Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Future simple and continuous

<< English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Suivre ce sujet]

Future simple and continuous
Message from virgoshaka posted on 29-04-2010 at 14:26:59 (D | E | F)

Hello,
The truck WILL BE PICKING UP WILL PICK UP (pick up) the money later tomorrow afternoon.

Please help me check this sentence again. I think the correct answer is "will be picking up" cuz because it's specific past ????? (tomorrow afternoon), but the answer is "will pick up." Would you please tell me why the answer appeared like this.

ex.When you wake up tomorrow morning, it WILL BE RAINING WILL RAIN (rain).

this one too. Why cannot can't I say "will be raining?" ;it is also specific past ?????.

Please give me the most correct answer, thanks.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 29-04-2010 14:28
Why do you speak of specific past when speaking of future?

Re: Future simple and continuous from lucile83, posted on 29-04-2010 at 15:10:29 (D | E)
Hello,
Nothing is really planned, especially the rain !
Regards.

Re: Future simple and continuous from willy, posted on 29-04-2010 at 20:48:50 (D | E)
Hello,

1) The truck will pick up the money ... = a mere prediction.

But you can say : "The truck will be picking up the money ..." : the future progressive is used to suggest that something in the future has already been fixed or decided.

2)I don't think you can say : "it will rain" in this sentence : it won't start raining just because you've just woken up!

The action of "raining" will be in progress at that particular moment in the future "when you wake up". So, it will be raining when you wake up.

-------------------
Edited by traviskidd on 30-04-2010 00:26

Re: Future simple and continuous from traviskidd, posted on 30-04-2010 at 00:23:13 (D | E)
The future continuous can also be used to create an expectation or give details concerning a future event.

- I hope you can come to my piano recital tomorrow; I'll be playing "Für Elise".

In this sense "will be picking up" could be correct, depending on the intent of the speaker.

Re: Future simple and continuous from notrepere, posted on 30-04-2010 at 07:46:53 (D | E)
Hello:

I think the author was intending to invoke this rule:

REMEMBER No Future in Time Clauses

Like all future tenses, the Future Continuous (i.e. Progressive) cannot be used in clauses beginning with time expressions such as: when, while, before, after, by the time, as soon as, if, unless, etc. Instead of Future Continuous, Present Continuous is used.

Lien Internet

But I agree that the examples are confusing.

4. The truck WILL PICK UP (pick up) the money later tomorrow afternoon.

The time is specific and there is only one action and the truck can only be doing one action at a time.

5. When you graduate, your parents WILL CLAP (clap) in the audience.

This one is tricky and either answer could apply. This sentence begins with "when" so the rule NOT to use future progressive appears to apply. However, this is also a case where USE 4 applies: USE 4 Atmosphere in the Future

When you graduate, your parents WILL BE CLAPPING...
When you graduate, your parents ARE GOING TO BE CLAPPING...

6. When you wake up tomorrow morning, it WILL RAIN (rain).

This also appears to violate the "time clause" rule. However, USE 4 could appear here also.

7. His boss WILL BE SPEAKING (speak) with him tomorrow at 1:00 p.m.

Either answer applies here too as in USE 2, depending on the context.

His boss WILL SPEAK with him tomorrow at 1:00 p.m.
His boss WILL BE SPEAKING with him tomorrow at 1:00 p.m. (so you can't meet him at that time).

-------------------
Edited by notrepere on 30-04-2010 07:47

Re: Future simple and continuous from lucile83, posted on 30-04-2010 at 09:45:52 (D | E)
Hello notrepere,

I think you are confusing rules here:

6. When you wake up tomorrow morning, it WILL RAIN (rain).

This also appears to violate the "time clause" rule.

The time clause rule concerns the verb used with 'when' for instance, not the second part of the sentence.
We can't say : when you will wake up....that's impossible.
But in the second part we can use the future simple or continuous.

Example : when I am older I will drive a car /not: when I'll be older

Here is an example from the link you gave us:
While Ellen is reading, Tim will be watching television.
Notice "is reading" because of the time clause containing "while." (See Explanation Below)

Best regards.

Re: Future simple and continuous from loras, posted on 30-04-2010 at 14:22:48 (D | E)
it is interesting。

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Suivre ce sujet]

<< English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux