Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]


Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !



- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site



> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites
   


The less - the less/help

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]


The less - the less/help
Message from ibowsky posted on 17-08-2013 at 16:45:16 (D | E | F)
Hello,

Could you help me please?

"The less clumsy she is the less cups she breaks."
I can't understand this sentence.
Who can indicate me the logic of the words?
Thank you for your answers.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 17-08-2013 17:50


Re: The less - the less/help from dolfine56, posted on 17-08-2013 at 17:20:10 (D | E)
hello Ibowsky,

I think it would be "the more clumsy she is, the more cups she breaks.
don't you think so?




Re: The less - the less/help from sherry48, posted on 17-08-2013 at 17:33:31 (D | E)
Hello.
As Dolfine said, when a person is clumsy, they will break a lot of cups!
When a person becomes more competent, they will drop fewer cups, and therefore not many will be broken.
I hope that helps.
Sherry



Re: The less - the less/help from hortensia, posted on 17-08-2013 at 18:41:58 (D | E)
Hello Ibowsky!
You could also say: "the clumsier..."
Have a nice evening!



Re: The less - the less/help from lemagemasque, posted on 19-08-2013 at 18:22:32 (D | E)
Hello!

"The less clumsy she is the less cups she breaks" comes from a test of mine: Link

I wasn't really imaginative at that moment...
Indeed, that makes more sense if you say "the more clumsy she is the more cups she breaks".
Anyway, you can't find many sentences with "the less... the less...".
See you!



Re: The less - the less/help from lucile83, posted on 19-08-2013 at 18:41:30 (D | E)
Hello lemagemasque

I proofread your test and I modified that sentence, because it was not correct in fact.
It would have been ok if you had written:
The less clumsy she is the fewer cups she breaks ...but it would have been off the subject (the less...the less).
I changed it into:
The less clumsy she is the less she cries.



Re: The less - the less/help from lemagemasque, posted on 21-08-2013 at 12:03:48 (D | E)
Hello lucile!

Right!
I thought I was OK with "less/fewer" but I was wrong... Really tricky grammar point!
Thank you!
See you!




[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]


Forum > English only


 


> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux |