Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Grammar/along with

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Grammar/along with
Message from onlyenglish posted on 15-02-2013 at 14:27:51 (D | E | F)
Hello everyone,
this is my first post to this site, I'm interested to get help for learning in getting help to learn more complicated structures in English. Could you help me please?
Regards.

question: Plant disease, ........ ruined most of the corps.
1)along with a prolonged drought, has
2)together with a prolonged drought, has
3)with prolonged drought, have
4)along with prolonged drought, have

Can sb somebody give me a kind of explanation for this?
tnx Thanks.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 15-02-2013 20:51

Re: Grammar/along with from gerondif, posted on 15-02-2013 at 14:38:03 (D | E)
Hello,

Hello every one, this is my first post to this site, I'm interested in getting help (in order) to learn more complicated structures in English, regards.

question: Plant disease, ........ ruined most of the crops.

1)along with a prolonged drought, has
2)together with a prolonged drought, has
3)with prolonged drought, have
4)along with prolonged drought, have

You have to choose one of the four solutions and insert it in your sentence. The last two are plural and probably don't fit.

I found this on the internet: "What happens in a drought? What is the current situation? Information on water restrictions and what you can do if a drought occurs."

so drought can be countable! Consequently, I would choose 2)

Re: Grammar/along with from notrepere, posted on 15-02-2013 at 17:28:33 (D | E)
Hello

I find 1 and 2 to be fine, but apparently they don't say "along with" in British English.

Re: Grammar/along with from gerondif, posted on 15-02-2013 at 17:45:59 (D | E)
Hello np,

I didn't check "along with" versus "together with", I would have said that along with is fine with people whereas together with is more general, but that could just be a figment of my imagination.

dictionary on line:

along adv (accompanying) avec prép
When Joe goes to the shops, his sister likes to come along too.
Quand Joe va faire les magasins, sa sœur aime bien venir avec lui.

but it also says:
along with prep (together with ) avec prép

After all, we don't know how many entries are supposed to be correct in onlyenglish's exercise....

Re: Grammar/along with from notrepere, posted on 15-02-2013 at 20:15:17 (D | E)
Hello gerondif

I found "along with" in one BE dictionary, but "together with" is more common. In AE, "together with" is only used in formal documents. It sounds a bit "stuffy" to me. For that reason, I suspect "2" is the intended answer.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux