Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Your use of English/help

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Your use of English/help
Message from again57 posted on 07-08-2013 at 10:21:25 (D | E | F)
Hello everyone!

I am creating this topic, because I would like to know how you guys learn and use English every single day (or not). Indeed, even though I was following a training which lasted almost 3 months and I watch English news every day, moreover I try to practice a little as often as I can on the BBC learning English. However, I find I don't get better enough, indeed on the one hand I really have the feeling that my level is now stable. I mean, though I do all these things above, for 2 or 3 months I have not understood better when I listen anything from the radio or TV. On the other hand, I would like to know how you learn vocabulary (if you have any tips), indeed you know at first you write some words in a note book and you read them some times, but when you have so many words, the system does not work anymore. Besides, if I practice by listening and a little bit by reading, it is true that I don't have a lot of opportunities to speak or write (except here!).

So, please guys tell me your advice and way of doing.

Thank you for reading me and answer.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 07-08-2013 10:48

Re: Your use of English/help from nick, posted on 07-08-2013 at 11:24:00 (D | E)
Hello,

I think you are far much too impatient ! Learning a language takes time, little by little. What you are doing at the moment is just fine. But don't give up, go on reading, listening, writing and so on. It also depends on how your brain is working: is it while reading, hearing or doing ?? Once you know that, give your brain the right food ! And the key word: TIME ! Time is your best friend.
One last thing: there is no miracle: work, courage and time!
Hope you're not too disappointed by my answer!
Have a nice day,
Nick

Re: Your use of English/help from again57, posted on 07-08-2013 at 15:29:52 (D | E)
Hello nick,

Thank you for your answer, do not worry, I am not too disappointed.
To be more exact, somehow it reassures me, actually. Indeed that means I am not so bad...
Nevertheless, you know I think I am more kinesthetic, in fact. But, my problem is at first when I started to learn English, I used to work too much by writing or reading. So that, later when I followed my English training, I was very surprised by the oral English. Really, when our professor said to us "messeulle" for "muscle" or "claim" without to pronounce "b" for "climb". Consequently, it was difficult enough for me (not even only for me) to understand what was said. That is the reason why I began to be more interested in an oral work. Moreover, it takes some time to write, so it seems to me that is simpler to listen and more particularly to watch TV than to write. Besides, it is what I am the most interested in. Indeed, I believe that a language is above all something which must be spoken. At last, the last but not least… I don’t have anyone to speak or write, and it’s why I can’t have an active work by doing things and not just to catch them from books or TV…

Once more, thanks for your answer nick.

Re: Your use of English/help from nick, posted on 07-08-2013 at 16:25:29 (D | E)
I'm glad you're not discouraged !
Do not forget that there is always a gap between oral and writing. Even in your mother tongue !
You also have to get used to different pronunciations, not only between British English and American English. But inside those countries you have different ways of pronouncing. Moreover English speaking people won't necessarily slow down when they meet a foreigner.
But you may be interested in an exercise, here on the forum: Triple Word Challenge by jonquille, a charming American lady. She gives you 3 words (a verb/a noun and an adjective) and... and you write what you want, what you can. Fantastic brain training! And icing on the cake: she will correct your text! Wonderful, isn't it?

Read, listen, write, talk to yourself aloud ! Why not ? As long as you enjoy it. It must be and remain a pleasure to discover new words, new accents and one day you'll be ready !!
It doesn't really matter if you don't have anybody to talk to for the time being.Like a squirrel, you are storing stuff...

Whenever you want,
Nick

Re: Your use of English/help from lucile83, posted on 07-08-2013 at 18:31:42 (D | E)
Hello,

What nick said is right: speak to yourself, aloud or not!
I have been learning and speaking English for...57 years so far, and I keep on practising with TV, films and British, American or Australian people. Also I think in English nearly all day long; it is a nice habit and good self-training.

Re: Your use of English/help from lemagemasque, posted on 07-08-2013 at 19:25:42 (D | E)
Hello!

What about translating some sentences you come across? You can pick up some on a poster, in a book, on TV... That could be really fun and you would learn some new words.
You could also write some essays and publish them on the forum.
Also you could go abroad. You would meet new friends.
Chatting by webcam is also a great idea! You could get acquainted with some accents.

See you!

Re: Your use of English/help from lilian90, posted on 08-08-2013 at 16:20:59 (D | E)
Hello

maybe you can try some dictation,that is ,listening to some news ,like BBC or VOA,then try to write down what you have listened.
stop every 5 seconds is the appropriate.
if you do this ,you can improve your listening and writing at the same time.
wish you can get an improvement soon.

Re: Your use of English/help from again57, posted on 11-08-2013 at 13:13:05 (D | E)
Hello everybody,

Thank you for your answers and sorry to reply late.

Thank you nick for your tips, I will try to have a look on these exercices proposed on the forum. For the rest, actually I already did them. I read, watch TV and listen English every day, Even, I already talked to my PC aloud and alone... But, in fact, I must recognize that I really do not know what to say to my computer, it's easier when someone is in front of your to have an exchange.

Lemagemasque, in fact, I also do these things, translating and so on, but about chatting by webcam, unfortunately, that supposes to have someone to speak with.

Lillian, indeed, it's what I do almost everyday I am on the BBC and other sites.

Lucile, indeed I agree with you and even with all of you here.

So, finally, your stories are exactly what I do, so it seems that I do the good things to progress. You reassure me and I am going to keep practising in this way and one day I will be ready!

Thank you everybody for your answers and again sorry for being late in my answer.
Have a nice weekend

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux