|> Plus de cours & d'exercices d'anglais sur les mêmes thèmes : | Adverbes | Confusions | Mots | Proverbes [Autres thèmes]|
|> Tests similaires : - Bilan orthographique de base / débutants - Prétérit ou present perfect - Adjectives and adverbs - Adverbes de fréquence - Although / in spite of / despite - Adverbes : Still, yet et already - Attendre : wait/expect - Again ou Back?|
|> Double-cliquez sur n'importe quel terme pour obtenir une traduction...|
Maybe ou May be
'Maybe' and 'May be' are almost identical but that little space between could be confusing.
Probably this lesson will help you understand.
(1) Our boss was sick yesterday so he may be absent from work today. Maybe our meeting will be postponed until he comes back.
(2) He may be creative or maybe he is not normal.
A bit more detail...
MAYBE (adverb):'Maybe' is an adverb that means the same as perhaps. It is written as one word to indicate uncertainty.
(1) Maybe no one will come to the party tonight = Perhaps no one will come to the party tonight.
(2) A: I thought Suzy would be here now. B: Maybe she forgot = Perhaps she forgot.
MAY BE (verb phrase):Here, 'may' and 'be' are two separate words; 'be' is a main verb supported by a modal (may) to indicate possibility.
(1) She may be lost = It is possible that she is lost.
(2) This may be the best website = This is possibly the best website.Oh yes, it is!!!
So, how are you going to remember the difference between these words.
Here are some tricks:>> 'maybe' and 'adverb' are each one word... 'may be' and 'verb phrase' are each two words.
>> Since 'may be' is a verb, there should a subject before it.
>> Also, 'maybe' and 'perhaps' have same meanings. If you can put 'perhaps' in a sentence and it still makes sense, then you should be using 'maybe' in that same sentence.
You may be a genius now - or maybe should take the test.
Exercice d'anglais "Maybe ou May be" créé par anuesther avec le générateur de tests - créez votre propre test ! [Plus de cours et d'exercices de anuesther]
Voir les statistiques de réussite de ce test d'anglais
Merci de vous connecter au club pour sauvegarder votre résultat.
Fin de l'exercice d'anglais "Maybe ou May be"
Un exercice d'anglais gratuit pour apprendre l'anglais.
Tous les exercices | Plus de cours et d'exercices d'anglais sur les mêmes thèmes : | Adverbes | Confusions | Mots | Proverbes