|> Plus de cours & d'exercices d'anglais sur le même thème : Modaux [Autres thèmes]|
|> Tests similaires : - Modaux: CAN/MUST-cours pour débutants - Modaux-cours pour débutants - Modaux - Modaux : Permission/obligation/possibilité - Bilan de connaissances 1 - Modal can (vidéo) - Modal : may/might - Pouvoir : Can, Could, May, might?|
|> Double-cliquez sur n'importe quel terme pour obtenir une traduction...|
Modal verbs 2
Can, could, and be able to, talking about ability.
A- We sometimes use be able to instead of can and could to talk about ability. However, we avoid be able to:
=> when we talk about something that is happening as we speak:
- Watch me, Mum; I can stand on one leg, ( not... I'm able to stand on one leg)
=> Before passives:
- CDs can now be copied easily. (rather than CDs are now able to be copied..)
=> When the meaning is know how to:
- Can you cook? (rather than Are you able to cook?)
B- If we talk about a single achievement, rather than a general ability in the past, we usually use be able to rather than could. Compare:
- Sue could play the flute quite well. (or ..was able to...; a general ability) and
- She swam strongly and she was able to cross the river easily, even though it was swollen by the heavy rain. (not She swam strongly and could cross....; a specific achievement)
However, could is usually more natural:
=> In negative sentences:
- I tried to get up but I couldn't move. ( rather than .. I wasn't able to move.)
=> With sense verbs- e.g. feel, hear, see, smell, taste- and with verbs of thinking
e.g.believe,decide, remember, understand:
- I could remember the crash, but nothing after that. ( rather than I was able to remember...)
=> After the phrases the only thing/ place/ time, and after all when it means the only thing:
- All we could see were his feet. (rather than All we were able to ....)
=> To suggest that something almost didn't happen, especially with almost, hardly, just, nearly:
- I could nearly touch the ceiling. ( rather than I was nearly able to... )
Choose the correct or more natural answer.
Exercice d'anglais "Modal verbs 2" créé par felin avec le générateur de tests - créez votre propre test ! [Plus de cours et d'exercices de felin]
Voir les statistiques de réussite de ce test d'anglais
Merci de vous connecter au club pour sauvegarder votre résultat.
Fin de l'exercice d'anglais "Modal verbs 2"
Un exercice d'anglais gratuit pour apprendre l'anglais. (tags: modal )
Tous les exercices | Plus de cours et d'exercices d'anglais sur le même thème : Modaux
Fiches de grammaire anglaise | Documents audios/vidéos en anglais | CREER UN TEST