|> Plus de cours & d'exercices d'anglais sur les mêmes thèmes : Adverbes | Confusions [Autres thèmes]|
|> Tests similaires : - Bilan orthographique de base / débutants - Prétérit ou present perfect - Adjectives and adverbs - Attendre : wait/expect - Adverbes de fréquence - Although / in spite of / despite - Adverbes : Still, yet et already - Again ou Back?|
|> Double-cliquez sur n'importe quel terme pour obtenir une traduction...|
Quite et rather
Means less than 'very' but more than 'a little' :
- The film was quite good but the book was much better.
- She is quite attractive, but not what I'd call gorgeous.
- She lives quite near me, so we can see each other quite often.
- I quite like reading but it is not my favourite pastime.
Quite a : goes before a / an
- He is quite a good soccer player ( not a quite good soccer player)
is similar to quite. We use rather mainly with negative words and negative ideas :
- He is limping rather badly
- 'What was the examination like ? ''Rather difficult , I am afraid.'
- I was quite pleased with the hotel but she was rather disappointed.
When we use rather with positive words it means 'unusually' or 'surprisingly' :
- These pears are rather nice ( nicer than expected ) where did you buy them ?
QUITE also means 'completely' and NOT QUITE not completely :
- He has quite recovered from his illness - They have not quite finished their lunch yet
Especially with a number of adjectives :
sure, certain, right, wrong, true, safe, clear,different, incredible,
extraordinary, amazing, impossible, unnecessary, obvious
- I am sorry .It is quite impossible, I can't come !
- Are you sure ? Yes, quite sure
Exercice d'anglais "Quite et rather" créé par anonyme avec le générateur de tests - créez votre propre test !
Voir les statistiques de réussite de ce test d'anglais
Merci de vous connecter au club pour sauvegarder votre résultat.
Fin de l'exercice d'anglais "Quite et rather"
Un exercice d'anglais gratuit pour apprendre l'anglais. (tags: adverbe confusion )
Tous les exercices | Plus de cours et d'exercices d'anglais sur les mêmes thèmes : Adverbes | Confusions
Fiches de grammaire anglaise | Documents audios/vidéos en anglais | CREER UN TEST