Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Ex.14 /Varions les plaisirs

Cours gratuits > Forum > Exercices du forum || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Page 1 / 2 - Voir la page 1 | 2 | Fin | >>
Ex.14 /Varions les plaisirs
Message de here4u posté le 02-09-2014 à 11:14:27 (S | E | F)
Hello !
Here is 'Exercise 14' :
Different varieties of 'difficulties’ in this exercise !!!
Let’s say it’s a real and the correction will be posted on the 14th of September. (you may edit your works till the 12th!)

In the first four sentences, starting with the first part of the first sentence (I do insist !) you’ll have to use ‘a link word’ (mot de liaison) to make one complex sentence.

1) He’s still a convalescent. He needs a lot of rest and help !
2) We’ll hold the meeting upstairs. The room is large enough. We’ll stay downstairs ! (2 LW required to make one long meaningful sentence)
3) There are good wines in Burgundy. Their prices are very high.
4) Mrs Brown had three cats. Mr Keagan loved one of them.

5)Fill in the blanks with :many/much/few/a few/less/little :
Very well done !You’ve made ……… progress these last .... months ! Your friends didn’t and there’s not .... time left for them before the exams ! I hope you realise that very ………… employers are prepared to take unqualified school-leavers. Unless they work ....... harder in the following weeks, they won’t get...... A-levels and, believe me, ………… A-levels you get, ……… chance you have of getting a decent job ! (/8)

Translate :
6)Ce n’est pas la peine de te dépêcher. Il va te rester une heure à attendre sans rien avoir à faire !
7) Tu aurais dû faire tes courses plus tôt ! Le magasin va fermer et tu ne pourras rien manger ce soir !
8) Il n’entend pas la différence entre un ‘do’ et un ‘mi’ ! Il me casse les oreilles !
9) Il n’aurait pas dû y avoir de noyaux dans ce gâteau ! Je me suis cassé une dent !
10) On dit qu’il est l’homme le plus riche de la ville, et plus il gagne, moins je le respecte !

Good work ! and thanks for playing with me !

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 02-09-2014 15:44

Réponse: Ex.14 /Varions les plaisirs de komiks, postée le 02-09-2014 à 13:41:16 (S | E)
Hello here4u,
Voilà mon travail pour cet exercice 14. Il y aura probablement des modifications mais je voulais faire le "gros" du travail avant la rentrée demain
Merci beaucoup pour ces exercices amusants et utiles
Have a nice day

He’s still a convalescent, therefore/that’s why/so he needs a lot of rest and help!

2) We’ll hold the meeting upstairs. The room is large enough. We’ll stay downstairs !
We’ll hold the meeting upstairs if the room is large enough, otherwise we’ll stay downstairs!

a-- There are good wines in Burgundy, and as a consequence/thus their prices are very high.
b-- There are good wines in Burgendy, whose prices are very high. (is that what you're looking for ? )

Mrs Brown had three cats, but/however Mr Keagen loved one of them only.

Very well done !You’ve made much progress these last fewmonths ! Your friends didn’t and there’s not much time left for them before the exams ! I hope you realise that very few employers are prepared to take unqualified school-leavers. Unless they work much harder in the following weeks, they won’t get many A-levels and, believe me, the less A-levels you get, the little chance you have of getting a decent job ! (/8)

6) Translate :
6) Ce n’est pas la peine de te dépêcher. Il va te rester une heure à attendre sans rien avoir à faire !
It’s not worth hurrying. There will be one hour left, and you’ll have nothing to do !

7) Tu aurais dû faire tes courses plus tôt ! Le magasin va fermer et tu ne pourras rien manger ce soir !
You should have gone to the shop/done the grocery shopping earlier! The supermarket is going to close/is about to close and you’ll have nothing to eat tonight!

8) Il n’entend pas la différence entre un ‘do’ et un ‘mi’ ! Il me casse les oreilles !
He doesn’t get the difference between a ‘C’ and a ‘E’ ! It’s deafeaning!

9) Il n’aurait pas dû y avoir de noyaux dans ce gâteau ! Je me suis cassé une dent !
There shouldn’t have been any stone in that cake! One of my teeth is broken/I’ve broken one of my teeth!

10) On dit qu’il est l’homme le plus riche de la ville, et plus il gagne, moins je le respecte !
He is said to be the richest/wealthiest man of the city, and the more money he earns, the less I respect him/show him respect.

Réponse: Ex.14 /Varions les plaisirs de maxwell, postée le 02-09-2014 à 22:03:48 (S | E)
Hello dear Here4u . Thanks again for your exercises : it's always a pleasure !
Here's my first try :

1) He's still convalescent, so much so that he needs a lot of rest and help !
2) We'll hold the meeting upstairs provided the room is large enough, otherwise, we'll stay downstairs !
3) There are good wines in Burgundy whose prices are very high (, though)
4) Mrs Brown had three cats one of which was loved by Mr Keagan
5) Very well done ! You've made much progress these last few months ! Your friends didn't and there's not much time left for them before the exams ! I hope you realise that very few employers are prepared to take unqualified school-leavers. Unless they work much harder in the following weeks, they won't get many A-levels and, believe me, the less A-levels you get, the less chance you have of getting a decent job!
6) You needn't hurry. You'd have to wait (or : You'd be waiting) for an hour with nothing to do !
7) You should have done the shopping earlier ! The store is closing soon and you won't have anything to eat for dinner!
8) He can't hear the difference between "do" and "mi". It's a real pain in the ears!
9) There shouldn't have been any stones in this cake ! I've got a broken tooth !
10) He's said to be the wealthiest man in town, and the more he wins, the more I disregard him.

Réponse: Ex.14 /Varions les plaisirs de here4u, postée le 02-09-2014 à 23:58:04 (S | E)
Hello Komiks, hello maxwell !
Thank you very much for being so fast ! Always first ... and of course, the first ones to be read ...

Hello komiks ! Did you resume High School in a cool and satisfactory way ? I hope you like your new form and are ready to work like mad ! ...

Hey, guys, both of you have given me very good 'link words'. But, I'd like a relative in 3, please ... (Hard to please, aren't I ?) and, please, maxwell ... can you do like Komics and colour many/much /few etc? Then, the words stand out easily, and it saves me a lot of time and headaches !
Very good work for both already ...

Réponse: Ex.14 /Varions les plaisirs de komiks, postée le 03-09-2014 à 13:48:26 (S | E)
Hello here4u,
Thanks a lot for your pleasant remarks.
I added a second proposal for sentence 3 because you said you wanted us to build a relative. Is that correct ?
As to my school-resuming ("rentrée" is such an annoying word to translate in English, because there's no equivalent ! We have to use periphrasis ), everything went well; but my timetable is so bad !! I work from Monday morning to Saturday at 12 o'clock and I finish school at 6 o'clock almost everyday..
Thanks again,
See you very soon

Réponse: Ex.14 /Varions les plaisirs de maxwell, postée le 03-09-2014 à 20:54:20 (S | E)
There you are ! I'd do anything for you !

Réponse: Ex.14 /Varions les plaisirs de tereda, postée le 04-09-2014 à 08:52:08 (S | E)
Hello Here4U, finally, this is my try correctly transferred !
Thanks again for giving us an interesting "work" !

1 He’s still a convalescent, it's why/so he needs a lot of rest and help !
2 We’ll hold the meeting upstairs, hoping that the room is large enough, otherwise We’ll stay downstairs.
3)There are good wines in Burgundy whose their prices are unfortunately very high.
3)There are good wines in Burgundy, it's why their prices are very high.
4)Mrs Brown had three cats, but Mr Keagan loved only one of them.

5)Very well done !You’ve made much progress these last few months ! Your friends didn’t and there’s not much time left for them before the exams ! I hope you realise that very few employers are prepared to take unqualified school-leavers. Unless they work much harder in the following weeks, they won’t get many A-levels and, believe me, the more A-levels you get, the more chance you have of getting a decent job ! (/8)

this is what first, I have written, : , the less A-levels you get, the less chance you have of getting a decent job ! I am sure of nothing !

6)it's not worth to hurry ! You'll have one hour left, without having nothing to do.
7)You should have gone to shopping earlier ! the shop is going to shut and you have nothing to eat, this evening !
8)He doesn't make the distinction between a "do" and a "mi ! he gets me an earful !
9)It should not have stones in this cake ! I've one tooth broken !
10)It is said he is the wealthiest man of the city, but the more he owns, the less I have respect for him !

-------------------
Modifié par tereda le 09-09-2014 16:27

-------------------
Modifié par tereda le 10-09-2014 17:35

Réponse: Ex.14 /Varions les plaisirs de kazan, postée le 04-09-2014 à 12:27:14 (S | E)
Hello Again! I hope you doing well and your pupils are nice to you

--> He’s still a convalescent, so he needs a lot of rest and help !

2) We’ll hold the meeting upstairs. The room is large enough. We’ll stay downstairs ! (2 LW required to make one long meaningful sentence)
--> We'll hold the meeting upstairs, since the room is large enough, otherwise we'll stay downstairs.

--> There are good wines in Burgundy, but their prices are very high.

-->Mrs Brown had three cats, out of which Mr Keagan loved one.

Very well done !You’ve made much progress these last few months ! Your friends didn’t and there’s not much time left for them before the exams ! I hope you realise that very few employers are prepared to take unqualified school-leavers. Unless they work much harder in the following weeks, they won’t get many A-levels and, believe me, a few A-levels you get, little chance you have of getting a decent job ! (/8)

Translate :
6)Ce n’est pas la peine de te dépêcher. Il va te rester une heure à attendre sans rien avoir à faire !
-->There no use to hurry . You 'll have one hour left with nothing to do.

-->You should have done the shopping sooner! The shop is going to close and you'll be left with nothing to eat, except some old ketchup sauce you have at the bottom of your fridge!

--> He can't ear the difference between a "C" and a "E"! He's getting on my nerves.

--> There shouldn't have been stones in that cake! I've broken a tooth of mine!

--> He's allegedly the richest man in town and the more he makes money, the more I disrespect him!

Réponse: Ex.14 /Varions les plaisirs de taiji43, postée le 04-09-2014 à 19:15:31 (S | E)
Bonjour Hre4u,
Comme j'ai fini mon test je viens voir tous mes camarades et réfléchir en même temps qu'eux.En espérant que tout va pour le mieux.

1.He’s still a convalescent. He needs a lot of rest and help !
He’s still a convalescent that’s is why/therefore/so, he needs a lot of rest and help.

2.We’ll hold the meeting upstairs. The room is large enough. We’ll stay downstairs ! (2 LW required to make one long meaningful sentence)
We’ll hold the meeting upstairs in case/if the room is large enough Otherwise/or else, we’ll stay dowstairs.

3.There are good wines in Burgundy. Their prices are very high.
There are good wines in Burgundy whose prices are very high.
In Burgundy there are good wine ,the prices of wich are very high.

4.Mrs Brown had three cats. Mr Keagan loved one of them.
Mrs Brown had three cats among which Mr Keagan loved one of them

5.Very well done !You’ve made much progress these last few months ! Your friends didn’t and there’s not much time left for them before the exams ! I hope you realise that very few employers are prepared to take unqualified school-leavers. Unless they work much harder in the following weeks, they won’t get many A-levels and, believe me, the less A-levels you get, the less chance you have of getting a decent job

6. Ce n’est pas la peine de te dépêcher. Il va te rester une heure à attendre sans rien avoir à faire !
It’s no use hurrying, you would be waiting for one hour without doing nothing
It's no use hurrying, you would have one hour left to wait with nothing to do.

7. Tu aurais dû faire tes courses plus tôt ! Le magasin va fermer et tu ne pourras rien manger ce soir !
You should have gone your shopping earlier . The shop is about to close therefore you won’t have nothing to eat this evening.

8.Il n’entend pas la différence entre un ‘do’ et un ‘mi’ ! Il me casse les oreilles !
He can’t hear the differencd betwween a do and a mi. He is deafening me

9 Il n’aurait pas dû y avoir de noyaux dans ce gâteau ! Je me suis cassé une dent !
There shouldn't be stones in this cake! One of my tooth has been broken

10. On dit qu’il est l’homme le plus riche de la ville, et plus il gagne, moins je le respecte.
He is said to be the wealthiest of the town, however the more he earns the less I respect him
It is said that he is the wealtiest of the town, however the more he earns the less I respect him
-------------------
Modifié par taiji43 le 05-09-2014 14:18

Réponse: Ex.14 /Varions les plaisirs de koreen2012, postée le 05-09-2014 à 07:20:48 (S | E)
Hello Here4u! Thank you very much for this interesting exercise as usual that's a real pleasure to do it!
Here is my try

1) He's still a convalescent thence he needs a lot of rest and help !

2) We'll hold the meeting upstairs supposing the room is large enough otherwise we'll stay downstairs !

3-a) There are good wines in Burgundy however their prices are very high.
3-b) There are good wines in Burgundy whose their prices are very high.

4) Mrs Brown had three cats nevertheless only one of them was loved by Mr Keagan.

Very well done !You've made much progress these last few months ! Your friends didn't and there's not many time left for them before the exams ! I hope you realise that very few employers are prepared to take unqualified school-leavers. Unless they work much harder in the following weeks, they won't get many A-levels and, believe me, the fewer A-levels you get, the less chance you have of getting a decent job ! (/8)

Translation :
6)Ce n'est pas la peine de te dépêcher. Il va te rester une heure à attendre sans rien avoir à faire !
--> Don't bother to hurry up. You are going to have one hour to wait and you will have nothing to do!
--> It’s no good hurrying, you must leave on time, if not you will wait an age without having something to do!

You should have done your shopping earlier! The store is going to close and you will have nothing to eat tonight!

8) Il n'entend pas la différence entre un do' et un mi' ! Il me casse les oreilles !
He doesn't tell apart from "C" and "E"! He's hurting my ears!

9) Il n'aurait pas dû y avoir de noyaux dans ce gâteau ! Je me suis cassé une dent !
There shouldn't have been any stones in this cake! I have broken one of my teeth!

10) On dit qu'il est l'homme le plus riche de la ville, et plus il gagne, moins je le respecte
--> It's said he is the richest man of the town, the more money he earn , the less esteem I have for him
--> He is said to be the richest man of the town, the more money he earns , the less esteem I have for him

See you soon!

-------------------
Modifié par koreen2012 le 05-09-2014 07:30

-------------------
Modifié par koreen2012 le 06-09-2014 05:58

Hello
I've added a new proposition for sentence N°6
see you

-------------------
Modifié par koreen2012 le 08-09-2014 09:54

-------------------
Modifié par koreen2012 le 09-09-2014 04:34

Réponse: Ex.14 /Varions les plaisirs de jo06, postée le 05-09-2014 à 10:09:08 (S | E)
Hello Here4u,this is my try.

1) He's still a convalescent therefore he needs a lot of rest and help!
2) we'll hold the meeting upstairs as (since) the room is large enough otherwise we'll stay downstairs!
3) There are good wines in Burgundy which prices are very high.
4) Mrs Brown had three cats of course (whereas,and yet)Mr Keagan loved one of them.

5) Very well done! You've made much progress these last few months!
Your friends didn't and there's not much time left for them before the exams!
I hope you realise that very few employers (a very few employers) are prepared
to take unqualified school- leavers.
Unless they work much harder in the following weeks, they won't get many A-levels and,
believe me, the less A-levels you get, the little chance you have of getting a descent job!

6) It's not worth to hurry up or it's no need to hurry up. You will have one hour left to wait without doing anything!
7) You should have gone shopping before (earlier)! The shop is about to close and you won't have anything to eat this
evening!
8) He can't tell the difference (He can't make the difference) between C and E! He's bursting my eardrums!
He's blowing out my eardrums!
He deafens me!
9) It shouldn't have been any stones in this cake! I broke a tooth!
This cake shouldn't have got any stones! I broke a tooth!
10)He is said to be the richest man of the town and the more he earns the less I respect (trust) him!

-------------------
Modifié par jo06 le 07-09-2014 11:22

-------------------
Modifié par jo06 le 09-09-2014 08:49

-------------------
Modifié par jo06 le 09-09-2014 09:33

Réponse: Ex.14 /Varions les plaisirs de bibi62, postée le 05-09-2014 à 12:47:32 (S | E)
Hello Here4you,
Thanks for this other exercise.Here is my try.

1.He's still a convalescent so (therefore) he needs a lot of rest and help.
2.We'll hold the meeting upstairs if the room is large enough if not (otherwise) we'll stay downstairs.
3.There are good wines in Burgundy whose prices are very high.
4.Mrs Brown had three cats one of whom is loved by Mr Keagan.
5.a)You've made much progress
b)these last few months
c)there's not much time
d)very few employers
e)they work much harder
f)they won't get many A-levels
g)the less A-levels you have the less chance...
6.It is no use hurrying you up.You will have one hour left without anything to do.
7.You should have done shopping earlier!The shop is going to shut and you won't be able to eat something this evening!
8.He can't hear the difference between a "C" and a "E".He deafens me!
9.Stones shouldn't have been in this cake!I have one tooth broken!
10.He is said the wealthiest in town and,the more money he earns the less I respect him.

Réponse: Ex.14 /Varions les plaisirs de joe39, postée le 06-09-2014 à 12:44:21 (S | E)
Good morning dear here4u!

Here is my try.
He’s still a convalescent, therefore he has to rest a lot and be looked after and helped!.
We’ll hold the meeting upstairs as the room is large enough but nonetheless we’ll probably stay downstairs since that hall looks more comfortable!
There are good wines in Burgundy and so their prices are so high.
Mrs. Brown had three cats, among which the red haired one was loved by Mr. Keagan

Very well done !You’ve made little…… progress these last ..few.. months ! Your friends didn’t and there’s not much time left for them before the exams ! I hope you realise that very few employers are prepared to take unqualified school-leavers. Unless they work much harder in the following weeks, they won’t get many A-levels and, believe me, the fewer A-levels you get, the lesser chance you’ll have of getting a decent job ! (/8)/ Translate :
You have no need to hasten. You will be waiting still for an hour and nothing to do!
You should have done your shopping before! The shop is going to shut and you won’t have anything to eat this evening!
8) Il n’entend pas la différence entre un «C » et un « E » ! Il me casse les oreilles
He doesn’t understand the difference between a “do” and a “mi”! He’s smashing my ears /My ears are going to be smashed!
his cake shouldn't have had any core inside. I broke a tooth!
They say he’s the richest man of the city/he’s said to be the city’s richest man, and the more he earns, the less I respect him!

I thank you for the nice exercise and remain wishing you a pleasant weekend.
Joe39

-------------------
Modifié par joe39 le 13-09-2014 19:45

Réponse: Ex.14 /Varions les plaisirs de alpiem, postée le 06-09-2014 à 15:37:39 (S | E)
Hello here4u,!!!
I'm a little late, 6 answers already posted 2 days ago and I am a retiree ! they hurled themselves at it ! no matter !

1/He's still a convalescent therefore ( consequently,on this regard) he needs a lot of rest and help!
2/We are going to hold the meeting upstairs provided ( on condition )that the room be large enough ,otherwise(if not) we'll stay downstairs!!
3/There are good wines in Burgundy the prices of which are very high.(thanks for tipping me off with Kazan !)
4/Mrs Brown had three cats among which Mr Keegan loved one .

5/ Well done! You've made much progress these last few months! Your friends didn't and there's not much time
left for them before the exams! I hope you realise that very few employers are prepared to take unqualified
school leavers. Unless they work much harder in the following weeks, they won't get many A-levels and
believe me the fewer A-levels you get,the lesser chance you have of getting a decent job!
6/You needn't hurry,you will have to wait one hour doing nothing!
7/You'd rather have run errands earlier, the shop is going to close down and you won't eat anything tonight.
8/He doesn't make the difference between a 'do' and a 'mi'! He makes my ears break!
9/There shouldn't have had pits in this cake!I've had a tooth broken!
10/He's said to be the wealthiest man in the city and the more he earns, the less I respect him!

Réponse: Ex.14 /Varions les plaisirs de ronald1955, postée le 08-09-2014 à 16:36:15 (S | E)
Hello Here4you,

Here is my try !

1. He’s still a convalescent. He needs a lot of rest and help !
a- He’s still a convalescent that’s why he needs a lot of rest and help!
b- He's still a convalescent therefore he needs a lot of rest and help!

2. We’ll hold the meeting upstairs. The room is large enough. We’ll stay downstairs ! (2 LW required to make one long meaningful sentence)
a- We’ll hold the meeting upstairs in case/provided the room is large enough, otherwise we’ll stay dowstairs!

3. There are good wines in Burgundy. Their prices are very high.

4. Mrs Brown had three cats. Mr Keagan loved one of them.
a- Mrs Brown had three cats among which Mr Keagan loved one of them.
b- Mrs Brown had three cats one of which was loved by Mr Keagan.
d- Mrs Brown had three cats,however Mr Keagan loved only one of them.

5. Very well done !You’ve made much progress these last few months ! Your friends didn’t and there’s not much time left for them before the exams ! I hope you realise that very few employers are prepared to take unqualified school-leavers. Unless they work much harder in the following weeks, they won’t get many A-levels and, believe me, the fewer A-levels you get, the less chance you have of getting a decent job. or the more A-levels you get, the more chance you have of getting a decent job.

6. Ce n’est pas la peine de te dépêcher. Il va te rester une heure à attendre sans rien avoir à faire !
a- You needn't hurry. You're going to have one hour left waiting without anything to do !
b- Don't bother to hurry up. There will be one hour left, and you’ll have nothing to do !
d- You don't have to hurry. You will/would be waiting for an hour with nothing to do!

7. Tu aurais dû faire tes courses plus tôt ! Le magasin va fermer et tu ne pourras rien manger ce soir !
a- You should have gone shopping earlier! The shop is about to close soon and you won't have anything to eat this evening!
b- You should have done the shopping earlier! The shop is closing soon and you won't have anything to eat for dinner!
c- You should have done the shopping earlier! The store is going to close soon and you won't have anything to eat for dinner!

8. Il n’entend pas la différence entre un ‘do’ et un ‘mi’ ! Il me casse les oreilles !
a- He can’t hear the difference between a 'C' and a'E'! It's deafeaning!
b- He doesn’t get the difference between a 'C' and a 'E'! You're making my ears bleed !

9. Il n’aurait pas dû y avoir de noyaux dans ce gâteau ! Je me suis cassé une dent !
a- There shouldn't have been any stones in this cake! One of my teeth is broken!
b- There shouldn't have been any stones in this cake! I've broken one of my teeth!

10.On dit qu’il est l’homme le plus riche de la ville, et plus il gagne, moins je le respecte.
a- He is said to be the wealthiest man of the town, the more money he earns, the less I respect him.
b- He is said to be the richest man of the city, the more he earns, the less I respect him.

It was a real pleasure for me to do these exercises! Thanks a lot Here4u!

Réponse: Ex.14 /Varions les plaisirs de here4u, postée le 08-09-2014 à 18:27:14 (S | E)
Hello all of you !

After another (mid-time) review, a few remarks ! Still plenty of time for changes ...

- Je sais que je suis pénible, mais à mes yeux et oreilles : 'and, but, if et so' ne sont pas des 'mots de Liaison' dignes de ce nom ...(sauf en 6è!)
- Attention à la construction des relatifs ... souvent un peu 'fantaisiste'...
- malgré mon insistance,(mais je suis têtue, je ne cèderai pas! ,) on dirait que vous ne voulez pas employer (correctement ) 'les progressions parallèles' (plus ... plus - plus ... moins - moins ... moins ) GRRRrrrr !
- Lorsqu'il s'agit de thème grammatical, collez plus au texte ! Les mots n'ont pas été choisis au hasard !

A part ça,() c'est super bon ! (c'est pourquoi je me laisse aller à être exigeante !, sinon ...)
Allez, courage ! et merci de me consacrer tant de temps et d'énergie !

Réponse: Ex.14 /Varions les plaisirs de gerondif, postée le 08-09-2014 à 18:55:30 (S | E)
Hello,Here4U

1) He’s still a convalescent, so / therefore/ He needs a lot of rest and help !
2) We’ll hold the meeting upstairs if (provided) the room is large enough, otherwise (if not), We’ll stay downstairs !
3) There are good wines in Burgundy Consequently, their prices are very high.
As (considering) there are good wines in Burgundy,their prices are very high.
4) Mrs Brown had three cats, one of which Mr Keagan loved.
Out of the three cats Mrs Brown had,Mr Keagan loved one.
Although Mrs Brown had three cats, Mr Keagan only loved one of them, so the other two mysteriously ended up in a Scottish brew.(I cooked this one up)

Very well done !You’ve made much progress these last few months ! Your friends didn’t and there’s not much time left for them before the exams ! I hope you realise that very few employers are prepared to take unqualified school-leavers. Unless they work much harder in the following weeks, they won’t get many /any A-levels and, believe me, the fewer A-levels you get, the less chance you have of getting a decent job ! (/8)

Translate :
You needn't hurry up, otherwise, you'll be stuck (for) an hour waiting with nothing to do./ You're going to be left with an hour waiting with nothing to do.

You should have been/ (gone) /(done your)/ shopping earlier. The shop is going to close and you won't be able to have anything to eat tonight./and you'll end up with nothing to eat tonight /You ain't gonna be able to have a bite tonight ( Yes, I know, it's getting worse and worse but you can't do good grammar on an empty stomach!)

He can't hear the difference between a C and an E./ He can't tell a C from an E. He's making my ears bleed ./He's giving me an earful !

There shouldn't have been any stones in vat (bloody) cake ! I broke a toof! (impossible de prononcer correctement that et tooth avec une dent cassée, right?)

He is said to be / I hear he is/ I'm told he is / the richest (wealthiest) man in town and (but irait mieux) the more he earns (makes), the less I respect him.

Réponse: Ex.14 /Varions les plaisirs de mamou3, postée le 08-09-2014 à 20:30:39 (S | E)
Hello Here4u,

It's not obvious !

1. He's still convalescent therefore he needs a lot of rest and help.
2. We'll hold the meeting upstairs because the room is large enough otherwise we'll stay downstairs.
3. There are good wines in Burgundy even if their prices are very high.
4. Mrs Brown had three cats among them Mr Keagan loved one of them.
5. Very well done !You’ve made much progress these last few months ! Your friends didn’t and there’s not much time left for them before the exams ! I hope you realise that very few employers are prepared to take unqualified school-leavers. Unless they work much harder in the following weeks, they won’t get many A-levels and, believe me, the less A-levels you get, the little chance you have of getting a decent job.

6. It's not necessary that you hurry up. There will be one hour left to wait with nothing to do.
7. You should have gone shopping earlier ! The supermarket is going to close and you 'll have nothing to eat tonight.
8. He can't hear the difference between a C and a E ! He gets on my nerves !
9. There shouldn't have been stones in that cake. I broke a tooth !
10. He is said to be the richest man of the city and the more he earns the less I respect him.

Thank you for this good exercise

Réponse: Ex.14 /Varions les plaisirs de lucile83, postée le 09-09-2014 à 10:57:14 (S | E)
Hello
Here is my try.
Thank you for this exercise

1) He’s still a convalescent therefore he needs a lot of rest and help !
2) We’ll hold the meeting upstairs since the room is large enough, otherwise we’ll stay downstairs!
3) There are good wines in Burgundy, thus prices are very high.
4) Mrs Brown had three cats, one of which Mr Keagan loved .

Very well done !You’ve made much progress these last few months ! Your friends didn’t and there’s not much time left for them before the exams ! I hope you realise that very few employers are prepared to take unqualified school-leavers. Unless they work much harder in the following weeks, they won’t get many A-levels and, believe me, the fewer A-levels you get, the less chance you have of getting a decent job !

Translate :
It’s no use hurrying. You‘re going to have one hour left waiting without having anything to do!

You should have run your errands earlier ! The shop is closing soon then you ‘ll have nothing to eat tonight!

He can’t hear the difference between a ‘C’ and an ‘E’ ! He is hurting my eardrums !

There shouldn’t have been any stone in this cake ! One of my teeth is broken!

He is said to be the wealthiest man in the city, and the more he makes money, the less I respect him !

Réponse: Ex.14 /Varions les plaisirs de lakata, postée le 09-09-2014 à 18:30:07 (S | E)
Hello dear here4u! Many thanks for this exercise and for letting us play with you!

1) He's still a convalescent and needs consequently a lot of rest and help.
2) We'll hold the meeting upstairs provided that the room is large enough. Otherwise, we'll stay downstairs.
3) There are good wines in Burgundy and accordingly, their prices are very high!
4) Mrs Brown had three cats, and unexpectedly, Mr Keagan, who wasn't keen on cats at all, loved one of them!

5) Fill in the blanks with : many/much/few/a few/less/little.
Very well done! You've made much progress these last few months! Your friends didn't and there's little time left for them before the exams! I hope you realise that very few employers are prepared to take unqualified school-leavers. Unless they work much harder in the following weeks, they won't get many A-levels and, believe me, the fewer A-levels you get, the less chance you have of getting a decent job!

Translate :
6) Ce n'est pas la peine de te dépêcher. Il va te rester une heure à attendre sans rien avoir à faire !
It isn't worth hurrying. You're going to have one hour left waiting without anything to do.

7) Tu aurais dû faire tes courses plus tôt. Le magasin va fermer et tu ne pourras rien manger ce soir !
You should have gone shopping earlier. The shop is about to close and you'll have nothing for dinner!

8) Il n'entend pas la différence entre un do et un mi ! Il me casse les oreilles !
He can't distinguish a C from an E! What an ordeal for my ears!

9) Il n'aurait pas dû y avoir de noyaux dans ce gâteau ! Je me suis cassé une dent !
The stones should have been removed from this cake before baking! As a result, one of my teeth has broken!

10) On dit qu'il est l'homme le plus riche de la ville, et plus il gagne, moins je le respecte !
He's said to be the wealthiest man in the city, and the more he makes money, the less I respect him!

Have a good week !

Réponse: Ex.14 /Varions les plaisirs de here4u, postée le 10-09-2014 à 06:36:00 (S | E)
Hello

As the happy working group is starting to get huge , I'll start sending individual corrections on a first come first served basis ! If not, I won't be able to do the whole batch on time !
Seeing you taking pleasure playing with me is a huge joy and I thank you for it! Go on having fun!

Réponse: Ex.14 /Varions les plaisirs de here4u, postée le 10-09-2014 à 18:09:11 (S | E)
Tut, tut ! Guys !
On ne détourne pas la difficulté ... on ne contourne pas mes 'pièges' on les déjoue ! non mais !

Réponse: Ex.14 /Varions les plaisirs de lakata, postée le 10-09-2014 à 18:58:33 (S | E)
I don't really see what you mean, dear here4u...
Moi qui étais contente de jouer avec toi, voilà qu'il faut que je déjoue , maintenant ???

Réponse: Ex.14 /Varions les plaisirs de lucile83, postée le 10-09-2014 à 22:24:01 (S | E)
Hellooo
What traps? where do you see traps? are you sure there are any?

Réponse: Ex.14 /Varions les plaisirs de lakata, postée le 11-09-2014 à 09:25:02 (S | E)
...What about a subsidiary question to decide between the winners ?

11) How many traps in exercise 14 ???

Réponse: Ex.14 /Varions les plaisirs de here4u, postée le 11-09-2014 à 11:46:47 (S | E)

Ah la la ! Pas moyen d'être sérieux ! (Tant mieux ! )
Pas vraiment des pièges, mais des passages que j'aimerais 'obligés' ... et vous faites des détours, Quand j'insiste, je me rends compte que c'était une lacune ... ne vous inquiétez pas, je connais beaucoup de vos 'tours' pour noyer le poisson !

Réponse: Ex.14 /Varions les plaisirs de here4u, postée le 11-09-2014 à 11:52:27 (S | E)
... mais je n'arrive pas à vous coller mon poisson en train de se noyer ! Ca m'énerve!

Réponse: Ex.14 /Varions les plaisirs de tereda, postée le 11-09-2014 à 14:05:56 (S | E)
Comment dit-on en anglais? Tel est pris qui croyait prendre

Réponse: Ex.14 /Varions les plaisirs de kazan, postée le 11-09-2014 à 17:26:46 (S | E)
I guess it's
hoist with his own petard (cf Lien internet

Réponse: Ex.14 /Varions les plaisirs de lucile83, postée le 11-09-2014 à 17:54:34 (S | E)
je dirais : it's the biter bitten

Réponse: Ex.14 /Varions les plaisirs de ariane6, postée le 11-09-2014 à 21:19:20 (S | E)
Hello Here4u,
Thank you for this new exercise !

1) He's still a convalescent. He needs a lot of rest and help!
He's still convalescent, therefore needs a lot of rest and help!

2) We'll hold the meeting upstairs. The room is large enough. We'll stay downstairs !
We’ll hold the meeting upstairs if / providing the room is large enough, otherwise, we’ll stay downstairs !

There are good wines in Burgundy making their prices very high.
There are good wines in Burgundy, therefore their prices are very high.

Mrs Brown had three cats, moreover Mr Keagan loved one of them.
Mrs Brown had three cats of which Mr Keagan loved one.

Very well done !You’ve made …much…… progress these last ..few.. months ! Your friends didn't and there's not ..much.. time left for them before the exams ! I hope you realise that very …few… employers are prepared to take unqualified school-leavers. Unless they work ...much.... harder in the following weeks, they won't get...many... A-levels and, believe me, …the fewer…A-levels you get,……the less… chance you have of getting a decent job !

Translate:
6) Ce n’est pas la peine de te dépêcher. Il va te rester une heure à attendre sans rien avoir à faire !
--It's not worth hurrying up. You'll have an hour to wait with nothing to do.

--You should have gone shopping before. The shop is going to close and you won't be able to eat this evening.

8) Il n’entend pas la différence entre un ‘do’ et un ‘mi’! Il me casse les oreilles !
-- He can't hear the difference between a "do" and a "mi". He's really doing my head in!

--This cake shouldn't have had stones in it! I've broken a tooth.

--He is said to be the richest man in town yet the more he earns, the less I respect him.

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Exercices du forum
Page 1 / 2 - Voir la page 1 | 2 | Fin | >>

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux