Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Exercises to check

<< Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Exercises to check
Message de bernard02 posté le 19-06-2010 à 05:05:48 (S | E | F)

Bonjour à toutes et à tous,
je dois rendre les exercices suivants pour lundi, pouvez-vous me dire s'ils sont corrects ou s'il y a des corrections et des améliorations à apporter?
Mes réponses sont après les flèches. Je vous remercie d'avance.
Exercises for the twenty-first of June 2010.

Complete each sentence using only one word.
Example: 1 Our neighbours apologised for …............. so much noise.
→ Our neighbours apologised for making so much noise.
2 I feel lazy. I don't feel like …....... any work. → I feel lazy. I don't feel like looking for any work.
3 I wanted to go out alone but Joe insisted on …......... with me. → I wanted to go out alone but Joe insisted on going with me.
4 I'm fed up with my job. I'm thinking of …............ something else. → I'm fed up with my job. I'm thinking of applying for something else.
5 We have decided against …........ a new car because we can't really afford it. → We have decided against buying a new car because we can't really afford it.
6 I hope you write to me soon. I'm looking forward to ….......... from you. → I hope you write to me soon. I'm looking forward to having news from you.
7 The weather was extremely bad and this prevented us from …....... out. → The weather was extremely bad and this prevented us from going out.
8 The man who has been arrested is suspected of …......... a false passport. → The man who has been arrested is suspected of having a false passport.
9 I think you should apologise to Sue for …...... so rude to her. → I think you should apologise to Sue for being so rude to her.
10 Some parents don't approve of their children …....... a lot of television. → Some parents don't approve of their children looking to a lot of television.
11 I'm sorry I can't come to your party but thank you very much for …....... me. → I'm sorry I can't come to your party but thank you very much for inviting me.
- Complete the sentences using a preposition + one of the following verbs (in the correct form): cause escape go help interrupt live play solve spend walk
Example: 1 Do you feel …......... out this evening? → Do you feel like going out this evening?
2 It took us a long time but we finally succeeded …....... the problem. → It took us a long time but we finally succeeded in solving the problem.
3 I've always dreamed …....... in a small house by the sea. → I've always dreamed of living in a small house by the sea.
4 The driver of the other car accused me …........ the accident. → The driver of the other car accused me of causing the accident.
5 There was a fence around the lawn to stop people …....... on the grass. → There was a fence around the lawn to stop people from walking on the grass.
6 Forgive me …........ you but may I ask you something? → Forgive me for interrupting you but may I ask you something?
7 Where are you thinking …......... your holiday this year? → Where are you thinking of spending your holiday this year?
8 The guards weren't able to prevent the prisoner …............ → The guards weren't able to prevent the prisoner from escaping.
9 I wanted to cook the meal by myself but Dave insisted …........ me. → I wanted to cook the meal by myself but Dave insisted on helping me.
10 I'm sorry we've had to cancel our game of tennis tomorrow. I was really looking forward …....... → I'm sorry we've had to cancel our game of tennis tomorrow. I was really looking forward to playing.

Réponse: Exercises to check de bernard02, postée le 19-06-2010 à 05:07:23 (S | E)
Suite et fin:

- Complete the sentences:
Example: 1 George says to you: 'It was nice of you to help me. Thanks very much.'. George thanked …........... → George thanked me for helping him.
2 Tom says to Ann: 'I'll drive you to the station. I insist.'. Tom insisted …........ → Tom insisted on driving Ann to the station.
3 Jim says to you: 'I hear you passed your exam. Congratulations!'. Jim congratulated me …....... → Jim congratulated me for passing my exam.
4 Mrs Bond says to Sue: 'It was nice of you to come to see me. Thank you.'. Mrs Bond thanked …................. → Mrs Bond thanked Sue for coming to see her.
5 You say to Jack: 'Don't stay at the hotel near the airport.'. I warned …......... → I warned Jack against staying at the hotel near the airport.
6 Mary says to you: 'I'm sorry I didn't phone you earlier.'. Mary apologised …....... → Mary apologised to me for not phoning me earlier.
7 Jane says to you: 'You're selfish.' → Jane accused …............. → Jane accused me of being selfish.

Réponse: Exercises to check de lucile83, postée le 19-06-2010 à 21:52:00 (S | E)
Hello,

Il faudrait revoir:
1e exercice : la 2/3/4/10

Bon travail!

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 20-06-2010 08:56

Réponse: Exercises to check de gerondif, postée le 20-06-2010 à 00:43:45 (S | E)
Bonsoir,

2 I feel lazy. I don't feel like looking for any work.(verbe faire?)
3 → I wanted to go out alone but Joe insisted on going with me.(venir?)
4 I'm fed up with my job. I'm thinking of applying for something else.(faire?)
5 We have decided against buying a new car because we can't really afford it.
6 I hope you write to me soon. I'm looking forward to having news from you.(la formule consacrée utilise le verbe hear from au sens de avoir des nouvelles de
7 The weather was extremely bad and this prevented us from going out.
8 The man who has been arrested is suspected of having a false passport.
9 I think you should apologise to Sue for being so rude to her.
10 Some parents don't approve of their children looking to a lot of television.(to look at: regarder l'aspect de. to watch: surveiller les mouvements de et donc regarder la télé)
11 I'm sorry I can't come to your party but thank you very much for inviting me.
- Complete the sentences using a preposition + one of the following verbs (in the correct form): cause escape go help interrupt live play solve spend walk
Example: 1 Do you feel …......... out this evening? → Do you feel like going out this evening?
2 It took us a long time but we finally succeeded in solving the problem.
3 I've always dreamed of living in a small house by the sea.
4 The driver of the other car accused me of causing the accident.
5 There was a fence around the lawn to stop people from walking on the grass.
6 Forgive me for interrupting you but may I ask you something?
7 Where are you thinking of spending your holiday this year?
8 The guards weren't able to prevent the prisoner from escaping.
9 wanted to cook the meal by myself but Dave insisted on helping me.
10 I'm sorry we've had to cancel our game of tennis tomorrow. I was really looking forward to playing.

Tom insisted on driving Ann to the station.
3 Jim congratulated me for passing my exam.(double click pour la bonne préposition, mais je l'avais mis en bleu car tout à fait compréhensible, Lucile a approfondi les recherches et indiqué la solution plus bas)
4 Mrs Bond thanked …................. → Mrs Bond thanked Sue for coming to see her.
5 I warned …......... → I warned Jack against staying at the hotel near the airport.
6 Mary apologised …....... → Mary apologised to me for not phoning me earlier.
7 Jane accused me of being selfish.

Réponse: Exercises to check de lucile83, postée le 20-06-2010 à 09:01:49 (S | E)
Hello,

In fact there is a little difference between 'for' and 'on':

congratulate somebody on something
She congratulated me warmly on my exam results.
congratulate somebody for (doing) something
All three are to be congratulated for doing so well.

Lien Internet

Here it would be better to use 'for' ( ex 3 q 3 ).
I modified my previous answer then.

Nothing is better than a reliable dictionary.

Réponse: Exercises to check de bernard02, postée le 21-06-2010 à 02:42:59 (S | E)
Bonjour,
Je vous remercie de votre aide. Voici la version définitive, que je vais rendre, en fonction de vos réponses. N'hésitez-pas à me signaler toute nouvelle erreur à rectifier ou toute amélioration à apporter. Je vous remercie d'avance. Complete each sentence using only one word.
Example: 1 Our neighbours apologised for …............. so much noise.
→ Our neighbours apologised for making so much noise.
2 I feel lazy. I don't feel like …....... any work. → I feel lazy. I don't feel like doing any work.
3 I wanted to go out alone but Joe insisted on …......... with me. → I wanted to go out alone but Joe insisted on coming with me.
4 I'm fed up with my job. I'm thinking of …............ something else. → I'm fed up with my job. I'm thinking of doing something else.
5 We have decided against …........ a new car because we can't really afford it. → We have decided against buying a new car because we can't really afford it.
6 I hope you write to me soon. I'm looking forward to ….......... from you. → I hope you write to me soon. I'm looking forward to having news from you.
7 The weather was extremely bad and this prevented us from …....... out. → The weather was extremely bad and this prevented us from going out.
8 The man who has been arrested is suspected of …......... a false passport. → The man who has been arrested is suspected of having a false passport.
9 I think you should apologise to Sue for …...... so rude to her. → I think you should apologise to Sue for being so rude to her.
10 Some parents don't approve of their children …....... a lot of television. → Some parents don't approve of their children watching to a lot of television.
11 I'm sorry I can't come to your party but thank you very much for …....... me. → I'm sorry I can't come to your party but thank you very much for inviting me.
2 It took us a long time but we finally succeeded …....... the problem. → It took us a long time but we finally succeeded in solving the problem.
3 I've always dreamed …....... in a small house by the sea. → I've always dreamed of living in a small house by the sea.
4 The driver of the other car accused me …........ the accident. → The driver of the other car accused me of causing the accident.
5 There was a fence around the lawn to stop people …....... on the grass. → There was a fence around the lawn to stop people from walking on the grass.
6 Forgive me …........ you but may I ask you something? → Forgive me for interrupting you but may I ask you something?
7 Where are you thinking …......... your holiday this year? → Where are you thinking of spending your holiday this year?
8 The guards weren't able to prevent the prisoner …............ → The guards weren't able to prevent the prisoner from escaping.
9 I wanted to cook the meal by myself but Dave insisted …........ me. → I wanted to cook the meal by myself but Dave insisted on helping me.
10 I'm sorry we've had to cancel our game of tennis tomorrow. I was really looking forward …....... → I'm sorry we've had to cancel our game of tennis tomorrow. I was really looking forward to playing.
- Complete the sentences:
Example: 1 George says to you: 'It was nice of you to help me. Thanks very much.'. George thanked …........... → George thanked me for helping him.
2 Tom says to Ann: 'I'll drive you to the station. I insist.'. Tom insisted …........ → Tom insisted on driving Ann to the station.
3 Jim says to you: 'I hear you passed your exam. Congratulations!'. Jim congratulated me …....... → Jim congratulated me for passing my exam.
Vous ne m'aviez fait aucune remarque pour les questions 4 à 7 de l'exercice 3.

Réponse: Exercises to check de notrepere, postée le 21-06-2010 à 03:20:53 (S | E)
Hello!

First exercise, #6, you should use the verb "to hear" as Gerondif already pointed out. (And also because the directions state that you are to use only one word! "having news" is two words)

-------------------
Modifié par notrepere le 21-06-2010 03:22
You are right, Lucile, there is a clear choice between 'for' and 'on' and 'for' does appear to be the correct choice. I deleted my previous post so as to not cause confusion.

Réponse: Exercises to check de may, postée le 21-06-2010 à 03:25:26 (S | E)
Bonsoir,

3 I wanted to go out alone but Joe insisted on …......... with me. → I wanted to go out alone but Joe insisted on coming along with me.

6 I hope you write to me soon. I'm looking forward to ….......... from you. → I hope you write to me soon. I'm looking forward to ( hearing ) from you

10 Some parents don't approve of their children …....... a lot of television. → Some parents don't approve of their children watching to a lot of television

Tous les autres sont bons

Bonne chance,

-------------------
Modifié par may le 21-06-2010 03:31

-------------------
Modifié par may le 21-06-2010 03:32

-------------------
Modifié par may le 21-06-2010 03:34

Réponse: Exercises to check de lucile83, postée le 21-06-2010 à 07:43:43 (S | E)
Hello,
6 I hope you write to me soon. I'm looking forward to ….......... from you. → I hope you write to me soon. I'm looking forward to having news hearing from you.

10 Some parents don't approve of their children …....... a lot of television. → Some parents don't approve of their children watching to a lot of television. watching a lot of television

Pas de remarques = pas de fautes

Best wishes.

Réponse: Exercises to check de notrepere, postée le 21-06-2010 à 15:01:30 (S | E)
Hello May!

You added an extra word to #3 in the first exercise. The directions state that you may use only one word. The word "along" is unnecessary.

Cordialement

Réponse: Exercises to check de bernard02, postée le 21-06-2010 à 17:00:04 (S | E)
Bonjour et merci à vous,

j'ai corrigé le 6 et le 10 du premier exercice (hearing, and watching).

Réponse: Exercises to check de bernard02, postée le 21-06-2010 à 20:23:12 (S | E)
Good evening,

I inform you about my definitive results of all these exercises of this week, after the correction of our professor, this evening: one mistake.
Indeed, she told me that I'd have written " Jim congratulated me ON passing my exam " instead of " Jim congratulated for passing my exam " in 3 of the third exercise. I am not sure that you agree to confirm that I really did an error!

I thank you once again.

Réponse: Exercises to check de notrepere, postée le 21-06-2010 à 20:43:53 (S | E)
Hello Bernard. I think I may have steered everyone in the wrong direction as both Gerondif and Lucile recognized this error. One of the following pages specifically recommends "for". The other is somewhat ambiguous, so I think it's one of those grey (or gray) areas, much like the use of apostrophes. There could also be differences between British and American usage also. I am going to go sit down in the back of the class now.

"We congratulate people on their promotion, and for being promoted."
Lien Internet

Lien Internet

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

<< Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux