|> Plus de cours & d'exercices d'anglais sur les mêmes thèmes : Adverbes | Confusions | Connecteurs [Autres thèmes]|
|> Tests similaires : - Bilan orthographique de base / débutants - Prétérit ou present perfect - Adjectives and adverbs - Attendre : wait/expect - Adverbes de fréquence - Although / in spite of / despite - Adverbes : Still, yet et already - Again ou Back?|
|> Double-cliquez sur n'importe quel terme pour obtenir une traduction...|
Already ou Yet
"Already" and "yet" are time expressions.
They can be used in affirmatives (statements) and questions.
ALREADY or YET
We use already in positive statements to refer to something which has happened before the moment of speaking (sooner than expected)
- The baby is only eight months old, but she walks already!
- A: When are you going to send me the information? B: I have already sent it. I sent it yesterday.
Using already in a question often expresses surprise on the part of the speaker, that something is unexpected or happens sooner than expected;
- Have you finished your work already? (the speaker is surprised that you have finished your work by now. It is sooner than expected)
- Is it 7 o'clock already? (the speaker didn't expect it to be so late)
We use yet in negative statements to talk about something which is expected but has not happened (later than expected)
- The baby is almost 18 months old and she doesn't walk yet. (Poor thing. Something must be wrong)
- A: Where will you be staying? B: I haven't decided yet, but somewhere in the city centre.
Yet often appears in a negative question, meaning that something which was supposed to have happened already has not happened.
You are surprised that it hasn't
- Doesn't the baby walk yet?
- Haven't you sent me that information yet?
In summary: already means 'sooner than expected', yet means 'later than expected'.
Now that you are ready for the test, complete the following sentences with 'already' or 'yet'.
Exercice d'anglais "Already ou Yet" créé par anuesther avec le générateur de tests - créez votre propre test ! [Plus de cours et d'exercices de anuesther]
Voir les statistiques de réussite de ce test d'anglais
Merci de vous connecter au club pour sauvegarder votre résultat.
Fin de l'exercice d'anglais "Already ou Yet"
Un exercice d'anglais gratuit pour apprendre l'anglais. (tags: adverbe confusion connecteur )
Tous les exercices | Plus de cours et d'exercices d'anglais sur les mêmes thèmes : Adverbes | Confusions | Connecteurs
Fiches de grammaire anglaise | Documents audios/vidéos en anglais | CREER UN TEST