Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Position mot/ phrase

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Position mot/ phrase
Message de fido05 posté le 06-06-2012 à 15:06:47 (S | E | F)
Bonjour,

Je voudrais traduire la phrase suivante: "le groupe ALGE (ALignement et GEodesie) est un groupe..."
Faut-il écrire en anglais: "The ALGE group is ..." ou "the group ALGE is..."
Merci de vos réponses.

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 06-06-2012 17:46

Réponse: Position mot/ phrase de gerondif, postée le 06-06-2012 à 17:40:48 (S | E)
Bonjour,

"The ALGE group is" . nom composé. l'élément adjectival vient en premier:

Réponse: Position mot/ phrase de fido05, postée le 06-06-2012 à 19:03:10 (S | E)
Merci pour votre réponse!

Réponse: Position mot/ phrase de traviskidd, postée le 08-06-2012 à 05:11:05 (S | E)
Hello.

I have to disagree with gerondif here. In this case "ALGE" is the (abbreviated) name of the group, not an adjective. I would say "The group ALGE" which is a shorter way of saying "The group called/named/[known as] ALGE".

See you.

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 08-06-2012 07:29

Réponse: Position mot/ phrase de gerondif, postée le 08-06-2012 à 16:54:38 (S | E)
Hello,

1) in compound nouns , the first word is the adjectival one even if it is not an adjective in itself: The Ford group, the Siemens company, The UFO experts....

2) Look at what I found on Google when typing ALGE group:

Association of Local Government Ecologists (ALGE) - Wales. An active ALGE group exists in Wales with approximately 30 members distributed throughout 22 ...

Although ALGE means here: "Association of Local Government Ecologists",they do say: "An active ALGE group"

Réponse: Position mot/ phrase de traviskidd, postée le 09-06-2012 à 00:42:00 (S | E)
Yes but in the case of "An active ALGE group", the term "ALGE" is no longer being used to present the name of the group. Instead it denotes the affiliation of the group that meets in Wales.

"An active AGLE group" = An active group affiliated with AGLE

As another example, let's look at the following two questions:

Have you seen the new movie "Batman"?
Have you seen the new "Batman" movie?

In the first case, the speaker is telling you that there is a new movie called "Batman" and asking if you have seen it.

In the second case, the speaker is telling you that there is a series of movies relating to "Batman" (such as "Batman" "Batman 2" and "Batman 3: Batman Returns" for example), that a new movie has been added to this series, and asking if you have seen it.

And to respond to your comment 1), "the group ALGE" is not a compound noun, any more than "my friend gerondif" is.

See you.

Réponse: Position mot/ phrase de gerondif, postée le 09-06-2012 à 18:34:39 (S | E)
Hello,
I see your point with Batman !
I would then say: my group, (called) ALGE, is a.....but with a comma for the apposition.
"The group ALGE" still rings wrong to my ears...
As it is said below, it would be much simpler to say right away: Alge is a group which......

Réponse: Position mot/ phrase de notrepere, postée le 09-06-2012 à 19:12:25 (S | E)
Hello

Honestly, it is more common in French to see the structure "Le groupe ALGE est un groupe...". It is more common in English to see:
ALGE (Alignement et Géodésie) is a group ...

This avoids the use of the word "group" twice in the same sentence which becomes redundant in English. Unless the group's name is actually "Groupe ALGE" (and I find no evidence that it is), then we don't even need to mention it at the beginning.
That makes this entire discussion moot.
See you.

Réponse: Position mot/ phrase de traviskidd, postée le 09-06-2012 à 22:15:01 (S | E)
Hello, yes I agree with notrepere, it would indeed be redundant to say "The group ALGE is a group..."; better to simply say "ALGE is a group...."

But you could say for example, "The group ALGE is recruiting new members."

See you.

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux