Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Made (to), brought (to) is incorrect?

<< English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Suivre ce sujet]

Made (to), brought (to) is incorrect?
Message from rie posted on 21-04-2009 at 10:27:53 (D | E | F)

Hello, I 'd like to know why it is wrong to say ¨I made to my son a wonderful cake¨
or ¨I have brought to my parents a bunch of flowers¨.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 21-04-2009 12:14

Re: Made (to), brought (to) is incorrect? from jonquille, posted on 22-04-2009 at 01:35:34 (D | E)
Hello rie

1. In this context...you made the cake FOR your son..
In English, we will often say what was made, followed by who it was made for.

2. This sentence can use either "to" or "for" (a slight difference in meaning between them) but the order of the phrases is incorrect.
Write what you brought first, followed by who they were brought to / for.

I hope this helps!

Re: Made (to), brought (to) is incorrect? from brettdallen, posted on 22-04-2009 at 01:47:46 (D | E)
Hello,
First: consider what Jonquille has just told you, second: it is not an easy thing to say why you have to use "TO" in "I made a cake to my son is correct" and not in "I made my son a cake". No doubt there's an explanation to be found in the long history of the language, but maybe you should concentrate on the rule and find out later...(as far as I'm concerned, I still haven't got the answer to that but maybe one day the light will come!)
Bye for now.

Re: Made (to), brought (to) is incorrect? from TravisKidd, posted on 22-04-2009 at 06:33:21 (D | E)
You could either say "I made a wonderful cake for my son" or "I made my son a wonderful cake". There is no difference in meaning, although the noun at the end is typically the one intended to be emphasized.

Similarly, you could say "I have brought my parents a bunch of flowers" or "I have brought a bunch of flowers to my parents".

"To make" and "to bring" are two verbs which admit the structure

Subject + Verb + Indirect Object + Direct Object.

Most verbs do not admit this structure, but the list of those that do is too long to enumerate. It is best to simply learn them as you go along.

Re: Made (to), brought (to) is incorrect? from rie, posted on 22-04-2009 at 12:49:06 (D | E)
Thank you very much! It was very helpful!

Re: Made (to), brought (to) is incorrect? from ingayka, posted on 29-05-2009 at 21:42:58 (D | E)
hiiii!!!!!!i'd like to mention about the usage of transitive verbs too,as they have the same stucture,such as,give,lend,pass,show and so on.
1.give me the salt ,please.
2.give the salt to me ,please.

i'd be glad to be helpful too

Re: Made (to), brought (to) is incorrect? from firefly, posted on 11-07-2009 at 14:05:04 (D | E)
You can use "made to" in "be made to.." in the passive voice. For example: My mom always makes me drink milk every night. In passive voice, we say: I am always made to drink milk every night.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Suivre ce sujet]

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux