Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Double construction verbs/help

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Double construction verbs/help
Message from angrepa posted on 23-03-2013 at 22:39:58 (D | E | F)
Hello,

very interesting exercise No.98312, but it was a bit difficult for me to understand when to use either the to-infinitive or the -ing form. I made a mess.
Could you give a brief explanation about the difference?
I´d appreciate your help.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 23-03-2013 23:06

Re: Double construction verbs/help from notrepere, posted on 23-03-2013 at 22:51:49 (D | E)
Hello

Here is something that might help:
Link

Suffice it to say that some verbs can be used in either form, some only in the infinitive form and others only in the -ing. You just need to memorize them.

Re: Double construction verbs/help from gerondif, posted on 23-03-2013 at 23:11:08 (D | E)
Hello,

If I look at that lesson, I might want to change *one sentence or one explanation:

I - To be afraid to + infinitive To be afraid + préposition + ing (avoir peur de)

Somebody is looking at this abrupt cliff. She could say:

a) I am afraid to climb this abrupt cliff (She is afraid to do it * but she intends to do it nevertheless or she may have to do it).

(I am afraid to hurt you if we start boxing because I am bigger and stronger than you.)(you hesitate to act)(You are reluctant to do it)

b) I am afraid of sliding on this abrupt cliff (I am afraid because I might slide ) (You are afraid of the consequences that might happen in spite of your carefulness)

Despite the negotiations, the workers are afraid of being laid off (consequences) (so they are afraid to go on strike)(afraid to act)

II - To be sorry to + V infinitif or to be sorry for + V en ing( être désolé, être navré)

a) I am sorry to interrupt what you are saying but, may I ask you a question ?
You are sorry for what you are doing as you speak.

b) He said to his friend, I am sorry for losing my temper yesterday = I am sorry because I lost my temper yesterday, it happened before, it is a regret about a past action.

In English, for + ing has a past meaning:
"He was arrested for fighting" actually means; "He was arrested for "having fought""
Thank you for helping me means: I thank you because you have helped me.

Re: Double construction verbs/help from notrepere, posted on 23-03-2013 at 23:26:26 (D | E)
Hello gerondif

Honestly, this sentence does not sound correct to me in the infinitive form:

I am afraid to hurt you if we start boxing because I am bigger and stronger than you.

You could use the verb "box" in the infinitive form here, though:

I am afraid to box you because I might hurt you.

I am afraid of hurting you if we start boxing... sounds OK to me.

When you say "I am afraid to hurt you...", it sounds more like a "fear" (I'm scared of doing it) instead of "I'm worried that I might..." and it almost sounds like you want to hurt them.

I am afraid to hurt you, but I will if I have to.

---------------------------------

I am sorry to interrupt you but ... this sounds much more harsh. It sounds like you intended to cut off their talking.
I am sorry for... sounds much more polite; I don't really want to do it but...

Re: Double construction verbs/help from gerondif, posted on 23-03-2013 at 23:35:04 (D | E)
Hello np,
I see what you mean, as I re read my post, the sentence "I am afraid of hurting you if I box with you" was lurking at the back of my head....

If "I am afraid" is closer to "I don't really want to", it could make sense though but it is a little "tiré par les cheveux" (far fetched).

Yes, "sorry for barging in" would sound more normal but then you apologize just after barging in....

What I intended to be clear (afraid to act versus afraid of the consequences) will be dimmer to angrepa after all our doubts.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux