Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Afraid of vs afraid to

<< English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Suivre ce sujet]

Afraid of vs afraid to
Message from nutmeg1906 posted on 20-11-2010 at 19:03:46 (D | E | F)
Hello,
The exercise on "afraid to vs afraid of" published in your site is quite interesting.
The sentences used are the following:

1. They were all afraid OF LOSING their jobs.
2. He's afraid TO TELL his wife about it.
3. Don't be afraid TO SAY what you think.
4. I was afraid OF HURTING myself.
5. She was afraid OF MAKING herself ill.
6. I'm afraid TO JUMP from such a height.
7. He's afraid OF LOSING his independence.

The problem is that the rule (when to use "of" and when "to") is not clear to me.
Can you please help me? Thank you!

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 20-11-2010 20:15

Re: Afraid of vs afraid to from notrepere, posted on 21-11-2010 at 06:01:22 (D | E)
Hello!

In general, you use "afraid to + action verb" but honestly, there is little difference between the two in many cases.

Here is what Swan's "Practical English Usage" says:

afraid

To talk about fear of things that happen accidentally, we prefer afraid of + -ing.

I don't like to drive fast because I'm afraid of crashing.
'Why are you so quiet?' 'I'm afraid of waking the children.'

In other cases we can use afraid + -ing or afraid + infinitive with no difference in meaning.

I'm not afraid of telling / to tell her the truth.

In light of the first rule, #2, #3, and #6 are definitely action verbs, so the rule of using "afraid to + infinitive". However, in light of Swan's rules, #2 and #3 could have either answer. With #4, this is definitely an action verb, so either answer is definitely possible, but the meaning would be different.

I would say that #6 falls into the category of either answer being possible.

So, in short, I think the test is misleading because it suggests that there is only one possibility.

7. He's afraid OF LOSING his independence.

Here are some other pages that might interest you:

Lien Internet

Lien Internet

Lien Internet

Re: Afraid of vs afraid to from lucile83, posted on 21-11-2010 at 09:40:35 (D | E)
Hello,

Afraid of ...-ing is used when the following action may happen unintentionally.

In other cases we may use afraid + to.

Regards.

Re: Afraid of vs afraid to from nutmeg1906, posted on 21-11-2010 at 12:02:48 (D | E)
Thank you, you've been really helpful!

Re: Afraid of vs afraid to from ariette, posted on 21-11-2010 at 17:37:11 (D | E)

7. He's afraid OF LOSING his independence

What we know about ING form and To INF may account for the difference

ING form is a kind of validation of the ‘action’ and may be equivalent to a noun, nominal form (loss for losing, wound for hurting, etc), refers to an activity (known, already practised or repeated)

Whereas

TO INF is used when there is an aim, an intention; it is turned to the future, not ‘validated’ yet but could occur in the future. It refers to a particular occurrence.

I’m not usually afraid of jumping
But in this particular case (from such a height) I’m afraid to jump.

You’re not usually afraid of speaking in public, so
Don’t be afraid to say what you think today.

I hope it is not too confusing!
Does it help ?

Re: Afraid of vs afraid to from nutmeg1906, posted on 27-11-2010 at 18:42:48 (D | E)
Yes, Ariette, thank you!

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Suivre ce sujet]

<< English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux