Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Used to/ get used to

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Used to/ get used to
Message from mohammad51 posted on 10-10-2020 at 17:42:23 (D | E | F)
Hello
Please, could any teacher help me giving understand the difference ?
Thank you in advance

What is the difference between these two sentences?

John used to get up early
and
John got used to getting up early

------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 10-10-2020 18:12
Grey

Re: Used to/ get used to from lucile83, posted on 10-10-2020 at 18:17:25 (D | E)
Hello,
John used to get up early ...when he was young he could get up early; now he is older and he gets up later

John got used to getting up early ...he never got up early but one day he decided to try and kept on that habit

Re: Used to/ get used to from gerondif, posted on 10-10-2020 at 18:23:14 (D | E)
Hello
Used to is used only in the preterite, is followed by an infinitive and means that you did that action in the past, repetitively, as a habit.
I used to smoke when I was younger but I no longer smoke / and I still do.
Kennedy used to cheat on his wife very often. His most famous mistress was Marylin Monroe.
I used to drive a Renault 4 when I started working. Those cars got so rusty that they used to lose their rear-wheels when the frame broke.

To be used to, to get used to + ing can be used at any tense and means what it means :
In a few days, you will be used to driving this new car.
I bought that car in 1979 and soon got used to driving it.
If you practised more, you would get used to running long distances.

Re: Used to/ get used to from mohammad51, posted on 10-10-2020 at 19:35:34 (D | E)
Hello dear teachers
I know ( used to ) is used with past events \ habits only
Used to + infinitive = conveys past events ( never with present time)
With present time we use ( I am used to ....) = is accustomed

I used to smoke when I was young, now I don't smoke
I used to swim in the river when I was young, now I can't..
----
2. I used to get + ing form ( as my teacher gerondif explained ) = become accustomed.

These mentioned above are no problem with.
The problem is with ( got used to ) = opposite form of ( used to + infinitive )

My questions and notices

Is it formal ?
Perhaps I agree with my dear teacher lucile83
He said " John got used to getting up early ...he never got up early but one day he decided to try and kept on that habit"
But also I have another idea
We often say in English " I got it " I see it does not refer to past time
I got it = I now have got it = I understand it
I see it is the same to say( I am used to getting up early or carries the same meaning
---
Suppose it " John used to get ( not got ) .... ?
WE know used to + get ( can be followed either by a noun or ing form )
So, how to differ between
Used to + get + gerund and Got used to + gerund

I know ( used to + get + ing form ) = become accustomed = he or she still tries to be accustomed

Does ( Got used to getting early ) refer to the past ?
I see it does not refer to the past ?
I see the verb ( got ) can replace the verbs to be
I am used to getting up early \ I got used to getting up early >> I see both carrying the same meaning
Suppose it possible : I am got used to getting of course not used in English
But, remove ( am ) and the result is clear

Re: Used to/ get used to from gerondif, posted on 10-10-2020 at 19:49:02 (D | E)
Hello
John used to get up early when he was in the army but now, he doesn't get up early any more as he is unemployed.

John got used to getting up early when he was in the army in 1978. He developed that habit in the early days of August 1978 when he was drafted into the army and had to obey the rules.

to be used to doing something is a state, to get used to doing something is an action, a transformation from state 1 to state 2.

I am used to explaining English grammar.

I am slowly getting used to driving this new car with an automatic clutch. But I often brake when I think I should clutch in and end up with my face in the windshield !

Re: Used to/ get used to from mohammad51, posted on 10-10-2020 at 22:08:00 (D | E)
Hello
Many thanks for you dear teacher gerondif
If the examples are written in the way you cleared out , no ambiguity has been.
But usually the examples confined to half information
Here are examples : ( I copied as written online )

I got used to his Scottish accent after a while . This is clear

I got used to waking up early in the morning.

You confirmed that got used to = it refers to past occasion in a few examples you mentioned
One example you mentioned ( got used to = the same used to )
John got used to getting up early when he was in the army in 1978. He developed that habit in the early days of August 1978 when he was drafted into the army and had to obey the rules.
= He firstly ( was used to \ got used to ) but then he changed ( said >> Had to obey )
For this possible replacing, I say got = was ? Am I right ?

I still stick on the idea ( Got can replace verb to be )
Here it is mentioned and this site is not the only site but many sites
Link

-----
Anyway or no matter to what is said or not said

I got used to waking up early in the morning.

I used to get waking up early in the morning.
I see according to your explanation that ( got used to is telling about the past
And the second ( used to get ) is telling about the present
Am I right ?
But instead of ( got used ) we can use ( was used to ) I gave one example and explained
One example you mentioned

Yours : John got used to getting up early when he was in the army in 1978, but after some years of drafting he is used to getting up early.
Mine : John was used to getting up early when he was in the army in 1978, but after some years of drafting he is used to getting up early.
Am I right ?
The verb ( got ) has wide usage in English and sometimes is confusing or perplexing

Here it can replace many verbs not only verbs to be
find \ catch \ became lost as get lost \ took a taxi = got a taxi
Link

Re: Used to/ get used to from gerondif, posted on 10-10-2020 at 23:20:18 (D | E)
Hello
To be is a verb of state and describes a state, or the result of a past change.
I am used to this bike because I have used it for years.
I am used to driving Renault cars because I've had a few.

to get means to become, and describes the change, the transformation, the movement from state 1 to state 2.
I used to drink coffee only for breakfast but when I went to England in 1973 for a year as a foreign assistant, I got used to drinking tea for breakfast.
It would be wrong to say :
I used to drink coffee only for breakfast but when I went to England in 1973 for a year as a foreign assistant, I was used to drinking tea for breakfast.
That sentence would mean that I was used to drinking tea before I went to England.

In the examples you quote, yes, get can replace be because the verb can accommodate both auxiliary verbs.

"The video got uploaded to the web site." describes the result of the action by the man who decided to do it
"The video was uploaded to the web site." is only the passive form of the verb

"He got thrown into the pool." insists on the fact that somebody did this to him, he was a victim of this bad joke.
"He was thrown into the pool." describes just what happened to him
"We got caught!" shows that, through bad preparation or hard luck, they got caught.
"We were caught!" is just the passive voice and describes their state of prisoners after their capture.

Anyway,you shouldn't compare those sentences with your problem with I used to do sth versus I am used to doing something.

Re: Used to/ get used to from mohammad51, posted on 11-10-2020 at 08:53:05 (D | E)
Thank very much dear teacher gerondif
Now, it is clear for me.
And I say " I got you"
I got you = I understood what you told
Best wishes

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux