Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Linking verbs/writing

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Linking verbs/writing
Message from san99 posted on 03-07-2012 at 00:01:25 (D | E | F)
Hello,

I don’t use 'in order that' so much in daily communication, so I am going to rewrite these sentences, please check my rewritten sentences for grammatical accuracy and sense.
Thank you for your help.

1. I put my son on my shoulders in order that he could see better
I put my son on my shoulders so that he could see better.

2. She left the keys out so that she wouldn't forget them
She left the keys out as not to forget them. Or in order that she wouldn’t forget them.

3. I didn't want to eat any lunch because I had such a big breakfast
I didn’t want to eat my lunch as I already had such a big breakfast.

4. Terry gave me a spare key in order that I could get in when he wasn't at home
Terry gave me a spare key so that I could easily get in when he wasn’t at home.

5. The windows are made of tinted glass so that it is not too bright during the summer
The windows are made of tinted glass in order that is it not too bright during the summer.

6. A public meeting about the proposed new power station is being held in order to gather local opinion
A public meeting about the proposed new power station is being held to collect local opinion or so that public opinion can be collected/gathered.

7. The footpath is signposted in such a way as to make it very easy to follow
The footpath is signposted so that to make it very easy to follow.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 03-07-2012 08:30
Layout

Re: Linking verbs/writing from gerondif, posted on 03-07-2012 at 22:46:35 (D | E)
Hello,

in order that + subjunctive seemed odd to me , I had to ckeck it to see if it was correct and it is. I find that
"in order to" or "in order not to" are easier to use, less heavy.

1. I put my son on my shoulders in order that he could see better /in order for him to see better.
I put my son on my shoulders so that he could see better.

2. She left the keys out so that she wouldn't forget them
She left the keys out as not to forget them. Or in order that she wouldn’t forget them./in order not to forget them.

3. I didn't want to eat any lunch because I had had such a big breakfast
I didn’t want to eat my lunch as I already had had such a big breakfast.

4. Terry gave me a spare key in order that I could get in when he wasn't at home/ in order for me to be able to get in when he wasn't at home.(ok, it is just as heavy!!)
Terry gave me a spare key so that I could easily get in when he wasn’t at home.

5. The windows are made of tinted glass so that it is not too bright during the summer
The windows are made of tinted glass in order that is it(no inversion here!!) not too bright (sounds wrong)during the summer./in order for it not to be too bright...

6. A public meeting about the proposed new power station is being held in order to gather local opinion
A public meeting about the proposed new power station is being held to collect local opinion or so that public opinion can be collected/gathered.

7. The footpath is signposted in such a way as to make it very easy to follow
The footpath is signposted so that to make it very easy to follow./ in order to make it easy to follow.

Re: Linking verbs/writing from san99, posted on 03-07-2012 at 22:55:20 (D | E)
Hello Gerondif,
You are right "In order that" is a bit heavy subjunctive to use in the sentence, I never used it myself. But I recently took an exercise on this forum and found all these new subjunctives....of all 'in order that' is a bit new to me.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux