Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Used to/ always

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Used to/ always
Message from mohammad51 posted on 27-11-2017 at 22:28:33 (D | E | F)
Hello
Used to it means for example, someone did the same thing or often did it...
He is used to be late or come late.
He was used to drink much coffee
Now my sentence used to and always in the same sentence.
He always used to agree with me.

Always also is closer to the meaning of used to.
He always don't agree with him.
I think using always before used to is something of assertions or help for emphasis.
My question, is the above sentence( He always used to agree with me) correct or incorrect?
Or, is it already to use ( used to with always)?
Thank you in advance.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 27-11-2017 22:56

Re: Used to/ always from lucile83, posted on 27-11-2017 at 23:08:55 (D | E)
Hello
You mix up a lot of things; take a look at this test: Link

He used to drive fast ...it happened in the past, now he drives carefully.
He got used to driving fast ...he started to drive fast some time ago and he still drives fast.

When I read: He always don't agree with him...it sounds very strange
You should write: He never agrees with him.

Re: Used to/ always from gerondif, posted on 27-11-2017 at 23:54:45 (D | E)
Hello
You make a confusion between:
1) to be used to doing something, which can be used at any tense: used is adjectival, to is a preposition followed by a gerund:
I am used to typing with two fingers. I am not used to typing with my thumbs on those wretched smartphones.
He was used to swimming in cold water.
in a few days, you will be used to this new car.

2)the VERB used to , which exists only in the preterite and describes something that you did in the past and don't do any more, or still do.
I used to go to school by bike when I was a child.
I didn't use to smoke when I was a child.
He always used to agree with me when he was younger but nowadays, he often disagrees with me.
So yes, it is all right (not already)to use always if the meaning requires it.

You can also use would to express a habit, a voluntary action.
My grandfather had athma but he would smoke all the same.
He used to live inNew-York in the thirties; He would go and see the empire State Building being built every day.

He always don't agree with him. is wrong.
He doesn't always agree with me = He sometimes disagrees with me.
He always disagrees with me = He never agrees with me. We never agree with each-other.

Re: Used to/ always from mohammad51, posted on 28-11-2017 at 06:07:38 (D | E)
Hello
Thank you very much gerondif
He always don't agree with him. is wrong I know that it was typed in mistake.
This you can say. it is not intentional, when I posted it, the time was late and somehow I was tired.
However, my question still exists; is it possible or acceptable in linguistic to use always and used to following one to another?
The example, which I brought yesterday, is not the only example I noticed in books or in internet.
I agree with you that 'sued to' is considered an adjective....correct
Don't worry, you'll soon get used to your new school.
She had gradually grown used to him. = accustomed to him.
But always ( adverb of frequency) also carries the meaning of something a man usually does it.
Used to referred to past and as you said it is equal to "would" in some circumstances. Correct
What would you say about my idea that using always associated with used to is likely a matter of emphasis?
I think so. yet I think so!

He always used to agree with me.

Simply, I can use either of these and the meaning will not change except the referring back to time.
He always agree with me. = I never notice him one day disagreeing with me. Can anyone say it is incorrect?
He used to agree with me. = in the past but maybe now he disagrees with me.
Can anyone say it is incorrect? I think both are correct and no grammar mistake.
I would thank you if you could explain more or just understand the point of my view.

Re: Used to/ always from gerondif, posted on 28-11-2017 at 11:49:51 (D | E)
Hello,
Even conjugated correctly, your sentence: "He always doesn't agree with me" would sound awkward.
I would prefer: He always disagrees with me, he will(stress will) never agree with me, he is intent on disagreeing with me, he is bent on disagreeing with me, he keeps disagreeing with me, he is intent on proving me wrong.

used to needn't mean "always":
"I used to live in Burgundy before I moved here." simply means I lived in Burgundy when I was young; The emphasis is not on "always"
"I used to smoke when I was younger; I would smoke an occasional "gauloise" when I roamed through the streets of my hometown with my group of friends." It doesn't mean I was always smoking.

But as I said, it is correct to use always with used to if the meaning requires it.
It always used to rain whenever we had a barbecue in the garden when we rented that place in Britanny.

When always applies to a creature with a will of its own, I would prefer "would".
My grandfather used to be bad-tempered(it was not his fault, he was born that way, or the first world-war did that to him): he would always argue with my grandmother about trifles.
It would always rain whenever we had a barbecue (you can personify the weather).

So, once again, you can use always with used to if you need to stress an action.

Re: Used to/ always from mohammad51, posted on 28-11-2017 at 18:04:52 (D | E)
Thank you gerondif,
From you we learn
Good luck for you.
I read all your content and got satisfied.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux