Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Essay/prevention of pandemic

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Essay/prevention of pandemic
Message de rob13 posté le 08-12-2014 à 21:30:38 (S | E | F)
Hello,
I wrote an essay about the topic my teacher gave me :
"Any infection is really a race between the virus and the host defences. And also between the virus and society's defences"

Here is the first part of what I made, could you tell me what you think about it? And also tell me about the mistakes I may have made? The slashes I used mean that I didn't know what word to choose and the question marks mean I am not sure of what I wrote. Thank you very much ( you have to know I am a biology student).

Viruses can cause serious diseases to the human body (=chez l'homme). They are implicated in illnesses/diseases such as hepatites, AIDS or like recently Ebola fever. The virus can be more or less powerful / harmful according to its virulence, and contagiousness but an important fact is that a virus replicates very quickly. When the body is infected with a virus, then begins a real race (=commence alors une véritable course) between the host defences and the virus. Those host defences mostly consist in the intervention of the immune system whose cells and molecules (interferons, interleukins, T or B lymphocytes, etc.) help combat the infection.
Sometimes, the host defences are not sufficient to stop the virus. Thus, we can imagine that either the virus is not very contagious and the infected patient can get medical help to defeat/fight the infection, or the virus can be very contagious and one of the first measures to take is to prevent the rest of the population from getting infected by the virus. It that last case, it becomes a race between the virus and society's defences.

I. The means developped by (the?) society in the race against the virus.(// Les moyens développés par la société dans la course contre le virus //)

To face a strong/powerful and contagious virus, society must do everything it can to halt or even to stop the spread of the virus and avoid an epidemic or, worse, a pandemic.
That's the role of many organizations such as the World Health Organization (WHO), or the Ministeries of Health of each country.
In the first place, those institutions identify the virus itself (DNA or RNA virus, single or double strand …), the risks of infection by determining the carriers and the vectors of the virus, the symptoms of the illness(es) caused by this one (=ce dernier) and also the treatments to give the patients to cure them.
Also, there must be a strict and real-time surveillance of the virus propagation/spread to adapt the procedures. For instance, the WHO monitors in real-time the number of infection cases, the appearance or the growth of eventual outbreaks of epidemics and also has an alert-scale that determines the evolution of the virus spread by stages (The first stage corresponding to the appearance of the virus in animals but not the man, and the sixth stage marks the official appearance/onset of the pandemic).
Besides, in case of fearing a pandemic, the management of a crisis must involve a control at the airports and at the borders, as done recently with the Ebola virus. This includes a quick symptoms check-up of travellers from high-risk countries and possibly the use of rapid diagnostic tests.

Moreover, sanitary/hygienic measures must be taken to avoid the transmission of the virus through the population (frequent handwashings, use of hydro-alcooholic gels/solutions, eventual use of masks, avoiding crowdy places).
Quarantine and isolation of the infected population can be needed sometimes as done recently for the Ebola outbreak in Africa.

Besides those prevention actions, society must take care of people who are already infected by ensuring they are contaminated in the first place and by which strain if the virus is known : a blood, urinal or fecal test can be performed/proceeded.
Of course, specific treatments must be applied to cure the patients in accordance with the nature of the virus determined by the extremely accurate study made upstream.
Drug supplies must be ordered, as well as the material and equipment we need to prevent the virus transmission through the population.

In the case of a pandemic, there is no easy solution and it's mostly about time.
Despite the best efforts the society can make to prevent an epidemy, a pandemy or to restrain the damage as much as it can, there are some limits that any anti-pandemic plan cannot get rid of.

So, what do you think?!
My second part is called "the limits of those means" but I will not show it here for the moment.
Thank you very much for all you can do.
Rob.

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 08-12-2014 21:32

Réponse: Essay/prevention of pandemic de here4u, postée le 09-12-2014 à 10:14:20 (S | E)
Hello !
Your 'beginning af an essay' is so long that I'll won't do it in one go ... Come back when I can ... hopefully !

I wrote an essay about the topic my teacher gave me :
"Any infection is really a race between the virus and the host defences. And also between the virus and society's (society???) could you be more explicit? )defences" (If I understand well, I've corrected your teacher ...unless you didn't copy well ! )

Viruses can cause serious diseases to the human body (=chez l'homme). They are implicated in illnesses/diseases such as hepatites, AIDS or like recently(word order Ebola fever. The virus can be more or less powerful / harmful according to its virulence, and contagiousness but an important fact is that a virus replicates very quickly. When the body is infected with a virus, then begins a real race(word order again!) (=commence alors une véritable course) between the host defences and the virus. Those host defences mostly consist in the intervention of the immune system whose cells and molecules (interferons, interleukins, T or B lymphocytes, etc.) help combat(I'd fight an infection, but ... why not combat!) the infection.
Sometimes, the host defences are not sufficient to stop the virus. Thus, we can imagine that either the virus is not very contagious and the infected patient can get medical help to defeat/fight the infection, or the virus can be very contagious and one of the first measures to take is to prevent the rest of the population from getting infected by the virus. It that last case, it becomes a race between the virus and society's defences(I'd express it differently ....

I. The means developped by (the?)(I'd put 'the' as it really depends on which 'sort of' society is touched ... ) society (taking part) in the race against the virus.(// Les moyens développés par la société dans la course contre le virus //)

To face a strong/powerful and contagious virus, a society must do everything itthey can to halt or even to stop the spread of the virus and avoid an epidemic or, worse, a pandemic.
That's the role of many organizations such as the World Health Organization (WHO), or the Ministeries of Health of each country.
In the first place, those institutions identify the virus itself (DNA or RNA virus, single or double strand …), the risks of infection by determining the carriers and the vectors of the virus, the symptoms of the illness(es) caused by this one (=ce dernier) and also the treatments to give the patients to cure them.

OK ! Must go now ... I'll try to come back later ...

Réponse: Essay/prevention of pandemic de rob13, postée le 10-12-2014 à 17:05:03 (S | E)
Thank you very much here4you for the time you spent on the correction of my essay.
Even if it's not finished ... If you or someone else have/has some time, could you help me finishing the correction? That would be nice ^^

Thank you again anyway.

-------------------
Modifié par rob13 le 10-12-2014 17:05

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux