Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Exercice 18 /Variétés

Cours gratuits > Forum > Exercices du forum || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Exercice 18 /Variétés
Message de here4u posté le 18-10-2014 à 01:43:13 (S | E | F)
Hello !

Here is exercise 18 ... another mix of several skills required from you today !
Ex 18 : More varieties ...
The first two sentences will be some rewriting ! Please, use the elements required
Then, you'll have to complete a little text with different articles (including 0)
Third, you'll be given 5 ordinary French sentences to turn into English.
Finally, just for fun, you'll have 3 sentences where you have to put the words in the right order ...(no word is missing and all of them must be used ! )I apologize in advance for the headaches they might give you !:? You may want to hide your solutions with the function : Enjoy !

This is a . The collective correction will be given on the 29th of October. You may change your tries till the 25th at night.

1) Why didn't you bring back the key as I had asked you to ? ( modal - passive in the 2d part of the sentence).
2) It wasn't necessary to tell them you were sixty (years old), being a man on crutches was enough ! (modal+ 1 compound adjective concerning the age)

3) Complete with : a /an /the/ 0/
... relationships between ...... inhabitants of our planet and ... Nature have become ... acute and ... universal problem nowadays. This reflects ... tensions inherent to ... modern civilisation. We have ... tremendous task of reorienting ... mankind towards building ... more humane future. It will be ... extremely important challenge for ... generations to come'.

4) Quels que soient les efforts que je faisais, elle me regardait comme si elle ne m'avait jamais vu et comme si elle n'avait pas envie de me connaître !
5) Si seulement j’avais compris que c’était un si beau pays, j'y serais allé beaucoup plus tôt, et, bien sûr, j'y serais resté plus longtemps.
6) Il n'y a plus de caramels et ce sont les seuls bonbons que j'aie le droit de manger. Tu pourras m'en racheter ?
7) En plus de regarder ma solution, il a été jusqu'à me demander de lui faire son devoir ! Ne penses-tu pas qu'il a du toupet !
8) Je suis d'accord avec toi .... Un clown sans nez rouge et sans chapeau pointu n'est pas un clown digne de ce nom ...

9)Re-order so as to make correct sentences ! ... Rack your brains !

a) SEEN/WONDER//LONG/NEIGHBOUR/I/I/SO/NOT/MY/FOR/HAVE/WHY
b) I/WITH/ REASON/SHOULD/IS/WHY/NO/HIS/THERE/BUSINESS/INTERFERE
c) MORE/WITH/YOU’LL/IT/THE/THE/ALL/AS/SHARE/FRIEND/JOURNEY/PLEASANT/NICE/BE/WILL/SOME/

Have a good time !

Réponse: Exercice 18 /Variétés de maxwell, postée le 19-10-2014 à 11:56:45 (S | E)
Hello Here4u, thanks again for the answers, and for this nice little exercise ! I'm fond of it !
Here's my hidden try :

1) You should have brought back the key as you were asked to.
2) You didn't need to tell them you were a sixty-year-old man, being a man in crutches was enough !
3)...THE... relationships between ...THE... inhabitants of our planet and ...0... Nature have become ...AN... acute and ...0... universal problem nowadays. This reflects ...THE... tensions inherent to ..0.... modern civilisation. We have ...A... tremendous task of reorienting ...0... mankind towards building ..A.... more humane future. It will be ..AN... extremely important challenge for ...0... generations to come'.
4) No matter how hard I tried, she looked at me as if (or : as though) she had never seen me (before) and didn't feel like (or : didn't fancy) knowing me !
5) Had I known it was such a nice country, I would have gone there much earlier, and of course, I would have stayed there much longer
6) There are no toffees left, and those are the only sweets I'm entitled to eat. Will you have the opportunity to buy me some more ? (or : Tu pourrais m'en racheter ? => Could you buy me some more ?)
7a) Not only did he look at my solution, but he also asked me to do his homework ! Don't you think he has some nerve !
7b) In addition to looking at my solution, he went as far as to ask me to do his homework ! ...
7c) Besides his looking at my solution, ...
8) I agree with you. A clown without a red nose nor a pointed hat would not be a true one (or : a real one ; or : worthy of the name)
9a I wonder why I have not seen my neighbour for so long
9b there is no reason why I should interfere with his business
9c it will be all the more pleasant as you'll share the journey with some nice friend

-------------------
Modifié par maxwell le 25-10-2014 18:31

Réponse: Exercice 18 /Variétés de alpiem, postée le 19-10-2014 à 18:13:40 (S | E)
Hello! I have nothing to hide , sorry!

1/Why didn't you bring back the key as you should have done since I had asked you to do ?
2/You didn't need to tell them you were a crutched sixty-year- old man !
3/'The' relationship between'the'inhabitants of our planet and' ' Nature have become 'an' acute and '' universal problem nowadays.
This reflects'the'tensions inherent to '' modern civilisation.
We have'a' tremendous task of reorienting ' 'mankind towards building 'a' more humane future.
It will be 'an' extremely important challenge for ''generations to come
4/Whatever efforts I made she was looking at me as if she had never seen me and as if she didn't want to know me.
5/If only I had understood it was so beautiful a country I would have gone there sooner and of course I would have stayed there longer.
6/There aren't any toffees left and these are the only sweets I am allowed to eat.Could you buy me some?
7/In addition to looking at my solution , he went so far as to ask me to do his prep! Don't you think he has got a hell of a cheek !
8/I agree with you ......A clown without a red nose and a sharp hat is not a fit clown.

a) I wonder why I have not seen my neighbourg for so long.
b)There is no reason why I should interfere with his business.
c)The journey will be all the more pleasant as you'll share it with some nice friend.

Tout compte fait je préfere le cacher vu le mal que j'ai eu à le faire!( non je n'ai pas regardé les autres,juré!)

Réponse: Exercice 18 /Variétés de koreen2012, postée le 20-10-2014 à 06:14:01 (S | E)
Hello Here4u
Thank you for this new exercise, especially for the last part, it was quite difficult

1) Why can't you have brought the key as you had been asked to?

2) It wasn't necessary to tell them you were sixty(years old), being a man in crutches was enough !
You didn't have to tell them you were a sixty-year old man, being a man in crutches was enought !
You didn't need to tell them you were a sixty-year old man, being a man in crutches was enought !

3)THE relationships between THE inhabitants of our planet and 0 Nature have become AN acute and 0 universal problem nowadays. This reflects 0 tensions inherent to THE modern civilisation. We have A tremendous task of reorienting 0 mankind towards building A more humane future. It will be AN extremely important challenge for THE generations to come'.

4) Quels que soient les efforts que je faisais, elle me regardait comme si elle ne m'avait jamais vu et comme si elle n'avait pas envie de me connaître !
No matter how much efforts I made, she looked at me as though she had never seen me and as if she didn't want to know me !
Whatever are the efforts which I made....

5) Si seulement j'avais compris que c'était un si beau pays, j'y serais allé beaucoup plus tôt, et, bien sûr, j'y serais resté plus longtemps.
If only I had understood it was such a beautiful country, I would have been there earlier, and of course, I would have stayed longer

6) Il n'y a plus de caramels et ce sont les seuls bonbons que j'aie le droit de manger. Tu pourras m'en racheter ?
There are no more caramels and they are the only one I can eat / I'm allowed to eat. Could you buy me some more (please) ?

7) En plus de regarder ma solution, il a été jusqu'à me demander de lui faire son devoir ! Ne penses-tu pas qu'il a du toupet !
Besides looking at my solution, he went until to ask me for doing his homeworks! Don't you think he has a nerve !
in addition to looking at my solution, he even asked me for doing his homework! Don't you think he has a nerve !

8) Je suis d'accord avec toi .... Un clown sans nez rouge et sans chapeau pointu n'est pas un clown digne de ce nom ...
I agree with you....A clown without a red nose and a pointy hat is not a clown worthy of the name / is not what I call a clown...

9-a) I wonder why I have not seen my neighbour for so long

9-b) There is no reason why I should interfere with his business.

9-c) As you’ll share the journey with some nice friend (s) it will be all the more pleasant :?

Take care and have a lovely week.

Réponse: Exercice 18 /Variétés de hushpuppy, postée le 20-10-2014 à 17:40:41 (S | E)
Bonjour,
Je suis toujours heureuse d'avoir la chance pour pratiquer des langues, merci!

1) You should have brought back the key as you had been asked.
2) You didn't have to tell them you were a sixty-year-old man, being on crutches was enough!
3) (The) relationships between (the) inhabitants of our planet and (0) Nature have become (an) acute and (0) universal problem nowadays. This reflects (the) tensions inherent to (0) modern civilisation. We have (a) tremendous task of reorienting (0) mankind towards building (a) more humane future. It will be (an) extremely important challenge for (0/the, cela dépend si on peut voir la fin) generations to come'.
4) What efforts I made, but she looked at me as if she had never seen me and, worse, as if she would never want to know me!
5) If I had only known that this was such a beautiful country, I would have come here much sooner, and, of course, I would have stayed here longer.
6) There aren't any more caramels, and these are the only candies that I can eat. Can you buy me some more?
7) In addition to looking at my answer, he asked me to do his work! What nerve, wouldn't you say?!
8) I agree with you ... A clown, without a red nose or a pointed hat, isn't worthy of the name.
9)a) I/WONDER/WHY/I/HAVE/NOT/SEEN/MY/NEIGHBOUR/FOR/SO/LONG/ I wonder why I have not seen my neighbour for so long.
b) THERE/IS/NO/REASON/WHY/I/SHOULD/INTERFERE/WITH/HIS/BUSINESS/ There is no reason why I should interfere with his business.
c) YOU’LL/SHARE/THE/JOURNEY/WITH/SOME/NICE/FRIEND/AS/IT/WILL/BE/ALL/THE/MORE/PLEASANT/ You'll share the journey with some nice friend, as it will be all the more pleasant.

Réponse: Exercice 18 /Variétés de here4u, postée le 20-10-2014 à 19:59:09 (S | E)
Hello !

You do make me laugh !
Originally, my suggestion was about the last 3 sentences only ... but as, apparently you all want to hide everything , I have no objection (as long as I can copy your tries in order to study them peacefully ! )
Take care !

Réponse: Exercice 18 /Variétés de komiks, postée le 20-10-2014 à 20:34:50 (S | E)
Hello here4u,
Thanks for this new exercise, which was very pleasant even if sentences to re-order aren't what I prefer !
Here's my try

1) Why didn't you bring back the key as I had asked you to ? ( modal - passive in the 2d part of the sentence).
You could have brought back the key as you had been asked to.

2) It wasn't necessary to tell them you were sixty (years old), being a man on crutches was enough ! (modal+ 1 compound adjective)
You shouldn’t have told them you were a sixty-year-old man, being on crutches was enough !

Ø relationships between the inhabitants of our planet and Ø Nature have become an acute and a universal problem nowadays. This reflects the tensions inherent to Ø modern civilisation. We have the tremendous task of reorienting Ø mankind towards building a more humane future. It will be an extremely important challenge for the generations to come'.

Whatever efforts I made, she was looking at me as if she had never seen me and as if she didn’t want to get to know me !

5) Si seulement j’avais compris que c’était un si beau pays, j'y serais allé beaucoup plus tôt, et, bien sûr, j'y serais resté plus longtemps.
If only I had understood that it was such a beautiful country, I would have gone there much earlier, and, of course, I would have stayed there for a longer time.

There aren’t any caramels left and those are the only candy I’m allowed to eat. Will you buy some for me ?

Besides looking at my answer/solution, he dared to ask me to do his homework/test ! What a cheek, don’t you think so / don’t you agree ?

I agree with you… A clown with no a red nose or a pointed hat (cone hat) is not a descent clown / is not a clown worthy of the name.

a) I wonder why I have not seen my neighbour for so long
b) There is no reason why I should interfere with his business
c) The journey will be all the more pleasant as you’ll share it with some nice friend

Réponse: Exercice 18 /Variétés de jo06, postée le 21-10-2014 à 08:36:17 (S | E)
Hello Here4u,
This is my try, I think we enjoy being tyrannized !

1) Why didn't you bring back the key as you had been asked to?
2) You didn't have to tell them you were a sixty-year-old man, to be seen as a crutch-man was enough!
3) Relationships between the inhabitants of our planet and the Nature have become an acute and an universal problem nowadays.This reflects the tensions inherent to a modern civilisation.We have a tremendous task of reorieting the mankind towards building a more humane future .It will be an extremly important challenge for generations to come.
4) Whatever the efforts I did,she looked at me as if she had never seen me and like she didn't want to know me!
5) I wish I had realized it was such a beautiful country, I would have gone there much sooner and of course I would have been stayed there for longer time.
6) There are any fudges left and they are the only sweets I am allowed to eat.Would you buy any for me?
7) On top of looking at my solution, he went so far as to ask me to do his homework! Don't you think he has cheek!
8) I agree with you... A clown without red nose and pointed hat is not a trustworthy clown.
9) I wonder why I have not seen my neighbour for so long
There is no reason why I should interfere with his business.
As you'll share the journey with some nice friend it will be all the more pleasant or The journey will be all the more pleasant as you'll share it with some nice friend.

-------------------
Modifié par jo06 le 26-10-2014 18:42

Réponse: Exercice 18 /Variétés de ronald1955, postée le 21-10-2014 à 13:58:49 (S | E)
Hello Here4u

Here is my try I don't intend to hire or intend hiring theses exercises and I like sharing them!

a- You should have brought back the key as you had been asked to.

2) It wasn't necessary to tell them you were sixty (years old), being a man on crutches was enough ! (modal+ 1 compound adjective)
a- You didn't need to tell them (that) you were a sixty-year-old man, being a crutched man was enough!
b- You didn't have to inform them that you were a sixty-year-old man, being a man on crutches was enough!

The relationships between the inhabitants of our planet and O Nature have become an acute and a universal problem nowadays. This reflects the tensions inherent to O modern civilisation. We have the tremendous task of reorienting O mankind towards building a more humane future. It will be an extremely important challenge for O generations to come'.

a- Whatever efforts I was making, she was looking at me as if she had never seen me and as if she didn’t fancy knowing me!
b- No matter how much effort I was making, she was staring at me as though she had never seen me and as though she didn't feel like knowing me!

a- If only I had realised it was such a beautiful country, I would have gone there much earlier, and of course, I would have stayed there longer.
b- I wish I had grasped/known it was such a beautiful country, I would have gone there much sooner/far earlier, and of course, I would have stayed there longer.

a- There aren’t any toffees left and those are the only sweets I’m allowed to eat. Could you buy me some more, please ?
b- There are no caramels left and those are the only sweets I'm entitled to eat. Would you mind buying me some more, please ?

a- Besides looking at my solution, he also asked me to do his homework ! Don't you think he is very cheeky !
b- Not only did he look at my solution, but he also asked me to do his homework ! Don't you think he has some nerve !

a- I agree with you.... A clown who wears neither red nose nor pointed hat wouldn't be a true one.../wouldn't be worthy of this name...
b- I agree with you .... A clown without a red nose and a pointed hat is not a clown worthy of the name...
c- I agree with you .... A clown without a red nose, or a pointed hat, is not a clown worthy of the name...

9) Re-order so as to make correct sentences ! ... Rack your brains !

a- I wonder why I have not seen my neighbour for so long.
b- There is no reason why I should interfere with his business.
c- The journey will be all the more pleasant as you’ll share it with some nice friend.

A big, large THANK to Here4u for these useful exercises !

Réponse: Exercice 18 /Variétés de tereda, postée le 21-10-2014 à 16:46:19 (S | E)
Hello everyone, hello HERE4U,
once again, a good exercise, this is my try

Shouldn't you have bring back the key as I had asked you to ?
You should have bring back the key as I had asked you, shouldn't you ?

2) It wasn't necessary to tell them you were sixty(years old), being a man in crutches was enough !
(modal+ 1 compound adjective)
You didn't need to tell them you were a sixty-old man, being a man in crutches was enough !
You didn't have to tell them you were a sixty-year-old man, they had seen you were on crutches.

The relationships between the inhabitants of our planet and Nature have become an acute and universal problem nowadays. This reflects the tensions inherent to a modern civilisation. We have a tremendous task of reorienting mankind towards building a more humane future. It will be an extremely important challenge for generations to come'.

Whatever the efforts I made, she looked at me as if she had never seen me before, and above all, as if she had no desire to know me !

If only I had understood it was such a beautiful country, I would have gone much earlier, and of course, I would have stayed there longer.

There are no more caramels, and there are the only sweets I can eat, can you buy me some more, please ?
Not only he looks at my solution, but he dares to ask me for doing his homework ! he's got a cheek, don't you think ?
I agree with you.... a Clown without a red nose, nor a pointed hat is not a clown worthy of the name.

I wonder why I have not seen my neighbour for so long.
There is no reason why i should interfere with his business
MORE/WITH/YOU’LL/IT/THE/THE/ALL/AS/SHARE/FRIEND/JOURNEY/PLEASANT/NICE/BE/WILL/SOME/
1.All The more you'll share with some nice friend, as pleasant will be the journey. ( - it !)
2. The journey will be all more pleasant, as you'll share it with some nice friend

it's me after the exercise !
have a good time, all my colleagues !and to Here4U

Réponse: Exercice 18 /Variétés de here4u, postée le 21-10-2014 à 16:59:23 (S | E)
Hello ! Exercice de Joe09
Hello Here4u!
I'm sending the work right now.

Dear here4u!
Here is my try.

As per my request you were to have brought the key back. Why didn't you do that as you were asked to?
2) It wasn't necessary to tell them you were sixty(years old), being a man in crutches was enough ! (modal+ 1 compound adjective)
They didn't need to be told you were sixty-year-old, since being a man-in-crutches was enough.

The... relationships between ..the.... inhabitants of our planet and .O.. Nature have become .an.. acute and .a.. universal problem nowadays. This reflects .the.. tensions inherent to .the.. modern civilisation. We have .the.. tremendous task of reorienting ?the. mankind towards building .a.. more humane future. It will be .an.. extremely important challenge for .the.. generations to come'.

In spite of my efforts, she looked at me as she had never seen me and even as she wouldn't had any wish to know me.
5) Si seulement j'avais compris que c'était un si beau pays, j'y serais allé beaucoup plus tôt, et, bien sûr, j'y serais resté plus longtemps.
If only I had understood/known what a beautiful country it was , I would have gone there earlier and, of course, I have stayed there longer.
There are no sweets/candies left. As they are the only kind of bon-bons I'm allowed to eat, can you buy me a bit of them, please? (here I understand the word ?droit? as
an allowance and not a right)
Not only he looked at/watched/peeped my solution, but also asked me to do his homework! What a cheek!
I agree with you? A clown without a red nose and a pointed hat isn't worthy of this name/ A clown who isn't red-nosed and doesn't wear a pointed hat, isn't worthy of this name?.

I wonder why I have not seen my neighbor for so long
There is no reason why I should interfere with his business
c) MORE/WITH/YOU'LL/IT/THE/THE/ALL/AS/SHARE/FRIEND/JOURNEY/PLEASANT/NICE/BE/WILL/SOME/
As you'll share it with some nice friend, all the journey will be more pleasant.

Indeed I had a great time and also I racked my brain up !
Thank you very much.
Have a nice night.

Réponse: Exercice 18 /Variétés de here4u, postée le 22-10-2014 à 17:44:42 (S | E)
Hello

Sorry ! Double lapse in sentence 2 ... forgetfulness or typo for 'on crutches', and forgetfulness : I should/could have specified that the compound adjective was simply about the man's age ...
Thank you to the very careful and kind 'learner' who pointed all that out ...

Réponse: Exercice 18 /Variétés de taiji43, postée le 22-10-2014 à 18:44:00 (S | E)
Hello here4u

I am relieved I was looking up a compound adjective in the dictionary relating to clutches, when I read your message..
Here is my try.It is not necessary to hide it.
Thanks you for this brain-teaser,

1You should have brought the key as you had been asked to, however you didn’t.

2.you didn’t need to tell them you were a sixty- year old man, being on crutches
was enough.

3 The… relationships between… the… inhabitants of our planet and…0… Nature have become… an… acute and …0… universal problem nowadays
This reflects…the …tensions inherent to modern…0…civilisation. We have… a… tremendous task of reorienting…0… mankind towards building… a… more humane future. It will be… an… extremely important challenge for… the… generation to come.

4. No matter how great effort I made, she looked at me as though she had never seen me and didn’t feel like knowing me.

5. I whish, I had understood it was such a nice country, I would have gone there much earlier and of course I would have stayed there much longer.

6.There are no caramels left and those are the only sweets I am allowed to eat would you mind buying me some of them?

7. Besides looking at my solution, he went as far as to ask me to do his homework, don’t you think he has got a nerve !

8 I agree wih you. A clown without a red nose and no pointed hat is not a real one worthy of the name.

9. I wonder why I have not seen my neighbourg for so long.
There is no reason why I should interfere with his business
It will be all the more pleasant as you’ll share the journey with some friend.

Réponse: Exercice 18 /Variétés de icare29, postée le 22-10-2014 à 23:44:04 (S | E)
Hello Here4u , here is my work

You should have brought back the key as you had been asked to
2) It wasn't necessary to tell them you were sixty(years old), being a man in crutches was enough ! (modal 1 compound adjective)
It didn't need to tell them you were sixty-year-old man , being a man in crutches was enough

.THE. relationships between ..THE.... inhabitants of our planet and ..0. Nature have become .AN.. acute and .0.. universal problem nowadays. This reflects ..THE. tensions inherent to .0. modern civilisation. We have .A.. tremendous task of reorienting .0. mankind towards building .A.. more humane future. It will be ..AN. extremely important challenge for .0.. generations to come'.

Whatever efforts I was doing , she looked at me as if she had never seen me and she acted as if she wouldn't want to know me
If only I had understood it was such a beautiful country , I would have been there sooner/ earlier and , of course , I would have stayed longer
There aren't any candies left and those are the only candies that I am authorized to eat ,
Could you buy me some more please?
Moreover looking at my answering , I was asked to do his work ,Don't you think he has a nerve .
I agree with you , A clown who has neither a red nose nor a cone-shaped hat is not worthy of the name ,,

a) I wonder why I have not seen my neighbour for so long
b) I have no reason why I should interfere with his business
c) It will be all the more pleasant as you'll share the journey with some nice friends

Thank you very much for this new exercise

Réponse: Exercice 18 /Variétés de lucile83, postée le 25-10-2014 à 22:36:14 (S | E)
Hello
Here is my try ..before the deadline.
Thank you for this exercise

1) Why didn't you bring back the key as I had asked you to ?
You should have brought back the key as you had been asked to.

2) It wasn't necessary to tell them you were sixty(years old), being a man on crutches was enough !
You didn’t have to tell them you were a sixty-year-old man, being on crutches was enough.

The relationships between the inhabitants of our planet and 0 Nature have become an acute and 0 universal problem nowadays. This reflects the tensions inherent to 0 modern civilisation. We have the tremendous task of reorienting 0 mankind towards building a more humane future. It will be an extremely important challenge for the generations to come'.

Whatever efforts I made, she looked at me as though she had never seen me and she had never felt like getting to know me!

I wish I had realised how beautiful that country was, so that I would have been there earlier, and, of course, I would have stayed there longer.

There are not any caramels left and they are the only sweets I am allowed to eat. Will you buy some more for me please?

Not only did he watch my solution but he also asked me to do his homework for him ! What a nerve!Don’t you think so?

I agree with you...A clown ,with neither a red nose or a pointed hat, is not worthy of the name…

9)Re-order:
a) I wonder why I have not seen my neighbour for so long.
b) There is no reason why I should interfere with his business.
c) The journey will be all the more pleasant as you’ll share it with some nice friend.

Réponse: Exercice 18 /Variétés de lakata, postée le 26-10-2014 à 09:35:53 (S | E)
Good morning, dear Here4u!

1) Why didn't you bring back the key as I asked you to?
You should have brought back the key as you'd been asked to!

2) It wasn't necessary to tell them you were sixty, being a man on crutches was enough.
You didn't need to tell them you were a sixty-year-old man, being on crutches was enough

3) Complete with : a/an/the/0
The relationships between the inhabitants of our planet and 0 Nature have become an acute and a universal problem nowadays. This reflects the tensions inherent to 0 modern civilisation. We have the tremendous task of reorienting 0 mankind towards building a more humane future. It will be an extremely important challenge for the generations to come.

4) Quels que soient les efforts que je faisais, elle me regardait comme si elle ne m'avait jamais vu et comme si elle n'avait pas envie de me connaître.
Despite trying my hardest / In spite of sparing no effort, she was staring at me as if she'd never seen me and ( as if she) didn't feel like meeting me.

5) Si seulement j'avais compris que c'était un si beau pays, j'y serais allé beaucoup plus tôt et, bien sûr, y serais resté plus longtemps.
If only I'd understood it was such a beautiful country, I would have been there much sooner and, of course, would have stayed there longer

There're no toffees / fudges left and they're the only sweets I'm allowed to eat. Could you buy some more, please ?
7) En plus de regarder ma solution, il a été jusqu'à me demander de lui faire son devoir ! Ne penses-tu pas qu'il a du toupet ?
Not only he tryed to crib my solution, but he dared/ went so far as to ask me to do his homework! Don't you think he's got some cheek?

8) Je suis d'accord avec toi...Un clown sans nez rouge et sans chapeau pointu n'est pas un clown digne de ce nom.
I agree with you*...A clown with neither red nose nor pointed hat can't be considered worthy of this name. * As far as I'm concerned, I do desagree...

9) Re-order so as to make correct sentences ( I can rack nothing as I've almost no brain left once at this part of that exercise, here4u...)

a) I wonder why I have not seen my neighbour for so long.
b) There is no reason why I should interfere with his business.
c) Out of ideas! This time, my brain must be out of order for good, I'm afraid!

Have a pleasant Sunday, with or without nice friend !

Réponse: Exercice 18 /Variétés de here4u, postée le 26-10-2014 à 09:41:32 (S | E)
Hello !
I've just started studying your productions ... Still time to post !
Have a good (sunny ?) Sunday !

Réponse: Exercice 18 /Variétés de here4u, postée le 29-10-2014 à 20:16:56 (S | E)
Hello, dear all !
Vous devez tous avoir reçu votre commentaire et certains m’ont re-proposé une « deuxième » version après réflexions sur mes remarques … Bravo à vous tous et merci !
N’hésitez cependant pas à poser vos questions (s’il en reste …).

I hope that the last part of ‘exercise 19’ won’t put you off ... If you don’t feel like racking and twisting your brains too much, you can always do without the sentences that annoy you too much …

1)Why didn't you bring back the key as I had asked you to ,?
You should have brought the key as you had been asked to.
Here ‘should’+ have + past participle expresses a reproach I am addressing ‘you’ who didn’t bring back the key I had asked you. In the passive => ‘You had been asked to.’

2) It wasn't necessary to tell them you were sixty(years old), being a man on crutches was enough !
You didn’t have to/ didn’t need to tell them you were a 60-year-old man, as you were on crutches.
Out of the 3 possibilities to express an absence of obligation, one, ‘Needn’t‘ can’t be used because the sentence is in the past and excludes ‘needn’t’

Compound adjective = a sixty-year-old man.
3) Complete with : a /an /the/ O/
THE relationships between THE inhabitants of our planet and.0.Nature have become AN acute and (A/0) universal problem nowadays. This reflects THE tensions inherent to 0.modern civilisation. We have THE tremendous task of reorienting 0 mankind towards building.A more humane future. It will be .AN extremely important challenge for (THE/0) generations to come'.
(Les doubles possibilités dépendent de l’interprétation du contexte et de variations ‘régionales’. Cet ex., très raccourci, est inspiré d’un exercice d’annales d’Ecoles de Commerce.)

No matter how much effort I was making, she was looking at me as if she had never seen me and as if/though she wasn’t feeling like knowing me./ was feeling like not knowing me.
Quels que soient = no matter how/what … // In spite of = Despite = En dépit de
Avoir envie de = to feel like knowing (une version est plus ‘aggressive’ que l’autre …)

If only I had understood that it was such a beautiful country, I would have gone there much earlier, and of course, I would have stayed much longer.
No particular difficulty ; this is an unreal fact which had happened in the past = irréel du passé= If + Past perfect => conditionnel du passé. ‘Had I understood …’ was possible but more formal.

6) Il n'y a plus de caramels et ce sont les seuls bonbons que j'aie le droit de manger.
There are no more toffees/caramels left and they are the only sweets/candies I’m allowed to eat.

7) En plus de regarder ma solution, il a été jusqu'à me demander de lui faire son devoir ! Ne penses- tu pas qu'il a du toupet !
Not only did he look at the solution I had found, but he also …//Besides looking at the solution I had found, he went as far as asking me to do his homework/ assignment ; Don’t you think he has a nerve ? !
Avec ‘Not only’, l’inversion du sujet est obligatoire (en suivant le temps, bien sûr !)

8) Je suis d'accord avec toi .... Un clown sans nez rouge et sans chapeau pointu n'est pas un clown digne de ce nom …
I agree with you : a clown without a red nose and a pointed hat is not worthy of the name …
La ‘difficulté’ résidait en l’emploi obligatoire des articles indéfinis (derrière ‘without’).

9)Re order so as to make correct sentences !…Rack your brains !
a) SEEN/WONDER//LONG/NEIGHBOUR/ I/I/SO/NOT/MY/FOR/HAVE/WHY
I wonder why I haven’t seen my neighbour for so long.
Je me demande pourquoi je n’ai pas vu mon voisin depuis si longtemps …
b) I/WITH/ REASON/SHOULD/IS/WHY/NO/HIS/THERE/BUSINESS/ INTERFERE
There’s no reason why I should interfere in his business.=Il n’y a aucune raison que vous vous mêliez de ses affaires !
c)MORE/WITH/YOU’LL/IT/THE/THE/ALL/AS/SHARE/FRIEND/JOURNEY/PLEASANT/NICE/BE/WILL/SOME/
The journey will be all the more pleasant as you’ll share it with some nice friend.
= Le voyage sera d’autant plus agréable que vous me partagerez avec un bon ami.
‘all the more + adjectif + as’= d'autant plus ... que.

Merci à tous d’avoir joué ( ) [bon, disons ‘travaillé’] avec moi ! et BRAVO pour vos efforts et vos progrès ! Bonne soirée !

Réponse: Exercice 18 /Variétés de notrepere, postée le 30-10-2014 à 03:27:26 (S | E)
Bonjour
Sorry for my tardiness, but I only had time to do the translations. J'ai bien vu la correction.

4) No matter what I did, she acted as though I were transparent and as though she wanted to have nothing to do with me!
5) If I had but realized what a beautiful country this was, I would have gone there sooner and I would have undoubtedly stayed longer.
6) There are no more caramels and these are the only candies I'm allowed to eat. Would you be a dear and buy me some more?
7) In addition to copying my answer, he went so far as to ask me to do his homework! He has some nerve!
8) I agree with you...a clown without a red nose and pointy hat is no clown at all!

Réponse: Exercice 18 /Variétés de lucile83, postée le 30-10-2014 à 10:03:42 (S | E)
     pour cet exercice!

Réponse: Exercice 18 /Variétés de koreen2012, postée le 30-10-2014 à 12:47:30 (S | E)
Coucou Here4u
Pour cet exercice et la correction individuelle et collective !
See you soon,

Réponse: Exercice 18 /Variétés de tereda, postée le 30-10-2014 à 16:57:37 (S | E)
for all !

Réponse: Exercice 18 /Variétés de lakata, postée le 30-10-2014 à 18:52:19 (S | E)
This joyful lucky ladybird to thank you, dear Here4u!

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Exercices du forum

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux