Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Triple Word Challenge 4

Cours gratuits > Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Suivre ce sujet]

Triple Word Challenge 4
Message from jonquille posted on 28-07-2011 at 05:32:20 (D | E | F)
Hello,

The French version of the game has helped me to improve my vocabulary , so I thought that it would be interesting to try it in English to help those learning English, and others! This “game” will have no winners initially, it will merely be a means of displaying your knowledge and talent! Therefore, the rules will start off much more basically because of my time constraints, but should the need arise and time permit, rules may be adjusted or added.

RULES

Goal: Very simple! Create a text using the 3 words that have been given to you. The text may be short (20/40 words) or longer (60/80 words).

1) Who can participate?: All members from beginner to expert.
2) Word usage: Try to keep the words in the form in which they are given. However, since this is a game to help you improve your English, some changes to the words will be accepted (letters may be added/changed to correspond to the subject, verbs may be changed from singular to plural). For native English speakers, no changes to the words will be allowed.
3) Language usage: Texts should be correct (grammar, spelling, punctuation). Please make the text appropriate to the users of this site (remember they are of all ages!). You will receive a private message if your text has errors.
4) Texts: Entries may be surrealistic or “creative” but they must make sense logically!
5) Game end: Each game will finish on the date noted in red. Words for succeeding games will be chosen randomly from the texts of those who have participated in the current game.
6) Text: To make the words easier to find in the texts, please put the game words in blue.

Important!! Closing date for this game: Sunday, 6 PM in New Hampshire, USA
(Your first challenge...what time is it for you when it is 6 PM in New Hampshire? )

Your next challenge – to put these words (taken from the TWC #3 texts) in 1- 5 sentences:

Noun: hillside (from la)
Adjective: demolished (from benha)
Verb: persuaded (from matou94)

Re: Triple Word Challenge 4 from dolfine56, posted on 28-07-2011 at 14:30:34 (D | E)
Hello Jonquille, and everybody

As we were walking in the mountain, all of a sudden,we caught sight of a little chalet,nestled on the hillside.As we got closer to it, we realized it was greatly demolished, and, unfortunately,nobody had been persuaded to renovate it.

Re: Triple Word Challenge 4 from ariane6, posted on 28-07-2011 at 18:22:39 (D | E)

Hello jonquille, hello dolfine !

Friends of the wild animals persuaded the boars to evacuate the demolished area, to trot down the hillside and to have a nice holiday on the beach...

Re: Triple Word Challenge 4 from jonquille, posted on 28-07-2011 at 18:29:02 (D | E)
Boars on the beach....what a picture that is! (hmm...what it did take to persuade them??? )

Re: Triple Word Challenge 4 from ariane6, posted on 28-07-2011 at 19:05:02 (D | E)

Unfortunately, jonquille, a very sad story ! This happens in our "douce France"...

Re: Triple Word Challenge 4 from matou94, posted on 28-07-2011 at 19:30:59 (D | E)
Hello Jonquille and everybody
Thank you for the TWC4

Here is my sentence :

The mining (on the hillside or underground) doesn't have to be demolished, because we are almost persuaded that a big recession could someday revive this industry.

-------------------
Edited by matou94 on 29-07-2011 09:11

Re: Triple Word Challenge 4 from lakata, posted on 28-07-2011 at 19:40:10 (D | E)
Hello Jonquille!

Here is the truth about what happened to the boars:

As you can imagine, the friends of animals have nothing to do with the fact that the boars were persuaded to evacuate the demolished area, and so on (copying the rest of the sentence would be dishonest, wouldn't it ?)
In fact, Ariane herself was camping on the hillside and was so disturbed by these animals snorting around every night that she decided to make them hear bagpipes with the radio turned way up! Totally terrified, the poor boars ran away down the hill to the beach where they preferred to drown themselves...
Here is the only effective way that persuaded (here is the second "persuaded"!) them to go to the beach and I am very happy to let you know the real truth about this sad story.

-------------------
Edited by lakata on 29-07-2011 08:15

Re: Triple Word Challenge 4 from hortensia, posted on 29-07-2011 at 16:27:54 (D | E)
She was persuaded that all these wonderful memories would never be demolished by anybody or anything, and would remain on the hillside of her heart, for ever !

Re: Triple Word Challenge 4 from lakata, posted on 29-07-2011 at 16:30:17 (D | E)
Hello Jonquille !

Have you ever eaten any cuajada?

I first came across cuajada during my holiday in the North of Spain. I was staying in a nice hotel located on a hillside and overlooking the sea, not far from a sheepfold.
My first dinner was about to end when the waiter suggested that I had a cuajada as a dessert. At a quick glance, it was white and looked like some yogurt in a clay pot. Whatever the good reasons given to me for eating it, I kept thinking it tasted like yogurt. Fortunately, the waiter eventually persuaded me to try it, and I did...
Actually it was non-pasteurized curd cheese made from the milk -with rennet added- of the ewes from the sheepfold near the hotel, and was the very first step for making cheese. It tasted like crème fraiche and wasn't acidic, whereas yogurt is / wasn't acidic like yogurt.
To sum up, it was so delicious that I demolished up to four cuajadas!
And I'm still wondering why on earth such a marvellous product is not also made in France...

------------------Edited by lakata on 30-07-2011 13:15

Thank you, dear Jonquille, for your very helpful suggestions and corrections

-------------------
Edited by lakata on 30-07-2011 18:46

Re: Triple Word Challenge 4 from clairefr, posted on 29-07-2011 at 17:35:13 (D | E)
Hello Jonquille and everyone !

I didn't rack my brains this time ! Here is my short text :

When the government decided to build a new motorway, they persuaded the farmers to move to the hillside and they demolished their farms.

Thank you Jonquille for this TWC4 !

Re: Triple Word Challenge 4 from lucile83, posted on 31-07-2011 at 10:02:33 (D | E)

Hello jonquille,

The man was walking down the hillside when he saw a shed that had been demolished during a storm.He was persuaded there was nobody inside the ruins, but when he got nearer he heard some noise.He was scared when he saw a hare that he had just disturbed,jump out and run away.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 02-08-2011 17:35
Thanks to lakata I noticed I had forgotten to write the words in blue; oops!

Re: Triple Word Challenge 4 from lakata, posted on 02-08-2011 at 17:23:59 (D | E)
Hello Jonquille!

"Mad as a March Hare"...

While rushing down the hillside, Lucile's hare - in fact the March Hare - happened to run into a strange white rabbit. No doubt : the way he was dressed - a red frock coat - and his pink eyes, persuaded him he was Alice's famous white rabbit! This one shouted : "No need to be afraid of the man who disturbed you and made you run away out of the demolished shed (thank you Lucile)! Actually, he isn't anybody else but Lewis Carroll himself!". "Wow! Great!", the hare answered enthusiastically," Then, what about throwing a mad tea party? Just between the three of us???"

-------------------
Edited by lakata on 02-08-2011 19:36

Re: Triple Word Challenge 4 from jonquille, posted on 03-08-2011 at 00:36:52 (D | E)
Another good round of stories! I'd like to welcome Hortensia...I hope to see you here again for the next round!

I loved the stories...so many things demolished on hillsides, so many people and animals persuaded! I think I'll have to take lakata's food suggestion the next time I'm in Spain. The cuajadas sound good!

For this game, I couldn't seem to find the time to create another “poem” using these words...I was too busy with the French ones. I promise, I'll try to create one for the next round!

See you in TWC5!

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux