Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Tell/V-ing or to

Cours gratuits > Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Suivre ce sujet]

Tell/V-ing or to
Message from nutmeg1906 posted on 28-09-2011 at 17:59:15 (D | E | F)
Hello,

In the textbook I use at school (FCE Result – Oxford ed.) I read the following passage:

Bobby Mason was a celebrity in the small village of Southbourne where he lived. His neighbours often asked him to tell stories about his years as a top professional footballer in the 1960s. Bobby entertained them for hours. He told them playing against George Best, one of the most famous footballers in the world at that time. The problem was, it wasn't true. [...]

I wanted to ask you if the verb “tell” follows the same rules as other verbs like “remember / regret / forget” etc. that can be followed by –ing or to form of the verb with different meanings. If this is the case, this might be a possible difference in meaning:
a)He told them playing against ... = He told them he had played against... / He told them about his memories concerning football etc.
b)He told them to play against … = He told them to do so.

Is it correct? I couldn't find this explanation in the grammar books I consulted. Thank you!

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 28-09-2011 18:58

Re: Tell/V-ing or to from gerondif, posted on 28-09-2011 at 18:11:48 (D | E)
Hello,

Yes, you are right: the sentence means:
He told them that he had been playing against George Best
He remembered (that he had been) playing against George Best.
He pretended / alleged / (that he had been) playing against George Best.

"He told them/asked them/ordered them/ advised them/forced them/ to play" would indeed have another meaning.

Re: Tell/V-ing or to from notrepere, posted on 28-09-2011 at 19:00:39 (D | E)
Hello

The sentence is missing a word:

He told them about playing against George Best...

It doesn't make any sense without it.

You can follow "them" with a gerund in the sense of:

He told them (that) playing against George Best, one of the most famous footballers in the world at that time, was the biggest thrill of his life.

Re: Tell/V-ing or to from nutmeg1906, posted on 30-09-2011 at 19:28:41 (D | E)
So, two different opinions. Thank you!

Re: Tell/V-ing or to from jonquille, posted on 01-10-2011 at 03:48:23 (D | E)
Hello!

I agree with notrepere... the sentence is missing a word. It doesn't make sense the way it is written/copied.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux