Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

<< Retour au forum || Aller tout en bas

Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais
Tout ce qui a un rapport avec l'apprentissage de l'anglais: grammaire, orthographe, aides aux devoirs, phrases etc.

CLIQUEZ ICI POUR REPONDRE A CE SUJET

Present perfect (continu) en questions
Message de frapedur posté le 23-03-2007 à 15:58:06 (S | E | F | I)

I have a problem, I don't know when I must use the present perfect and the present perfect continuous in questions.

I give an example:

If my answer is:

My parents have been married for twenty years.

My question will be: How long have your parents been married?

For this example, it's ok because I've got a present perfect tense in the answer and they're still married.

But in this sentence, the anwer is:

I've been running for half an hour!

The question will be: How long have you been running?

Here, it's ok, but can you explain to me when I must use the present perfect and the present perfect continuous in questions ?

It's not very clear to me, I can find the answer but I don't understand why I have to do it that way.

Thanks in advance! (I've tried to write a message in English, so, if there are some mistakes, it's a little logical )
-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 23-03-2007 18:16

Réponse: Present perfect (continu) en questions de frapedur, postée le 24-03-2007 à 08:40:33 (S | E)
If I would have an answer before Monday, it was SUPER!!!

Can you explain me???

Réponse: Present perfect (continu) en questions de aud18, postée le 24-03-2007 à 09:32:38 (S | E)
hi !
i think that you must use the present perfect continuous because to run is an action whereas get married is "something less concrete".
you know, you can't say "how long have your parents been marriing?"...get married is a state, like i've said before, less concrete than run .maybe if you want you can said " how long have your parents getting married" but it implies that they're no more married,that they break up...
run is an action, you move ( and you can see it )
i hope to have help you with my opinion.
have a nice day .

Réponse: Present perfect (continu) en questions de frapedur, postée le 24-03-2007 à 09:49:35 (S | E)
Thanks aud, in general, I must use present perfect continuous when the action is still running .

And the present perfet simple, the other time

Many thanks! ^^

Réponse: Present perfect (continu) en questions de nick27, postée le 24-03-2007 à 11:44:51 (S | E)
Hello Frapedur,

- How long have you been running?
- I've been running for half an hour.

That's correct. Here, you have to use the present perfect continuous because, as Aud previously said, this action (of running) was taking place or had just taken place when the person asked you how long you had been running.

You can also use the present pefect continuous when an action has a result. For example :

A girl has been running outside, then she gets back home, breathless. She could say to her mother "I'm so tired! I've been running outside."
This action is actually over because she got back home and so she's not running anymore but there's a result. She's breathless because she HAS BEEN RUNNING.

I don't quite agree with Aud on "How long have your parents getting married?"

First, it should have been "How long have your parents BEEN getting married".
Second, this sentence just doesn't make sense to me at all. To get married is the action of getting married okay but it can't be used in the present perfect continuous. It'd mean they've been getting married for a few days and it's just impossible.

In this case, I'd have said : How long have your parents been married?

Frapedur, these two tenses are quite tricky. You'll figure out how to use them through exercices

Hope it's helped.
Bye

Réponse: Present perfect (continu) en questions de aud18, postée le 24-03-2007 à 12:14:01 (S | E)
i was quite sure that my last example wasn't good
i've tried to find one with the use of present perfect continuous with the verb "marry"....the main thing is that frapedur has understand why we use it or not .

Réponse: Present perfect (continu) en questions de frapedur, postée le 24-03-2007 à 12:18:42 (S | E)
THANKS NICK fot his precisions. Now, I know all

Réponse: Present perfect (continu) en questions de nick27, postée le 24-03-2007 à 12:27:20 (S | E)
Frapedur => You're welcome

Aud => Don't worry. Yes, I think he's understood everything now.

Réponse: Present perfect (continu) en questions de willy54, postée le 24-03-2007 à 13:35:31 (S | E)
To answer the question about the use of the present perfect simple and continuous,I'd say:
Both can be used for one same context in which an action beginning in the past and still continuing in the present time,but with some difference in the length of the action.
e.g:-I have waited for you for a minute.
-I have been waiting for you for a minute.
In the first example ,the length of a minute isn't important for me whereas
in the second example it is important .It seems longer ,yet a minute is
a minute.
so, when we use the simple present perfect,we don't put emphasis on the length of the action whereas we do when we use the present perfect continuous.
On the other hand ,the present perfect simple can be used for recent past or past or future actions with: just, already and yet ,as shown in these examples: -He has just left.(means he left a short time ago)
-He has already left.(means he left a long time ago)
-He hasn't left yet.(means he is still here,perhaps he is going to
leave sooner or later.)

Réponse: Present perfect (continu) en questions de younes91, postée le 24-03-2007 à 20:16:11 (S | E)

Bonjour frapedur,
There is an explanation:

-You use the present perfect simple:
The form: has/have + past participle.
*Talk about an action which happened at some time in the past. We are not interested in when the action took place, but in the experience. You often use ever in questions and never in negative statements.
Have you ever been to
Brazil?
I've never been to
Brazil.
*When the action is finished, to say what has been completed in a period of time, often in reply to how much/many.
Lisa has written several novels.
*To talk about a past action which has a result in the present, such as a change. You often use just.
I have just arrived in
Brazil.

-You use the present perfect continuous:
The form: has/have been + -ing.
*To talk about an action which began in the past, continues up to the present, may or may not continue into the future, and to say how long something has been happening.
I have been waiting for the train for two hours.
You use since to say when the action or event began.
I have been living in
Brazil since 1990.
*To talk about actions and events which have been in progress up to the recent past that show the present results of past activity.
What's Mary been doing?
She's been cleaning the car.

I think that I was clear.
Good luck.
Younes

Réponse: Present perfect (continu) en questions de harrypotter, postée le 24-03-2007 à 20:42:18 (S | E)
younes pour la présentation !!!

alors frapedur ?

c'est compris ?

A+ !

Amicalement

Harrypotter

Réponse: Present perfect (continu) en questions de younes91, postée le 25-03-2007 à 22:00:09 (S | E)

Ex-voto harrypotter,
Je revendique que frapedur a bien saisi la leçon et, qu'il sait maintenant la dissemblance entre le "Present Perfect Simple" et le "Present Perfect Continuous".
Bonne suite.
Younes.

Réponse: Present perfect (continu) en questions de frapedur, postée le 29-03-2007 à 16:44:49 (S | E)
JE viens de voir vos messages et beaucoup pour votre aide.

younes pour ton plan parfait

Réponse: Present perfect (continu) en questions de younes91, postée le 29-03-2007 à 22:45:29 (S | E)
De rien frapedur et .
Si tu as un problème n'hésite pas à me le demander, mais au cas où c'est supérieur de mon niveau, tu peux biensur contacter d'autres membres.
Bonne continuation.

-------------------
Modifié par bridg le 29-03-2007 22:47
Merci d'arrêter de faire remonter le sujet pour vous congratuler tous les deux!!

CLIQUEZ ICI POUR REPONDRE A CE SUJET

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux