Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Synonyms / fearless

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Synonyms / fearless
Message from eternalsunshine posted on 19-08-2013 at 14:06:40 (D | E | F)
Hi everyone

I need your advice about a word "fearless".
Actually I would like a tattoo about the end of my anxiety and panic disorders, and I wonder whether "fearless" is the correct word.
To me, this word means "No more fear, no more panic", but is it correct? Or does it mean "I've never been afraid for all my life"..? So it wouldn't work with the meaning of my tattoo..
Could someone help me to find another synonym?
PS : I don't like "No panic", I'd like something more poetic.. If it's possible of course.
Thanks !

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 19-08-2013 16:17

Re: Synonyms / fearless from hortensia, posted on 19-08-2013 at 15:36:11 (D | E)
Hello!
Why not try the three "F"s? : "Free From Fear!"
Have a nice day!

Re: Synonyms / fearless from eternalsunshine, posted on 19-08-2013 at 15:40:33 (D | E)
That's a nice idea thank you !

Do you think the word "fearless" isn't correct?

Re: Synonyms / fearless from hortensia, posted on 19-08-2013 at 16:24:16 (D | E)
Well, you know, "fearless" means "without any fear". It doesn't mean "with no more fear". From what I understand, you'd like to mention that you "now" have no more fear, but ... you had some "in the past!" Therefore, "fearless" doesn't quite correspond to what you are looking for! Do you see what I mean?

Re: Synonyms / fearless from eternalsunshine, posted on 19-08-2013 at 16:28:07 (D | E)
Yes I see, and that's why I asked for advice, because I was not really sure about this meaning.
So thank you really to explain this word
Except the 3 "f", do you have an idea for a word (or two) which could be correct?
Have a nice day !

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 19-08-2013 18:20

Re: Synonyms / fearless from hortensia, posted on 19-08-2013 at 16:50:50 (D | E)
No, I'm sorry I can't think of anything of this kind. What you want to express needs at least three words, I suppose. Even in French, we need three words: ("même pas peur", or "même plus peur") ! It would be easier if you just wanted to mention that you are fearless. In this case, of course, you would only need one word. But to express that you are no longer frightened or scared now, you need (in my opinion) at least three words!

Re: Synonyms / fearless from lucile83, posted on 19-08-2013 at 18:26:32 (D | E)
Hello,

No longer fearful ...3 words

Re: Synonyms / fearless from eternalsunshine, posted on 19-08-2013 at 18:34:44 (D | E)
Hello !
Thanks to correct my mistakes
That's a good idea but could you explain me "ful" of "fearful" please? I never understand it. (Like in "hopeful" for example)

Re: Synonyms / fearless from hortensia, posted on 19-08-2013 at 18:38:19 (D | E)
Yes Lucile, that's what I told Eternalsunshine: at least three words are necessary to express that she isn't scared anymore! But she wanted to know if she could use only one word to mention that "she was no longer scared"! Do you think there exist a word like that in English? I haven't found any so far!

Re: Synonyms / fearless from hortensia, posted on 19-08-2013 at 18:41:54 (D | E)
xxx
The double "ll" becomes a single "l" at the end of the word, that is why it is : "beautiful" for example, with only one "l"!

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 19-08-2013 18:48
No French here; it is the English only forum

Re: Synonyms / fearless from notrepere, posted on 19-08-2013 at 18:44:57 (D | E)
Hello

I think "fearless" is actually a very good word. It doesn't mean the absence of fear, but it means that you're not going to live your life in fear any longer. When fear arises, you can look at that tattoo and remind yourself that in spite of the fear you are going to move forward (feel the fear but do it anyway).

Re: Synonyms / fearless from eternalsunshine, posted on 19-08-2013 at 18:48:16 (D | E)
Ahhhh thank you !
Well, if 2 words aren't enough, I accept 3 words too ;)
And is the sentence "Not scared anymore" correct?

Notrepere > I thought "fearless" meant only the absence of fear, but if you tell me it doesn't, I think that's okay, so thank you very much !

Re: Synonyms / fearless from hortensia, posted on 19-08-2013 at 18:53:42 (D | E)
Why not try: "Fearless at last!" (which mentions that you used to be fearful, but you aren't any longer!

Re: Synonyms / fearless from eternalsunshine, posted on 19-08-2013 at 19:02:42 (D | E)
Well umm, that's perfect :D
Thank you very much for all your answers !

Have a nice day

Re: Synonyms / fearless from hortensia, posted on 19-08-2013 at 19:09:09 (D | E)
You're welcome! Have a great evening!

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux