Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Choix/ temps

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais : Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Choix/ temps
Message de fab17 posté le 10-02-2021 à 22:26:45 (S | E | F)
Bonsoir,
Je travaille les temps et j'ai fait un exercice de choix des temps dans un dialogue.
Pourriez vous me corriger SVP s'il vous plait ?

Cathy :
What happened yesterday? We were supposed to have lunch together and you never arrived at the restaurant!

TIM :
Yes, I'm really sorry! My manager came into my office at the last moment and told me that a very important client was waiting for me at reception.

Cathy:
But why didn't you phone me to tell me that you couldn't come?

TIM :
Well, he hadn't told me that he had scheduled this appointment and what's more, I forgot my mobile phone at home, so I couldn't call you!

Cathy :
I sat in the restaurant waiting for you for over an hour and finally decoded to leave!

TIM :
I apologize. I was thinking about you during the entire lunch, and I didn’t know how to reach you.

Cathy :
That's OK, I understand. But I was really looking forward to having lunch together. I had reserved a table outside with a nice view.

TIM
So tomorrow, I'll invite you to lunch!

En vous remerciant.

------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 10-02-2021 22:51
Gris

Réponse : Choix/ temps de sherry48, postée le 10-02-2021 à 22:52:57 (S | E)
Hello.
It looks great, except I would use simple past for the first verb in this sentence: Well, he hadn't told me that he had scheduled this appointment...
Sherry

Réponse : Choix/ temps de gerondif, postée le 10-02-2021 à 23:53:10 (S | E)
Bonsoir
Cathy :
What happened yesterday? We were supposed to have lunch together and you never arrived at the restaurant!

TIM :
Yes, I'm really sorry! My manager came into my office at the last moment and told me that a very important client was waiting for me at reception.

Cathy:
But why didn't you phone me to tell me that you couldn't come?

TIM :
Well, he hadn't told me that he had scheduled this appointment and what's more, I forgot(non, vous êtes au bureau donc, vous aviez oublié votre téléphone avant de venir au bureau, I had forgotten my mobile) my mobile phone at home, so I couldn't call you!

Cathy :
I sat in the restaurant waiting for you for over an hour and finally decided to leave!

TIM :
I apologize. I was thinking (I kept thinking) about you during the entire lunch, and I didn’t know how to reach you.

Cathy :
That's OK, I understand. But I was really looking forward to having lunch together(pour avoir un "together", il faudrait un "we" avant on ne peut pas dire, je me réjouis à l'avance à l'idée d'être ensemble, je suis content d'être ensemble). I had reserved a table outside with a nice view.

TIM
So (ce donc me semble bizarre) tomorrow, I'll invite you to lunch! // I'll invite you to lunch tomorrow, I promise !

Réponse : Choix/ temps de sherry48, postée le 11-02-2021 à 15:32:05 (S | E)
Hello again.
Gerondif is a grammar expert and I am only an amateur. Although I sometimes disagree, it is usually due to British -American differences, and I think that is the case with the use of present perfect. American English often sees present perfect and simple past as interchangeable, using the past tense where British English would use the present perfect. While present perfect is for completed actions that have implications to the present or continue in the present, we sometimes give greater importance to how we view an action.
‘I have answered one question on the forum this week’ and ‘I answered one question on the forum this week’ are both correct for me, depending on how I view my action and what nuance I would like to give to my statement. I would use the former to indicate that the week is not over yet and I expect to answer more questions. I would use the latter if I wanted to convey that even though the entire week is not in the past, I do not plan to answer any more questions; in my mind the action is completed even though the period of time is not.
I would not add a subject pronoun in the object position in the sentence, “I was really looking forward to having lunch together.” To me it is fine as it is, but ‘our having lunch’ or ‘us having lunch’ is sometimes used. I hope this clarifies my previous comments, when I wasn't thinking about .
Sherry

Réponse : Choix/ temps de gerondif, postée le 12-02-2021 à 14:41:07 (S | E)
Bonjour, Sherry
Concernant la phrase :
he hadn't told me that he had scheduled this appointment,
je la comprends comme signifiant : He has forgotten to tell me that he had scheduled that appointment, et donc, l'antériorité me convient bien. En français, on entend souvent du "tu ne m'avais pas dit que tu venais" quand on est surpris par une visite à l'improviste.

Pour le together, on entend souvent les journalistes dire ou écrire "ils se sont réunis ensemble", ce qui réveille le râleur en moi qui dit alors "Ah bon ? Parce qu'on peut se réunir séparément ?"
Mais il est vrai que l'usage de "ensemble" ou "together" maltraite souvent la logique grammaticale.
Que "“I was really looking forward to having lunch together.” passe bien en anglais montre que le gérondif après to a valeur nominale, on se réjouit de ce repas commun en somme. J'aurais plutôt mis : “I was really looking forward to having lunch with you.”

Réponse : Choix/ temps de sherry48, postée le 13-02-2021 à 17:04:12 (S | E)
Hello Gerondif.
I agree with all that you wrote about the perfect tense. I only wanted to explain that American English is less insistent in this area of grammar. As a teacher, I would certainly want my students to recognize the grammatical rules for this type of situation, even though what they hear may sometimes be different.
My preference is, "Well, he didn’t tell me (until the last minute) that he had scheduled this appointment and what’s more, (since) I had forgotten my mobile phone, I couldn’t call you."
Sherry

Réponse : Choix/ temps de gerondif, postée le 13-02-2021 à 17:11:09 (S | E)
Hello Sherry
I did notice that Peter James, who had lived and worked in the USA before coming back to Brighton, often uses the preterite instead of the past perfect, so I sort of wince for a second when I read but well, who am I to go and tell him?

Réponse : Choix/ temps de fab17, postée le 13-02-2021 à 17:32:00 (S | E)
Bonjour,

Je vous remercie de vos réponses.

Bien à vous

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais : Questions sur l'anglais

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux