Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Wish (1)

<< English only || Bottom

This topic is now closed. You can't post a new reply.

Wish
Message from omar99 posted on 02-01-2010 at 19:57:03

I'd like to ask if I COULD SAY
I wish to have a car
or I wish I had a car
can we say both?
thank you

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 05-03-2010 09:27

Re: Wish by seb06000, posted on 02-01-2010 at 20:19:04
hello

there's a slight difference:

-I wish to have ...=> means that soon you'll buy it => highly possible

-I wish I had => you just say that you regret it, it's a statement => nothing on the possible fact

I hope it is clear!

Regards

sébastien

Re: Wish by dolfine56, posted on 02-01-2010 at 20:20:55
Bonsoir,
yes, I think so!
I wish to have a car means I hope to be able to buy a car , one day.
I wish I had a car means I would like to have a car, but, unfortunatly, I haven't.

more answers please...

Re: Wish by willy, posted on 02-01-2010 at 20:47:32
Hello!

I wish to have a car = formal style.
Used in this way, "wish" means "want to/would like to", which are much more common in informal style :
- I want to have a car
- I'd like to have a car.

I wish I had a car = expression of regret : you mean you'd like things to be different from what they are. It means : if only I had a car!

Re: Wish by maisaa, posted on 04-01-2010 at 01:17:49
i wish to speak english fluency,

-------------------
Edited by maisaa on 04-01-2010 01:21

Re: Wish by brettdallen, posted on 04-01-2010 at 08:49:53
Bonjour,

i( " I ") wish to speak english fluency("fluently").
Amicalement.

Re: Wish by e2e4, posted on 06-01-2010 at 23:41:09
Greetings to all

I'd like to add that I wonder is the word "had" in the sentence the subjunctive mode of the word "to have" used to express regret about the present situation for not having a car.

Re: Wish by may, posted on 08-01-2010 at 03:02:58
Hello,

"I wish I had" is a way to express regret about something you were not able to do, and you cannot take it back. It's over

Let's say:

I wish I had a car when you were here, I would love to drive you all around the city

Best regards,

May

Re: Wish by willy, posted on 08-01-2010 at 14:09:20
Hello!

I'm sorry to interfere, may, but I wouldn't have put it that way.

1) Situation : simple present : you don't have a car.

"I wish I had a car".

2) Situation : simple past : You didn't have a car when they were there.

"I wish I had had a car when you were here ; I'd have loved to drive you all around the town".

Re: Wish by may, posted on 08-01-2010 at 21:12:43
Thanks Willy! It's well done .

I really appreciate your help

Best regards,

May

Re: Wish by krnntp, posted on 13-01-2010 at 07:40:41
Or how about this: regretting something that will not be possible in the future!

I wish I was going to have a car when you are here, I would love to drive you all around the city!

Q: I can't wait to see John! Will he be at your party on Friday?

A: I wish he was going to be around on Friday, but his plane doesn't arrive until Saturday morning.

Placing the emphasis on wish makes the sentence sound wistful and sincere. You could place the emphasis on was instead; this makes the sentence sound more like a complaint, maybe even a little sarcastic.

Q: So John's not coming to your party on Friday?

A: No. I wish he was going to be around on Friday, he could help me clean up afterwards.

Talking about things you once expected to happen in the future, now that the situation has changed:

I was going to have a car when you are here, but Susan has decided to drive to Philadelphia that week, and she'll need the Volkswagen.

Q: I can't wait to see John! Will he be in town on Friday?

A: He was going to be here on Friday. Unfortunately, his flight schedule has changed, and now his plane won't arrive until Saturday morning.

The emphasis is on either was or going; either way, it doesn't affect the meaning.

Best - krnntp

Re: Wish by may, posted on 15-01-2010 at 02:59:10
Hello,

Thanks Krnntp for the modification. However, I am a little bit confused as I try to imagine the situation when you put:

I wish I was going to have a car when you are here, I would love to drive you all around the city!

About grammar: TO BE GOING TO is used to express something happening in the very near future, therefore we cannot put the verb TO BE in the past tense, can we?

How about I wish I have a car when you are here, I would love to drive you all around the city!

In this case, I thought "Hope" is much better than "Wish"

I hope I am going to have a car when you are here, I would love to drive you all around the city!

Best Regards,

May