Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

What or which

<< Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

What or which
Message de babeth54 posté le 17-12-2010 à 22:48:15 (S | E | F)
Bonsoir,
Est ce que l'utilisation de which et what est correct :
In the 19th century a few people succeeded in flying in balloons. But it wasn't until the beginning of the next century that anybody was able to fly in a machine which was heavier than air, in other words, in what we now call a "plane".
Merci de votre aide
Babeth

Réponse: What or which de lucile83, postée le 17-12-2010 à 23:00:35 (S | E)
Hello,

Oui tout est correct.
which est le relatif dont l'antécédent est 'machine'
what signifie ce que, pronom complément d'objet

Regards.

Réponse: What or which de notrepere, postée le 17-12-2010 à 23:11:23 (S | E)
Hello Babath:

In my opinion, because "was heavier than air" is a restrictive clause, you should use "that", but many authorities say you can use either that or which.

Réponse: What or which de babeth54, postée le 17-12-2010 à 23:11:48 (S | E)
Merci pour votre aide.

Babeth

Réponse: What or which de babeth54, postée le 17-12-2010 à 23:14:56 (S | E)
Voici les choix que j'ai :

But it wasn't until the beginning of the this / next / last century that anybody
were / is / was able to fly in a machine
who / which / what was heavier than air, in other words, in
who / which / what we now call a "plane". The first people to achieve
"powered flight" were the Wright brothers.

Réponse: What or which de notrepere, postée le 18-12-2010 à 00:09:51 (S | E)
Bonjour:

Well, in this case, Lucile is because you have to choose "which was heavier...". The other confusion is choosing between "the last century" and "the next century". Since the sentence starts with "In the 19th century...", one can argue that the "next century" would be the 20th century and that would be the correct answer. But one could also say, from today's perspective in the 21st century, that "the last century" (i.e. the 20th century) is also correct.

Because "this" is clearly wrong, I would say "the last century" is correct, but it is confusing.

Cordialement

Réponse: What or which de traviskidd, postée le 18-12-2010 à 02:28:17 (S | E)
Actually, "that" is the proper relative pronoun that should be used instead of "which", which is usually preceded by a comma.

Réponse: What or which de lucile83, postée le 18-12-2010 à 09:09:10 (S | E)
Thanks np

Travis, I don't quite agree with you as 'which' is preceded by a comma when it sums up what was said before.
I don't like the book which I am reading
I don't like the book, which will get me into trouble for my next exam

Best wishes!

Réponse: What or which de traviskidd, postée le 19-12-2010 à 15:57:20 (S | E)

I don't like the book that I am reading!!

Réponse: What or which de lucile83, postée le 19-12-2010 à 16:09:00 (S | E)
Yes travis but 'that' was not among the possible relative pronouns.

Réponse: What or which de traviskidd, postée le 19-12-2010 à 16:14:02 (S | E)
Well, then it's a bad question! Although I grant that "which" is sometimes used in this way, it is nevertheless not really correct.

Réponse: What or which de babeth54, postée le 19-12-2010 à 18:10:36 (S | E)
Bonsoir
Voici le texte complet Pouvez vous me dire si mes réponses sont ok?

The history of aeroplane / the aeroplane / an aeroplane is
quite a / a quite / quite short one. For many centuries men
are trying / try / had tried to fly, but with
little / few / a little success. In the 19th century a few people
succeeded to fly / in flying / into flying in balloons. But it wasn't until
the beginning of the this / next / last century that anybody
were / is / was able to fly in a machine
who / which / what was heavier than air, in other words, in
who / which / what we now call a "plane". The first people to achieve
"powered flight" were the Wright brothers. His / Their / Theirs
was the machine which was the forerunner of the jumbo jets
that are such / such a / so common sight today
They could / should / couldn't hardly have imagined that in 1969
not much / not many / no much more than half a century later,
a man will be / had been / would be walking on the moon.
Already a man / man / the man is taking the first steps towards the stars.
Space satellites have now existed since / during / for around
half a century and we are dependent from / of / on them for all kinds of informations / information / an information. Not only are they / they are / there are being used for scientific research in space, but also to see what kind of weather is coming / comes / coming.
By 2008 there would / must / will have been satellites in space for fifty years and the "space superpowers" will be having / making / letting
massive space stations built. When these will be / are / will have been
completed it will be the first time when / where / that astronauts will be able to work in space in large numbers. Apart / For / Except all that at / that one of the flying bicycle, which the world saw on television
flying / to fly / fly across the Channel from England to France, with nothing
apart / but / than a man to power it. As the bicycle-flyer said,
"It's the first time I realize / I've realized / I am realizing what hard work it is to be a bird!";

The history of the aeroplane is quite a short one. For many centuries men
had tried to fly, but with little success. In the 19th century a few people succeeded in flying in balloons. But it wasn't until the beginning of the next century that anybody was able to fly in a machine which was heavier than air, in other words, in what we now call a "plane". The first people to achieve
"powered flight" were the Wright brothers. Theirs was the machine which was the forerunner of the jumbo jets that are such a common sight today
They could hardly have imagined that in 1969 not much more than half a century later, a man would be walking on the moon. Already a man is taking the first steps towards the stars. Space satellites have now existed around
half a century and we are dependent on them for all kinds of information .Not only are they being used for scientific research in space, but also to see what kind of weather comes;
By 2008 there will have been satellites in space for fifty years and the "space superpowers" will be making massive space stations built. When these will will have been completed it will be the first time that astronauts will be able to work in space in large numb

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 19-12-2010 19:26
Bug police réparé

Votre texte n'a pas pu être écrit en entier apparemment.

Réponse: What or which de jonquille, postée le 19-12-2010 à 18:18:44 (S | E)
Hello!

I agree with Traviskidd! Although I, too, have heard "which" used in such situations, I would normally use "that."

jonquille

Réponse: What or which de willy, postée le 19-12-2010 à 18:32:22 (S | E)
Hello!

Les solutions se trouvent en dernière page :

Lien Internet

Réponse: What or which de babeth54, postée le 19-12-2010 à 18:33:36 (S | E)
So great Willy.

Réponse: What or which de notrepere, postée le 20-12-2010 à 05:58:43 (S | E)
Hello!

However, the answer to #26 is no longer "this". This test must have been created in the 20th century. Now, we must say the "last" century.

Hey Travis, it would be helpful if you could explain why "that" is the correct answer over "which". Are you using the restrictive/non-restrictive clause rule? What grammar sources are you using?

-------------------
Modifié par notrepere le 20-12-2010 15:22

Réponse: What or which de babeth54, postée le 20-12-2010 à 08:56:26 (S | E)
Thank you NotrePere, I am doing this test tomorrow with my Englih teacher. I will reply Last!
Have a good day.

Réponse: What or which de traviskidd, postée le 20-12-2010 à 16:41:54 (S | E)
Hello NP.

Yes I believe I am using the rule that says you use "that" with a restrictive clause and "which" with a non-restrictive clause.

My source? A writing course I took years ago ... from a math professor!

Réponse: What or which de willy, postée le 20-12-2010 à 17:24:48 (S | E)
Hello!

"That" in a restrictive relative clause, also called "defining relative clause, identifying relative clause".

"We very often use "that" in identifying relative clauses instead of the other relative pronouns, especially in conversational style" (Michael Swan in "Practical English Usage", OUP).

NB : "Non-identifying relative clauses are rather unusual in conversation. In written English, such a clause is separated from its noun by a comma because it is not a necessary part of the meaning of the noun ; there is another comma after the clause if the sentence continues." (idem)

Lien Internet

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

<< Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux