's go : my name is Vincent Tria. When this story starts i was nearly 30 and I was getting bored.

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 06-08-2013 07:41

Réponse: Perdu dans le temps /Thème de komiks, postée le 08-08-2013 à 08:08:36 (S | E)
Hello notrepere,
Thanks for this new translation exercise. It makes me improve my English skills
Here's my try. Hope I haven't made too many mistakes ...

I am writing these pages in order to be able to finally tell my story. I tried to tell it to my family, to my friends, to the people I met over the course of my incredible adventure but it too often finished the same way : those people thought I was crazy or I was laughing at them. Not many people listened to me until the end of my story.
At least, on paper, some people might read it until the end and understand what I lived. Because, honestly, it is worth being told, it’s even so mind-blowing that I am hardly be able to realize it. But, now I managed to get out of it and get a “normal” life back, I can’t forget and bury those events and what I discovered.
So, here we are, I’m going to start : my name is Vincent Tria. When this adventure began, I was nearly 30 and I’m bored.

Réponse: Perdu dans le temps /Thème de bibi62, postée le 12-08-2013 à 12:32:50 (S | E)
D'abord,un tout grand merci pour cet exercice.

Lost in time.
I'm writing these pages to finally tell my story.
I tried to tell my relatives,my friends,those I met over the course of my incredible adventure but it ended too often in the same way:my interlocutors took me for a fool or thought I laughed at them.Only a few of them listened to me throughout.
At least ,on the paper,may be someone may read me until the end and understand what I lived.Because,honestly,it really worth the trouble to be told,it's itself so mind-blowing that I make an effort myself to realize absolutely.
But,now that I've managed to cope myself and to find a normal life again,I can't decide to forget and bury those events and what I discovered.
So,there is,I take up:my name is Vincent Tria.As this adventure begins,I'm nearly 30 and I get bored.

Réponse: Perdu dans le temps /Thème de lemagemasque, postée le 12-08-2013 à 15:31:57 (S | E)
Hello!

Lost in time

I am writing these pages so I can tell you my story, at last. I tried to talk about it with my closest relatives, with my friends, with those I met throughout my incredible adventure but that has too often ended up in the same way: my interlocutors thought I was mad or thought I was making fun of them. Not many listened to me to the end.

At least, on a sheet of paper, maybe there will be someone who will read my adventure to the end and understand what I have lived. For it's worth its telling actually; it's even so dazzling that I myself can quite hardly realize. But, now I have succeeded in getting out of it and recovered a "normal" life, I can't find myself in forgetting it and burying those events and what I have discovered therein.

So, here it is, I take the plunge: my name is Vincent Tria. When this adventure begins, I am nearly 30 and I am feeling bored.

J'ai modifié pas mal de "trucs" du texte d'origine mais je suis plutôt fier de moi !
Merci notrepere pour le texte, sinon !
See you!

-------------------
Modifié par lemagemasque le 13-08-2013 18:11

Réponse: Perdu dans le temps /Thème de moka81, postée le 28-08-2013 à 01:35:08 (S | E)
Hello, merci pour le creuse-méninge et voici ma proposition.

Lost in time.

I'm writing these lines to be able to tell you my story, at last. I tried to talk about it to my family, to my friends, to those I met in the course of my incredible adventure but, too often, it ended in the same way : they thought either I was crazy or I was making fun of them. Few of them listened to me to the end.
At least, if I write down my story, some of them may read me out and understand what I went through. Because, honestly, it's worth to be told. It's even so amazing that I find it myself difficult to believe it.
But, as I have now managed to get through it and to come back to " normal" life, I can't make up my mind to forget and to bury these events and what I found out.
Therefore, let me go : My name is Vincent Tria. At the begining of that adventure, I am nearly 30 and I am bored.

A bientôt pour la correction

Réponse: Perdu dans le temps /Thème de notrepere, postée le 01-09-2013 à 20:33:48 (S | E)
Hello everyone

I'm having a problem with my internet connection. My correction will be delayed by 1 or 2 days. See you soon.

Réponse: Perdu dans le temps /Thème de lucile83, postée le 01-09-2013 à 20:49:07 (S | E)
Never mind dear np! hope your connection will come back

Réponse: Perdu dans le temps /Thème de sbgs, postée le 01-09-2013 à 21:39:31 (S | E)
Oh, I see I still have time! ( j'espère )

I'm writing these lines to finally get the chance to tell my story. I've tried to talk about it to my closes ones, to my friends, to the people I met throughout my adventure but it didn't end the same way every time : the people I talked to thought that either I was a fool or that I was making fun of them. Rare are the people who wanted to hear me out.

At least on the paper, people might want to read and understand what I've been through. Honestly, this worths being heard, this is so mind blowing that I can barely realize. But now that I've succeeded and found a normal life, I just have to forget and burry these events and what I've found out.
So, here I am : my name is Vincent Tria. Right now, I'm almost thirty and bored.

Mmh-mmh, j'ai eu du mal quand même, j'me sens un peu rouillé là
First time I've tried.

-------------------
Modifié par sbgs le 01-09-2013 21:41

Réponse: Perdu dans le temps /Thème de notrepere, postée le 02-09-2013 à 05:10:42 (S | E)
Hello

J'arrive !!! Here is my translation:

Lost in Time

I'm writing these lines in order to finally be able to tell my story. I've tried (I tried) talking to my relatives, friends and those I met in the course of my incredible adventure but that often turned out the same way: the people I talked to took me for a fool or thought I was joking. Very few of them would listen until the end.

At the very least on paper, perhaps someone will read the entire story and understand just what I have experienced because, honestly, it's worth being told. In fact, it's so astounding that even I have had a hard time coming to terms with it. But, now that I've managed to get through it and return to a normal life, I cannot bring myself to just forget and bury these events and what I discovered there.

So, then, let me begin. My name is Vincent Tria. When this adventure began, I was almost 30 and I was bored.

Quelques remarques :

J'écris ces pages... I'm writing these lines...
Many of you picked up on the fact that in English when we talk about what we are writing at the moment, we often say: I'm writing these lines... (I'm writing a few lines, etc.) When we talk about what we've already written, we might say "I've written a few pages...". It's less common to say "I'm writing these pages..."

prendre pour un fou This translates literally into English: To take [someone] for a fool

sur le papier = on paper

s'en sortir = cope, get by, get through Lien internet

Thank you for your participation. If you would like a personal correction of your text or if you have any questions, please let me know.

NP

Réponse: Perdu dans le temps /Thème de lucile83, postée le 02-09-2013 à 07:58:36 (S | E)
glad to see you back!
Thank you for your translation

Réponse: Perdu dans le temps /Thème de lakata, postée le 02-09-2013 à 09:42:45 (S | E)
Hello dear notrepere!

When reading your previous post yesterday at night, I was about to put in for...my money back...
But this morning, I feel relieved, and not just for your computer!
So, many thanks for your translation, notrepere. See you soon!

Réponse: Perdu dans le temps /Thème de mamou3, postée le 03-09-2013 à 07:27:11 (S | E)
Hello dear notrepere,

Thanks a lot for your translation.
If I may, I have a question. I don't understand why you have used this conjugaison for this sentence : " In fact, it's so astounding that even I have had a hard time coming to terms with it."

Thank you very much.

Réponse: Perdu dans le temps /Thème de notrepere, postée le 04-09-2013 à 04:36:47 (S | E)
Hello mamou

j'ai moi-même de la peine à réaliser tout à fait.

First of all, j'ai moi-même is a very French construction. You can find "I, myself" in English, but it's not as common. As far as tenses, I chose the present perfect to emphasize length of time and his difficulty "la peine". If I had used past perfect, then we would assume that no amount of difficulty still exists. There are many ways to interpret and translate that sentence.

In fact, it's so astounding that even I have had a hard time coming to terms with it.

Compare the following, all of which are possible:

I have had a difficult time... (I may still be having a difficult time...)
I had a difficult time... (I no longer have a difficult time...)
I had had a difficult time... (I experienced a difficult time in the past...past perfect emphasizes duration)

In my own interpretation (without more context), I decided that since what he experienced was so astounding, he probably was still trying to come to terms with it/take it in/understand it all.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Réponse: Perdu dans le temps /Thème de mamou3, postée le 04-09-2013 à 06:33:58 (S | E)
Hello notrepere,

Thank you very much for your explanation !

When I read your explanation I understand better but it's very difficult for me because I have a "very French" way of thinking especially for the grammar. It's not easy for me to use another time when the simple present is used in French ! Never mind, it's to learn that I'm here.

Thanks a lot again !

Réponse: Perdu dans le temps /Thème de notrepere, postée le 04-09-2013 à 23:12:10 (S | E)
Hello again, mamou

The "narration tenses" in English, which are used when recounting a story, are all past tense. This is one difference between French and English. Sometimes French will use the present tense while we would use the past tense in English. The present tense might have been possible (I am having difficulty coming to terms with it) if it weren't for the other sentences around it. If I had not included this sentence: Mais, maintenant que j'ai réussi à m'en sortir et à retrouver une vie "normale"... then present tense might have been possible. However, this sentence tells us that what came before happened in the past and he has now returned to a "normal" life. Therefore, we cannot use present tense.

Cordialement

Réponse: Perdu dans le temps /Thème de mamou3, postée le 05-09-2013 à 07:16:51 (S | E)
Hello notrepere,

It was a good lesson. I have to remember that rule : the narration tenses are all past tenses !
Thanks a lot !

Réponse: Perdu dans le temps /Thème de lemagemasque, postée le 07-09-2013 à 16:10:53 (S | E)
Hello!

Ne serait-ce pas plutôt les "narrative tenses" ?
Merci, sinon pour cette correction !
See you!

Réponse: Perdu dans le temps /Thème de bibi62, postée le 07-09-2013 à 16:54:42 (S | E)
Hello notrepere,
Even if I'm on holiday in France,I can read your translation.
Thanks very much.
If it's possible,when you have time,could you send me a personal correction,it would be easier for me to understand my mistakes.
Thanks a lot.
bibi

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Exercices du forum
Page 1 / 2 - Voir la page 1 | 2 | Fin | >>

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux