Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Autres exercices à vérifier

<< Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Autres exercices à vérifier
Message de bernard02 posté le 31-05-2010 à 00:23:14 (S | E | F)

Bonjour à toutes et à tous, je dois rendre les exercices suivants pour demain soir (lundi), pouvez-vous me dire s'ils sont corrects ou s'il y a des corrections et des améliorations à apporter? Je vous remercie d'avance.

- Use a sentence from A and a sentence from B to make a new sentence.

A1 I shouted.
A2 I had to go to the bank. B I want to keep warm.
A3 I'm saving money. B I wanted to report that my car had been stolen.
A4 I went into hospital. B I want to go to Canada.
A5 I'm wearing two pullovers. B I had to have an operation.
A6 I phoned the police station. B I needed to get some money.
B I wanted to warn people of the danger.

Example: 1 I shouted to warn people of the danger.

2 I had to go to the bank. → I had to go to the bank to get some money.
3 I'm saving money. → I'm saving money to go to Canada. 4 I went into hospital. → I went into hospital to have an operation.
5 I'm wearing two pullovers. → I'm wearing two pullovers to keep warm.
6 I phoned the police station. → I phoned the police station to report that my car had been stolen.

- Complete these sentences using a suitable verb.

Example: 1 The President has a team of bodyguards …........ him. → The President has a team of bodyguards to protect him.

2 I didn't have enough time ….......... the newspaper today. → I didn't have enough time to read the newspaper today.
3 I came home by taxi. I didn't have the energy …........... → I came home by taxi. I didn't have the energy to walk.
4 'Would you like something ...............?' 'Yes, please. A cup of coffee.'→ 'Would you like something to drink?' 'Yes, please. A cup of coffee.'
5 We need a bag ..............… these things in. → We need a bag to put these things in.
6 There will be a meeting next week …....... the problem. → There will be a meeting next week to solve the problem.
7 I wish we had enough money …........ a new car. → I wish we had enough money to buy a new car.
8 I saw Helen at the party but we didn't have a chance …..... to each other. → I saw Helen at the party but we didn't have a chance to speak to each other.
9 I need some new clothes. I haven't got anything nice ….......... → I need some new clothes. I haven't got anything nice to wear.
10 They've just passed their exams. They're having a party ….......... → They've just passed their exams. They're having a party to celebrate.
11 I can't do all this work alone. I need somebody …........ me. → I can't do all this work alone. I need somebody to help me.

Put in to or for.

Example: 1 I'm going to Spain …... a holiday. → I'm going to Spain for a holiday.

2 You need a lot of experience ….... this job. → You need a lot of experience for this job.
3 You need a lot of experience ….... do this job. → You need a lot of experience to do this job.
4 We'll need more time …... make a decision. → We'll need more time to make a decision.
5 I went to the dentist's …... a check-up. → I went to the dentist's for a check-up.
6 I had to put on my glasses …..... read the letter. → I had to put on my glasses to read the letter.
7 Do you wear glasses …..... reading? → Do you wear glasses for reading?
8 I wish we had a garden …..... the children ….... play in. → I wish we had a garden for the children to play in.

- Write sentences with so that.

Example: 1 I hurried. I didn't want to be late. → I hurried so that I wouldn't be late.

2 We wore warm clothes. We didn't want to get cold. → We wore warm clothes so that we wouldn't get cold.
3 The man spoke very slowly. He wanted me to understand what he said. → The man spoke very slowly so that I could understand what he said.

Réponse: Autres exercices à vérifier de bernard02, postée le 31-05-2010 à 00:28:26 (S | E)
SUITE ET FIN.

- Write sentences with so that.

Example: 1 I hurried. I didn't want to be late. → I hurried so that I wouldn't be late.

4 I whispered. I didn't want anybody else to hear our conversation. → I whispered so that anybody else could hear our conversation.
5 Please arrive early. We want to be able to start the meeting on time. → Please arrive early so that we'll be able to start the meeting on time.
6 She locked the door. She didn't want to be disturbed. → She locked the door so that she wouldn't be disturbed.
7 I slowed down. I wanted the car behind to be able to overtake. → I slowed down so that the car behind could overtake.

Réponse: Autres exercices à vérifier de gerondif, postée le 31-05-2010 à 00:37:58 (S | E)
Bonsoir,
tout me semble correct sauf:

4 I whispered. I didn't want anybody else to hear our conversation. → I whispered so that nobody else could hear our conversation.
5 Please arrive early. We want to be able to start the meeting on time. → Please arrive early so that we can (me parait plus adéquat)we'll be able to start the meeting on time.

Réponse: Autres exercices à vérifier de gerondif, postée le 31-05-2010 à 18:22:15 (S | E)
"suite à votre réponse au point 5 de mon dernier post (so that we can au lieu de so that we'll be able to), puis-je en conclure que so that n'est jamais suivi du futur, même si la proposition principale est au futur (idem when ou as soon as )? Par ailleurs, pouvez-vous me confirmer que je n'ai vraiment pas fait d'erreur en choisissant so that -- could(couldn't) ou so that --- would(wouldn't)dans les phrases au passé (dans le dernier exercice 'so that')?"

Bonsoir,
en réponse à votre mail,ma grammaire Berland Delépine me dit , paragraphe 403 que:
so that est suivi de may/might (couramment remplacés par can/could) ou de should. Le futur (we'll be able)ne me parait pas correct, peut-être parce que c'est un pur futur de pouvoir sans nuance de volonté. Would ne parait convenir dans vos autres phrases, à cause de cette nuance de volonté qu'il exprime .
Mais j'avoue que cette aversion à votre "we'll be able to" est instinctive plus que raisonnée.

Réponse: Autres exercices à vérifier de notrepere, postée le 31-05-2010 à 19:48:17 (S | E)
Hello Gérondif, are you causing trouble?

The BBC says "so that" or "in order that" is usually used with modal auxiliary verbs.

Lien Internet

This includes "will". Am I understanding correctly?

Please arrive early so that we'll be able to start the meeting on time.

Réponse: Autres exercices à vérifier de gerondif, postée le 31-05-2010 à 19:59:01 (S | E)
Hello notrepère, (You remind me of De Niro in "Taxi-driver": You're talking to me ????)

I would agree that so that can be followed by a modal, it is just that "will be able to" is for me a pure future, but as I said, I don't know why I feel allergic to it, that's why I said it doesn't look correct to me, expecting other points of view. Maybe I am influenced by the French where we can't say: "afin que je pourrai", we have to say: dépêchez-vous afin que nous puissions démarrer à l'heure."

for me, will is a modal only if it conveys a notion of will (la volonté)
In a sentence like :I'll come at 5" it's just an auxiliary verb for the future. A débattre!!

I have to leave now so that I can swim. See you in two hours !

Réponse: Autres exercices à vérifier de notrepere, postée le 31-05-2010 à 21:16:41 (S | E)
Hello Gér,

Only a grammar teacher would *correct* a slang expression:

"You talking to me?"

How about this:

Please arrive early so that we are able to start the meeting on time

Of course, "be able to" is often used instead of "can"

Lien Internet

Lien Internet

But the more I read the original statement, the more I am bothered by the future tense too.

Réponse: Autres exercices à vérifier de bernard02, postée le 01-06-2010 à 01:45:39 (S | E)
Bonjour,

je vous remercie pour vos réponses.

J'ai rendu ces exercices ce soir, après les avoir seulement modifiés en fonction de la première réponse de 'gerondif' (soit 'so that nobody' au lieu de 'so that anybody' et 'so that we can' au lieu de 'so that we'll be able').

Il en résulte que j'ai obtenu un "sans faute" sur l'ensemble de ces exercices.
Pour ce qui est de l'emploi de 'can' ou de 'be able to' dans le cas particulier qui semble faire débat, ma professeur d'Anglais nous a simplement dit que les 2 options étaient correctes. Pour ce qui concerne le passé, sauf erreur de ma part, il me semble qu'elle nous a dit que les 2 options 'could' ou 'would' étaient correctes, sauf à la forme négative où le 'would' serait impératif.

J'espère que j'ai bien tout retenu?

Cordialement.

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

<< Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux