Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Enough/adverb

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Enough/adverb
Message from a_limon posted on 15-05-2012 at 00:15:16 (D | E | F)
Hello,

Could you tell me please if whether these sentences are correct?

1)It was already enough late.
2)There were enough people on the street.
3)It was enough to look at him to understand what human being he was.
4)It was enough interesting to know you a little closer.
5)To travel by car is interestingly enough.

I think "enough" in 1)3)4) is an adverb, and in 2)5) is an adjective.
Thank you for your answers.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 15-05-2012 08:24

Re: Enough/adverb from notrepere, posted on 15-05-2012 at 01:44:58 (D | E)
Hello

Either you have poorly transcribed your sentences, or only one sentence is grammatically correct.

1)It was already enough late. (Bad placement of 'enough')
2)There were enough people on the street. (OK)
3)It was enough to look at him to understand what [words missing??] human being he was. (The sentence is poorly constructed)
4)It was enough [placement] interesting to know you a little closer. (The sentence makes no sense)
5)To travel by car is interestingly enough. (Sherry has already counselled you on the use of the word 'interestingly')

You ask too many questions without trying to incorporate the advice already given. You post questions and you seem to only guess what the correct answer is and then expect us to tell you the correct answer. It is up to you to make the effort to study the concepts first before coming to the forum.

Re: Enough/adverb from lucile83, posted on 15-05-2012 at 08:34:14 (D | E)
Hello,

Please use a dictionary:
Link

or
Link

As notrepere says you don't take our previous answers into account and go on asking questions without looking up in a dictionary or searching the grammatical point in a book.

Re: Enough/adverb from a_limon, posted on 15-05-2012 at 18:45:37 (D | E)
Hello!

I understood my mistake about "enough" before the adjective. I didn't look it up in the dictionary because it is so usual to me to use an adverb before an adjective,really.
Also, you are mistaken if you think that I don't take your previous answers into account and go on asking questions without looking up in a dictionary or searching the grammatical point in a book. It was only one case about "interestingly enough"..
I thought it was possible to say "It is interestingly enough(t)" and "It was interestingly enough to travel by car." (sherry said only about the adverb phrase "interestingly enough"...

Check out my sentences,please,now.
1)It was already late enough.

2)It was enough to look at him to understand what [words missing??] human being he was. (The sentence is poorly constructed)
Correction It was enough to look at him to understand what an extraordinary human being he was.
(Is it possible to use an article "the" here,after"what"?)

3) It was enough [placement] interesting to know you a little closer. (The sentence makes no sense)
CORRECTION- It was interesting enough to know you better My suggestion that "To know you a little closer"="to know you better" in English is wrong?

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 15-05-2012 21:03

Re: Enough/adverb from notrepere, posted on 15-05-2012 at 21:23:21 (D | E)
Hello

Check out my sentences,please,now.
1)It was already late enough. OK

2)It was enough to look at him to understand what [words missing??] human being he was. (The sentence is poorly constructed)
Correction It was enough to look at him to understand what an extraordinary human being he was.
(Is it possible to use an article "the" here,after"what"?) No
The sentence is still poorly constructed because it's too convoluted. It would be better to say:
You could tell what an extraordinary human being he was just by looking at him.
"It was enough to look at him" is understandable, but not the best construction.

3) It was enough [placement] interesting to know you a little closer. (The sentence makes no sense)
CORRECTION- It was interesting enough to know you better My suggestion that "To know you a little closer"="to know you better" in English is wrong?
But the sentence doesn't make sense. It was enough to get to know you better.
See: Link

Re: Enough/adverb from gerondif, posted on 15-05-2012 at 23:18:26 (D | E)
Hello,
Why are you so intent on knowing whether enough is an adjective or an adverb?

The first thing to learn would be this:
Put enough 1)before a noun but 2)behind an adjective or 3)an adverb.

He can't buy this car because 2)he isn't rich enough. He hasn't got 1)enough money, 3)strangely enough!

4) Remember that an adverb needs to be used with a lexical verb, not "to be".

He is interesting enough. He reacted reasonably enough.

He is good enough. He works well enough.

He isn't logical enough. he doesn't work logically enough.

5) You can of course put an adverb + enough at the beginning of a sentence and that adverb will apply to the whole sentence even with the verb to be:

Logically enough, he wasn't chosen for the job.
Strangely enough, he was on the crime scene when the woman was attacked.

Once you know this, you know "enough", your sentences can't be wrong, can they ? np has corrected them.

1)It was already late enough. OK
2) you say It was enough to look at him to understand what an extraordinary human being he was.see np's suggestion.
You could also say: one single look at him was enough to see what an extraordinary human being he was.
3)It was interesting enough to know you better.(your sentence sounds off balance)
Please note that "fairly" or "quite" or "relatively" would have gone before the adjective.

It was quite/fairly/relatively/somewhat/ interesting to get to know you better.

Re: Enough/adverb from a_limon, posted on 16-05-2012 at 00:25:39 (D | E)
Hello,gerondif!

Why are you so intent on knowing whether enough is an adjective or an adverb? No,I don't try to know it. I can see it from the context...
Please note that "fairly" or "quite" or "relatively" would have gone before the adjective.
It was quite/fairly/relatively/somewhat/ interesting to get to know you better.
<----- It's what I meant.(You proved yourself to be an interesting person.)
The sentence like "It was enough to get to know you better." (enough-adjective) has another meaning than what I meant. (It means that someone did something bad or good, and other person got his number.(slang))

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 16-05-2012 09:29

Re: Enough/adverb from gerondif, posted on 16-05-2012 at 00:43:12 (D | E)
Hello,
np was correcting your sentence about the use of "know better", "get to know better" instead of "closer".
Maybe he forgot one word in his sentence:
It was (interesting) enough to get to know you better.

Re: Enough/adverb from willy, posted on 16-05-2012 at 08:33:27 (D | E)
Hello!

Allow me to tell you this: think about usage first, don't dwell on details about the nature of words.

Re: Enough/adverb from a_limon, posted on 16-05-2012 at 12:04:38 (D | E)
Hello!
Allow me to tell you this: think about usage first, don't dwell on details about the nature of words.

to whom are your words addressed and what does your advice mean?

Re: Enough/adverb from willy, posted on 16-05-2012 at 13:00:28 (D | E)
Well, I mean it doesn't really matter whether "enough" is an adjective or an adverb, for example, nor whether the -ing form is a gerund or a present participle.
What matters most is the way "enough" or -ing forms are used in a correct sentence.
Too many theoretical rules won't help you master the language: in the long run, you'll mix everything up.

Re: Enough/adverb from a_limon, posted on 16-05-2012 at 13:52:42 (D | E)
Now it's clear.
But when I want to say something I don't think what part of the speech this or that word is. I have only one question now on grammar. It's unclear to me what goes after the next verbs: go on, keep on, keep, go, start, continue, stop..
I know it's -ing form of the verb. Everyone says it's the gerund.
But I know that the gerund is the direct object of the verb when it comes without preposition after the transitive verb. And only if the gerunds come after verbs with prepositions (of, with, in..)they are indirect objects of the verbs. After these verbs, gerunds go without prepositions.These verbs are intransitive ones. What does it mean,then? I can't get it.
I have no questions about the cases when gerunds follow the link verbs, and complement the subject.(Seeing is believing.)
Please, help me if you understand me.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 16-05-2012 21:11

Re: Enough/adverb from sherry48, posted on 16-05-2012 at 13:59:23 (D | E)
Hello a_limon.
Willy has given you excellent advice! Grammar may be helpful in deciding which form of the word to use, but there are always exceptions. Knowing how to use a word is more important than knowing the part of speech.
Many Americans know little about parts of speech, but they know how to use the word...even if some choose to use words incorrectly.
Sherry

Re: Enough/adverb from willy, posted on 16-05-2012 at 14:12:59 (D | E)
Once you know you have to use -ing forms after those verbs, make personal sentences; then, you'll be able to use those verbs correctly when you need them.

You ought to get the following reference book:
"Practical English Usage" (third edition, Oxford University Press) by Michael Swan, ISBN 978-0-19-442098-3 (on my copy)
Price in England last year: £26.50
Link

Re: Enough/adverb from a_limon, posted on 29-05-2012 at 00:47:56 (D | E)
Hello! Tell me please if it is possible to say "car's going too fast. Car is going fast enough' (fast and enough-adverbs)

Re: Enough/adverb from gerondif, posted on 29-05-2012 at 00:51:00 (D | E)
Hello,
"That car's going too fast.
That car is going fast enough'
Yes, you can.

Re: Enough/adverb from a_limon, posted on 29-05-2012 at 00:53:43 (D | E)
Thank you! It's too late already. Good night!

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux