Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

BBC/HIV aids

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

BBC/HIV aids
Message de moonlit-sunset posté le 05-06-2011 à 21:07:07 (S | E | F)
Hello everybody !

Could you please help me with the coloured expressions below ?
I did a transcription of a video
Lien Internet
but I have problems with some words / expressions. Of course, there may be mistakes elsewhere in the text !
Thank you in advance.

----------
These pills are the difference between life and death. INGENIO internation reasearch suggests they almost completely prevent the HIV virus being passed on. Some 6 million people with HIV in poorer countries benefit from their protection but 9 million who could benefit don't. The UN's aid organization says it can reach everyone if governments pledge more money. But that seems unlikely in the current economic climate.

"We are scared. If we don't have the resources, even the 6.6 million people who are on treatment will start to stop it and we know that today we'll stop them dying and that's why, I think, this global solidarity needs to continue, to be active. If not, we will have a major problem."

The hard part is getting the drugs plus the health information and then monitoring and testing capacity to the poorest countries in the world. The cost will be 6 billion dollars a year, on top of the 16 already being spent. But campaigners say it's worth spending the money now to get a grip on the epidemic and reduce the cost of treatment in the future.

"If we don't invest now, it's an infectious disease, it keeps on going, so we really have a turning point : will we say "do it, take the path, we'll invest a bit more now, and what that gets us is break the back of the epidemic and if we do that, then we will succeed.

Next week, the UN general assembly will hold a special session on HIV and aids. Governments can look back on a decade of major progress, but they'll also have to answer big questions about how much they are prepared to pay to change the future course of the epidemic.
-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 05-06-2011 21:10
-------------------
Modifié par moonlit-sunset le 06-06-2011 09:36

Réponse: BBC/HIV aids de notrepere, postée le 05-06-2011 à 21:41:34 (S | E)
Hello
These pills are the difference between life and death. INGENIO And new international research suggests they almost completely prevent the HIV virus being passed on. Some 6 million people with HIV in poorer countries benefit from their protection but 9 million who could benefit don't. The UN's aid organization says it can reach everyone if governments pledge more money. But that seems unlikely in the current economic climate.

"We are scared. If we don't have the resources, even the 6.6 million people who are on treatment will start to stop it and we know that today we'll stop them dying and that's why, I think, this global solidarity needs to continue, to be active. If not, we will have a major problem."

The hard part is getting the drugs plus the health information and then monitoring and testing capacity to the poorest countries in the world. The cost will be 6 billion dollars a year, on top of the 16 already being spent. But campaigners say it's worth spending the money now to get a grip on the epidemic and reduce the cost of treatment in the future.

"If we don't invest now, it's an infectious disease, it keeps on going, so we really have we're really at a turning point : will where we say "do it, we take the path, we'll where we invest a bit more now, and what that gets us is it breaks the back of the epidemic and if we do that, then we will succeed.

Next week, the UN general assembly will hold a special session on HIV and aids. Governments can look back on a decade of major progress, but they'll also have to answer big questions about how much they are prepared to pay to change the future course of the epidemic.

Réponse: BBC/HIV aids de moonlit-sunset, postée le 05-06-2011 à 22:11:43 (S | E)
Thank you notrepere, very helpful as usual ! I hope you're not bored with me
Could you please explain me the part "and what that gets us is it breaks the back of the epidemic ", I understand neither the meaning, nor the sentence structure.
Many thanks
Moonlit-Sunset

Réponse: BBC/HIV aids de gerondif, postée le 05-06-2011 à 22:40:04 (S | E)
Hello,
you have to understand the sentence from the beginning:

"Do we take the path where we invest a bit more now, and what that gets us is it breaks the back of the epidemic and if we do that, then we will succeed.

I won't translate it but give you a sentence with an equivalent meaning:

Do we decide to invest a little more money, which would as a result destroy the epidemic and if we did that, then we would succeed.

I agree that the original structure is awkward:

what that gets us = what it gives us= what it entails = the result will be
it breaks the back of the epidemic: it is a simple image: to break the back(back being a part of the body): to kill, to destroy, in French an equivalent would be "tordre le cou", the result being the same as regards the spine !

Réponse: BBC/HIV aids de notrepere, postée le 06-06-2011 à 08:40:14 (S | E)
Hello
Well if gérondif won't try to translate it, then I won't either. The back is our "support". It is what "holds us up(right)". When the back is broken, that breaks the support or the thing that is holding us (or in this case "it - the disease") up. Breaking the back takes out the support and makes it collapse. I hope this helps.

Réponse: BBC/HIV aids de moonlit-sunset, postée le 06-06-2011 à 12:44:40 (S | E)
Thank you for your answers. Actually my problem was more with "what that gets us is", it was the first time I had seen this expression. But I understand it now, thanks to your explanations.

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux