Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

How to avoid the franglais? (1)

<< English only || Bottom

POST A NEW REPLY

How to avoid the franglais?
Message from ylebiez posted on 23-04-2009 at 09:53:28 (D | E | F)

My english communication is not to bad. I could speak with a native. Everything is alright ( I hide my french pronunciation, I speak like an Irish)and suddenly in the middle of the conversation, he is stopping me and look at me suspicious: A french.
I certainly do obvious franglais. How to avoid this?

Re: How to avoid the franglais? from matrix_hamdi, posted on 23-04-2009 at 12:44:16 (D | E)

Hello everybody,   
As you know, in spoken English, some syllables are pronounced with more energy than others, whereas in French every syllable has the same force and prominence, no matter what function it has in the utterance.
For example:
In French
- DAVID TRAVAILLE VITE (each syllable whether stressed or not has the same length as every other syllable.)
In English
- he GOT me a BIG NEW NOTE-book (The stressed syllables 'Words with capital letters' are pronounced with more energy)
Don't forget also that one of the characteristics of English is that certain words may be pronounced in two different ways, (we have what  is called 'Strong' and 'Weak' forms) for this reason most native speakers of English find an 'all-strong-form' pronunciation unnatural and foreign-sounding . In fact most of non-native English speakers have the same problem and wish to avoid it!  
In this case it's very important to look for some Phonetics courses, they could be so helpful
Best wishes!   

-------------------
Edited by matrix_hamdi le 23-04-2009 12:46

Re: How to avoid the franglais? from robertbrou, posted on 28-04-2009 at 17:28:05 (D | E)
Hello,

Sometimes it could be a word or phrase that you are using. I have a friend who's French/Italian who speaks American English without an accent. However, he inserts certain words in the conversation that causes a double take.

When talking about trains, he says "wagons" instead of "cars".

I've also heard him say "salad bowl/basket" when referring to "paddy wagon."

In addition, certain common (to French people) hand movements can also be a dead giveaway, like twisting your nose to indicate someone who's drunk or slapping your hand in the other to indicate that you left in a hurry.

Hope this helps!
robertbrou

-------------------
Edited by robertbrou le 28-04-2009 17:55

Re: How to avoid the franglais? from pokahontas, posted on 28-04-2009 at 22:44:10 (D | E)
you have to study phonetics ;it will help you to have a better pronounciation;friendly yours

Re: How to avoid the franglais? from ylebiez, posted on 29-04-2009 at 07:43:54 (D | E)
Hello,
thanks to everybody.Robertbrou is right my typical Latin movement handand also the fact the french word translation like for paddy waggon are a tip for native. I have a small question about the reading, how I can know how to put the accentuation on words of a text. I read Winnie the Pooh for my son 11 month and I don't know if I put the accent on the right word, someone got a clue? maybe I have to put this question to the forum?
Thousand of regards for your help
yoann

Re: How to avoid the franglais? from leacherlee, posted on 29-04-2009 at 10:41:11 (D | E)
Yes,it is also a confusion for me.As a primary english learner,I always be confused by the franglais.For example,when I was reading the news in www.nytimes.com,sometimes I found that it's too hard to known the author's meaning, because they used so many accent words.
How to void this?I'll be pay a attention.

POST A NEW REPLY

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux