Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Take you places/grammar

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Take you places/grammar
Message from a_limon posted on 07-07-2012 at 18:37:03 (D | E | F)
Hello!

I have (a) difficulties with understanding the grammar of the expression "take you places". I have no problem with "take your place".
Could you tell me please what (is) the direct object here is:you or places.
I think you is indirect object. (take places to you) If "you" is direct object then "places" I would take as an adverb. I can take you (where,how?) places.
Link

Thank you in advance.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 07-07-2012 18:57

Re: Take you places/grammar from sherry48, posted on 07-07-2012 at 18:55:05 (D | E)
Hello.

I can take you places is the same as saying I can take you to a place or somewhere that you would like to go.
The part of speech may be clearer when 'to' is not omitted.
This phrase can also have the sense of being successful.
I hope this helps.
Sherry

Re: Take you places/grammar from a_limon, posted on 07-07-2012 at 21:03:50 (D | E)
Hello,Sherry. So, my suggestion that the word "places" acts as an adverb (not direct or indirect objects)here is right?(while the "you" is direct object here) Please, try to understand me...with my numerous Russian cases it has a big difference for the right translation. Though I understand it and could express the thought, I would like to choose the closest translation of this phrase.(the Russian language is too rich for expressing the same thought..) Thank you.

Re: Take you places/grammar from sherry48, posted on 08-07-2012 at 22:53:33 (D | E)
Hello.
Ah, the fine points of grammar! Those who learn English as a second language sometimes know more about grammar than a native speaker does! The word place or places is most often a noun or verb, but an adverb of place comes after the verb and answers the question where. Where will he take you? He will take you places.
Sherry

Re: Take you places/grammar from a_limon, posted on 08-07-2012 at 23:59:50 (D | E)
Hello!
The word place or places is most often a noun or verb, but an adverb of place comes after the verb and answers the question where. Where will he take you? He will take you places.
You mean that "places" is the adverb here yet? I mean if "you" were indirect object,then the noun "places" could be the "direct object", couldn't be? But as the "you" is direct object,then "places" may not be the indirect object or the second direct. So, it is adverb here,isn't it?

Re: Take you places/grammar from traviskidd, posted on 09-07-2012 at 06:04:47 (D | E)
Hello.

In English, there exist two obsolete words "whither" (= to where) and "whence" (= from where).

Whence did you come?
Where are you?
Whither are you going?

Nowadays, "where" (without "to") has the additional sense that "whither" used to have.

Where did you come from?
Where are you?
Where are you going?

Similarly, "places" can be used (without "to") as an adverb denoting a destination. This can be considered an indirect object -- in Russian it usually is, but in English it usually isn't.

See you.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux